The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Copenhagen review

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
President

President

Copenhagen review Empty
PostSubject: Copenhagen review   Copenhagen review EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 4:20 am

The Cats made it to the pages of the biggest Danish daily paper:

http://jp.dk/kultur/popmusik/concerts/article1425134.ece

Pres
Back to top Go down
http://www.babesociety.dk
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

Copenhagen review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copenhagen review   Copenhagen review EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 9:27 am

Pres,
Now if we could only READ it! Hahahahaa!
-Tommy
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
sidelakebob

sidelakebob

Copenhagen review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copenhagen review   Copenhagen review EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 9:45 am

[quote="TommyM"]Pres,
Now if we could only READ it! Hahahahaa!
-Tommy[/quote

My Danish is better then my English...The rewiew was very good. Wink
Back to top Go down
President

President

Copenhagen review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copenhagen review   Copenhagen review EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 10:15 am

I will give You a few select passages:

"The stylish veterans in Stray Cats said their farewell with an energy that made You suspect that these cats have in fact a tenth life."

...then he talks about rockabilly in general and how Stray Cats has made their mark in history for 30 years....

"Their musical concept has proven so strong that they are now on an almost sold out worldwide farewell tour"

....he goes on about being blown away by the audience - their clothes, ducktails and very tattooed girls... Smile

"Metal boys with a rock history conscience, MC enthutiasts with retro-love in their blood and a lot of very slick hairdo's....."

"The Stray Cats ignited (for maybe the last time in Copenhagen) their calorie-bomb of pure energy - and some of the groups biggest hits caused absolute euforia...i.e. a smokin' "Runaway Boys", "Sexy & 17".....and of course the manifest "Rock This Town".

....and he ends on a note of "please come back"....

"Can You really trust that the sneaky old cat does not return to the fence howlin' at the moon once more? Cher and Sinatra already taught us that "Goodbye" is easily confused with "See You soon...."

Pres.
Back to top Go down
http://www.babesociety.dk
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

Copenhagen review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copenhagen review   Copenhagen review EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 10:15 am

Thanks Bob!
Back to top Go down
brent

brent

Copenhagen review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copenhagen review   Copenhagen review EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 10:50 am

It's great to read a good review from anybody about the Cats! Keep showing Europe how to rock, Brian. And Tommy, thanks for making us poor folks on the other side of the pond feel as though we're along for the ride.
Back to top Go down
http://tigersharks.ca
embassystormer

embassystormer

Copenhagen review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copenhagen review   Copenhagen review EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 5:18 pm

Great gig..And thanks to Tommy for putting my pic up on the coverage page of the Copenhagen gig! What an honour!
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

Copenhagen review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copenhagen review   Copenhagen review EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 5:19 pm

It's a great shot!! Thank YOU my friend!
-Tommy
Back to top Go down
embassystormer

embassystormer

Copenhagen review Empty
PostSubject: the complete review translated, 4 stars of 6 possible.   Copenhagen review EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 10:33 am

Stray Cats, Amagerbio, Rockabilly.

Even a cat, has only nine lives, and the rockabilly-veterans of the Stray Cats sang their crying and hooting swan song on Saturday evening at Amager Bio.

The American trio has ever since the formation 30 years ago, stuck stubbornly and uncompromisingly to the thudding rockabilly-tradition, where the music and the fashion are a clean flashback to the teen-dream from the 1950s:

Smart and rebellious young men with duck-tail hair styles - accompanied of vigorous and stylishly dressed pin-up girls, who were along for the ride.
Whether in the case of authentic nostalgia or a wet retro-imagination is completely unimportant, because the Stray Cats has conquered one's coloured niche in the notion of a sexy and innocent decade, where the young people stood for the soundtrack and the dreams.

This musical concept has appeared so durable that the group now plays their Farewell Tour aropund the world at totally sold out theaters.

Fun in the subculture:

Among other things in the sold out Amager Bio, which on Saturday resembled a party, where 50s clothings were dictated as dresscode.

Bristly tulle dresses and bold suits, and then I have never seen so many women with so many whole-fat tattoos gathered at one venue site.

It was a bit mindblowing, and this evening on Amager appeared not just to be a farewell party for the main characters:

It was the colorfull subculture's party:

Metal-boys with rock-historical consciousness, MC-enthusiasts with retro-love in the blood - and fellows with millimetre groomed jelly-tight hair styles, that just got a last check in front of the mirror, before it began.

And so it did, with hard-boiled musical consequences.

The Stray Cats-trio ignited for, what may be the last time in Copenhagen, its calory-bomb of closely packed energy, where some of the group's greatest hits were also starting signals to euphoria.

The living rock museum.

This was the breathtaking "Runaway Boys" and "(She's) Sexy & 17" - and, of course, the manifesto-light-hearted "Rock This Town" with the clear message: "Well we found a little place that did not look half bad / I 'll have a whiskey on the rocks and change of a U.S. dollars for the jukebox / Well, I put a quarter right into that can / but all it played was disco man / Come on pretty baby, let's get outta here right away! "

Admittedly it is also just as much due to retro-rock-puritanisme and rock-around-the-clock-nostalgia, that the Stray Cats have never been given a prominent place in my record collection. However, as a live-band experience it was a wonderful visit around a living music museum.

Kings of felines.

A universe where the Stray Cats are the epitome of cool backyard-mountain lions, now in their old days have chosen to retire while being dignifieded kings of the genre.

Or can we really in the fact that the cunning old male cat won't return to the fence to once more for yet another round of moon howling?? Cher and Sinatra have taught us that a "goodbye" may be confused with a "see you later", so don't be sorprised if the stray cats return to your neighborhood.

-Emabssystormer's note: i hope my translation is good enough..English is not my native language-
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

Copenhagen review Empty
PostSubject: Copenhagen's Heroes   Copenhagen review EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 11:12 am

Oh how I hate reviews like this! I'd rather see a bad review than some guy who just doesn't get it. The Stray Cats don't hold a place in his record collection because they are TOO PURE! Yet Purists dislike them for not being pure enough.Not a word is mentioned about the boys Musicianship, songwriting, creativity. Just hair gel and tattoos. Not a mention of Brian's NINE Grammy nominations,just some wisecrack about being Rock around the clock nostalgia.
Somebody tell this jerk to go back to his Neil Young records.
By the way, this is the first time ever that the boys have sold out Copenhagen(1,000 tickets, big deal)
Just be grateful they even stopped by your little Polser Wagon.

scratch
Back to top Go down
embassystormer

embassystormer

Copenhagen review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copenhagen review   Copenhagen review EmptyThu Sep 04, 2008 11:59 am

TommyM wrote:
Oh how I hate reviews like this! I'd rather see a bad review than some guy who just doesn't get it. The Stray Cats don't hold a place in his record collection because they are TOO PURE! Yet Purists dislike them for not being pure enough.Not a word is mentioned about the boys Musicianship, songwriting, creativity. Just hair gel and tattoos. Not a mention of Brian's NINE Grammy nominations,just some wisecrack about being Rock around the clock nostalgia.
Somebody tell this jerk to go back to his Neil Young records.
By the way, this is the first time ever that the boys have sold out Copenhagen(1,000 tickets, big deal)
Just be grateful they even stopped by your little Polser Wagon.

scratch

I agree, he talks more about the audience than the music..And i totally agree with the purist crap..The Cats are not "pure" rockabilly, i think the closest we get is Brian's Rockabilly Riot.
And this is where Brian, Lee and Jim stands out from the crowd, they did it their way..

And concerning tickets...The guys are relatively unknown here, they never hardly get radio airplay in any constellation they're in. I asked one of the nationwide radiostations (Radio 100FM that plays a lot of 80s music) about playing some Stray Cats.."We don't have it.." They said.

If you want to buy a CD, well it's "sorry, we can order it for you.." most of the time.

And don't blame me for the concerts not being sold out... i HAD bought a ticket for the very first gig in Copenhagen, the one that got cancelled...it took me years of therapy to get over that one
pale

The second one..Well, i was flat broke..Shoot me.

How many times have they played here?? I only know of one. Maybe Rosklide as well??
Call it lack of promotion..

Anyway as i said, they were never that huge here...They are "just" a cult band here, as the rockabilly scene is quite small.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Copenhagen review Empty
PostSubject: Re: Copenhagen review   Copenhagen review Empty

Back to top Go down

Copenhagen review
Page 1 of 1