The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it

Go down 
+7
Dave
radiationsteve
rockabilly guy
TommyM
Michael
Mikey
DEXTER
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DEXTER

DEXTER

Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it Empty
PostSubject: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 10:15 pm

Hey, just to get away from the tour for a minute, anybody remember the Cats on Jim'll Fix It, or Setzer on Pop Quiz, singing Be Bop A Lula???? |Your memories will be gratefully accepted!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/286
Mikey

PostSubject: Pop Quiz & Jim'll Fix It   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 2:23 am

Hey Dexter. I remember it was some girl who did the Jim'll fix It thing, and I saw the Pop Quiz at the time, but my memory is fuzzy. I remember the Be Bop A Lula though... Who else was on I don't recall. I remember Radio 1's round table, where they would review the latest relases. Brian was playing footsie with Pamela Stephenson, and i think they even ended up under the table at one point... ha ha happy days

Mikey x
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
Michael

PostSubject: Re: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 4:39 am

I remember those british tv shows well as a young teenager!

Jim will fix it .. Autumn / winter 81 - A young girl was a big cats fan and she got to meet them and she drove around with Brian in his 1957 chevy down in what I think was Brighton. they then played "little miss prissy" ( a great under rated song!)

Pop Quiz was from April 82 ( I still have it on audio tape somewhere) Brian at this stage had his hair a brown colour and for extra points sang a few opening lines of be bop a lula. I also remember he got a question wrong about Dave Edmunds! I wonder did the welsh rocker ever tease him about that?

Do you remember them doing Rock this town on " Little and Large"in Feb 81 ...

Happy memories.
Michael
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 7:50 am

Do you UK Cats remember when the Cats were on 'Tis Was and someone chucked or tried to chuck a pie at Slim Jim and he gave them a piece of his mind? I've never seen it, but Dennis Cockell has told me that story several times. That's something that I'd like to see on YouTube.

-Tommy
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
rockabilly guy

rockabilly guy

PostSubject: Re: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 12:59 pm

I remember being SOOOOO jealous of the girl on Jim'll Fix It.I was going to write in myself.Was gutted.Especially when she got to ride round in the car and then I remember she was actually on stage when they performed the song.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabilly81
radiationsteve

radiationsteve

PostSubject: Re: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 3:46 pm

Yeah, although it was 25 years ago i still remember both like it was yesterday!
Pop Quiz was funny because Brian had the words to a song on the screen and he had to name the song and artist.....i was really surprised he didn't get it....i was shouting at my tv 'It's 'King Creole' by Elvis Presley'!!!! 'How easy'....but he wasn't even surprised when Mike Read told him what the answer was!
I remember him being asked to sing 'Be-bop-a-lula' and he kinda pretended to strum it on an invisable guitar while still sitting in his seat. I only watch programmes like that when someone i like is on.
As for 'Jim'll fix it' i use to view it a lot, hoping that Stray Cats would be on. And as soon as Jim starting to read a letter from a girl that said she would like to met Brian Setzer, Slim Jim Phantom, and Lee Rocker, i was glued to the set! He (Jimmy Saville) said something about their hairstyles, then they should the Cats in Brighton! i think 'Little miss prissy' was playing on that brighton video, but it might have been in the studio....suddenly as i remember, it begins to fade!
Anyway, the audience were very noisey when Stray Cats entered the studio stage with their leathers on like on the 'Gonna Ball' album. And Mr Saville had to ask them to calm down! I can't remember which Cat gave the girl her 'fix it ' medal but a few seconds after that it was all over.
And i heard nothing else about the Cats till a year later when i accidently saw 'rant and rave' in a second hand shop!
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 6:14 pm

I seem to recall Brian gave the girl a comb and one of his ear rings ?

Dave
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 3:01 pm

TommyM wrote:
Do you UK Cats remember when the Cats were on 'Tis Was and someone chucked or tried to chuck a pie at Slim Jim and he gave them a piece of his mind? I've never seen it, but Dennis Cockell has told me that story several times. That's something that I'd like to see on YouTube.

-Tommy

Hey Mr M

I saw the tiswas show. they used to do it totally live, and it was the Phantom Flan Flinger from old London Town that used to 'pie' all the cats and kittens locked in a cage. I never taped it, cos it was before the days of vhs, but i seem to remember Jim starting off in good spirits and then getting seriously pissed as the be-cloaked 'flinger' targetted him with a vengeance! That is one of the few things I have never seen re-surface. We get al the razzmatazz and Little and Large Show stuff, but not the Tiswas deal....

Strange but great days

Mikey Tarrant x
Back to top Go down
Antmagnet

Antmagnet

PostSubject: Re: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 1:08 pm

Any cats fans out there remember their appearance on the tube (I beleive it was the Tube - It was definately a friday night at about 6.00pm) It was around the time of the Rant N Rave album coming out and they performed three live (yes they were live) tracks Rebels Rule was definately the first and I think the other two were Sexy & 17 and Rock this town but my memory is hazy. Any further info would be gratefully received.
Back to top Go down
bogusbill

bogusbill

PostSubject: Re: The Tube   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 3:23 pm

As far as I can remember, they didn't appear on the tube - but on the Friday night programme they thought up after the tube finished. I just can't think of its name.....anyone?
Back to top Go down
Banksy

Banksy

PostSubject: Re: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptySat Feb 23, 2008 5:03 pm

Hey guys,

You mean The Switch which was a pale imitation of The Tube. I remember watching it on a Saturday morning I think.... Anyway it was amazing to see Stray Cats live on national TV in the UK in 83 after virtually nothing since 81! Unfortunately the sound quality was a little disappointing AND they cut the broadcast part way through the 'new one' Sexy & 17. I bet they were hopping mad about that!!! Maybe that was one of the reasons why they never did the expected UK tour that year??

You can watch it here:-
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K1TAv_FIumI

Banksy
Back to top Go down
wee mark

wee mark

Location : Newtonhill, 10 miles south of Aberdeen(In Bonnie Scotland.).

PostSubject: Re: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 7:16 am

Thanks Banksy. I aint seen that clip for a while. It was a bit rotten to take the cats of air,just as brian was gonna show them how to play guitar!
I remember the young girl,on jim'll fix it,only just. She got his comb,and a run in his car,on Brighton beech front.
I also,saw them on ITV, Isla St Clair was hosting a show,The Stray Cats have a new single out,and Brian is going to tell us all about it.
Also the night before,the gig in Glasgow 10th March (Blast Off Tour). They appeared on, Live from the Hipadrome. (cant spell). They sang "Bring it back again"

Anyone remember that?
Yes it would nice to see the cats Jim'll fix it,appear on you tube.

Wee Mark.
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 2:53 pm

Antmagnet wrote:
Any cats fans out there remember their appearance on the tube (I beleive it was the Tube - It was definately a friday night at about 6.00pm) It was around the time of the Rant N Rave album coming out and they performed three live (yes they were live) tracks Rebels Rule was definately the first and I think the other two were Sexy & 17 and Rock this town but my memory is hazy. Any further info would be gratefully received.

It was a show called Switch. They NEVER appeared on the Tube, which was a serious mistake in my book for the scouts at Channel 4. They did 3 tracks, and one was their new single - Sexy & 17, which got cut off in the solo.

In those days i used to watch everything in the hope of a sighting of my beloved Stray Cats. That's how I KNOW they didn't appear on the Tube. Razzmatazz, Switch, Juke Box Jury, but not Swap Shop, or The Tube - lol

Love

Mikey xx
Back to top Go down
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 7:48 pm

Banksy wrote:
Hey guys,

You mean The Switch which was a pale imitation of The Tube. I remember watching it on a Saturday morning I think.... Anyway it was amazing to see Stray Cats live on national TV in the UK in 83 after virtually nothing since 81! Unfortunately the sound quality was a little disappointing AND they cut the broadcast part way through the 'new one' Sexy & 17. I bet they were hopping mad about that!!! Maybe that was one of the reasons why they never did the expected UK tour that year??

You can watch it here:-
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=K1TAv_FIumI

Jesus, Banksy thanks for that, never saw that one before, me ears are ringing hearing the 'ass' on British tv!!! Geat clip, pity about the solo.

Banksy
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/286
bogusbill

bogusbill

PostSubject: Pop Quiz etc.....   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it EmptyMon Feb 25, 2008 1:47 pm

Cheers Banksy, well remembered and amazing what you can watch again on youtube!

Who wants to start a new topic - what tv should the cats do to promote this summer?

I think nothing short of Later With Jools Holland would do them justice!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it   Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it Empty

Back to top Go down

Pop Quiz and Jim'll fix it
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Forum That Came Back From The Dead :: WELCOME TO THE TWILIGHT ZONE :: CATS DISCUSSION-
Jump to: