The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Favorite Setzer Songs to Play

Go down 
+17
Jpequa NY
Davy Jones
kbilly
therealdeal
WildCat
Mike
ratpack
rg9l@libero.it
Patrick
donpepe
PICKIN' PETE
webelvis
csu-csu
Sharky
peeteycat
Danny_Wilde
Ponczek007
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Patrick

Patrick

Favorite Setzer Songs to Play - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Setzer Songs to Play   Favorite Setzer Songs to Play - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 12:33 pm

I love playing Wild Saxophone!
But then there comes the solo.....
The first part I manage, after that...
#@$%&
Come on guys he was 20 at the time...
When I'm 200 I would still not be able to play that one note for note...
Anybody ever tried that one?
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Non Guitarists unite   Favorite Setzer Songs to Play - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 8:18 pm

I think I speak for many frustrated Drummers who own a Gretsch 6120..... Oh! Just me then? pale Well , after mastering Stray Cat Strut, the easiest (sorry...best) songs to play are, Too Hip, Let's Live It Up and Runaway Boys. (Did I say easy???? ) i also love playing (really badly) the solo to I won't stand in your way anymore.

I have just mastered the keyboard progression of Runaway. Del Shannon actually Rocks. Next stop, mastering Beethoven's Fifth (pice o' cake)

Mikey Reinhardt x
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Setzer Songs to Play   Favorite Setzer Songs to Play - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 17, 2008 8:22 pm

Patrick wrote:
I love playing Wild Saxophone!
But then there comes the solo.....
The first part I manage, after that...
#@$%&
Come on guys he was 20 at the time...
When I'm 200 I would still not be able to play that one note for note...
Anybody ever tried that one?

Here here Patrick. I have been in awe of that playing since I first heard it! I'm actually not a guitarist, but i have a great appreciation of ability, and i can't understand how a 20 year old can come out with that kind of playing and style so early on. It's well thought out, melodic and technical.... Fuck Brian, we're glad you didn't get out much in those days...

Mikey Montrell
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Wild Saxophone   Favorite Setzer Songs to Play - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 6:26 pm

I've never played "Wild Saxophone" but I did work out the solo to "Everytime I Hear That Mellow Saxophone" off Guitar Slinger. Listening to "Wild" now, I hear alot of the same structure and runs that are in "Mellow" and that makes sense since "Mellow" is basically an updated B.S.O. version of "Wild" which in itself was a cover tune. "Wild" sounds like it's in a diff. key than "Mellow" (G minor) compared to (Ab minor). So here is my "analysis" of the "Wild" solo.

Wild Saxophone Solo (Key of Gm)

1st section (bars 1-4)
Minor (root-3rd-5th-to flat 5th arpeggio {G-Bb-D-Db}) leading to slide from 9th (A) and possibly b5th (Db) to minor 3rd (Bb) and possibly P5th (D) and then the root (G). Follow this with a bluegrass lick with open strings ringing (position shifts maybe) and bend and release lick with 4th to 3rd to root octave lower.

2nd section (bars 5 to 8 )
Same arpeggio lick as before only an octave higher with alterations (bends). Follow with Gm7 arpeggio with added 9th (A fifth fret 1st string). This leads to a descending sequence of notes culled from G minor with probably a natural 6th "E" (G Dorian) thrown into the mix that moves down the scale towards the low G root (6th string).

3rd section (bars 9-10)
Transition out of the previous run by ascending back towards the G at the 5th fret (4th string) possibly with the blues scale lick from Hoodoo Voodoo Doll (added b5th on 5th string) played in G minor here (3rd fret) instead of A minor and into the blues run (which is 4th-b5th hammer on to natural 5th) then bend from 4th to b5th to b3rd to 4th to b3rd to root to 7th (along the 3rd and 4th strings).

3rd section (bars 11-16) {turnaround chords are Eb7-D7-Gm}
Fingerstyle diatonic 6ths lick with top line (Bb-A-G). Repeat line with chords instead of just 6ths. Segue back to next verse via a chromatic run down to the root (G).

End of Solo.

Notes: Most of the fast lines occur primarily at 3rd position (1st finger located at 3rd fret). The scale is primarily G minor with a natural 6th "E" instead of "Eb" (G Dorian) although he uses alterations throughout including the bluesy b5th note Db.

Again, feel free to post any comments and/or corrections.
Back to top Go down
Django

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Setzer Songs to Play   Favorite Setzer Songs to Play - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 04, 2008 3:57 pm

We rotate Rebels Rule and Ubanghi Stomp in our set list quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hotrodchassisandcycle.com
leerocker

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Setzer Songs to Play   Favorite Setzer Songs to Play - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 11:45 am

i'll onley play setzer/stray cats songs on my guitar. the top 3:
* Gene and eddie
* Bring it back again
* Rock this town
So

GO CAT GO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Setzer Songs to Play   Favorite Setzer Songs to Play - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Favorite Setzer Songs to Play
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2