The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Your first concert?

Go down 
+50
johnnykool327
burner1
therealdeal
BlastOff
larocka
Eddie Lee
andi
alka-setzer
onefin
LBD
tajon
Bear85
ArtVandelay
greasedupcruiser
sidelakebob
Serena
Summerz
Mikey
Pompado'er
1959str
Banksy
Madman
lisathegreaser
Setzerado
StanTheMan
The G-Man
cvc
Scatman
Doesy
lonesomecat
Bigbassape
vic
Chillicat
Niblos
Pirate Paul
Rich
Patrick
rickabilly
Budgie
DEXTER
bogusbill
radiationsteve
Kid Setzer
EskimoPie
Gloria
Amity
TommyM
WildCat
PICKIN' PETE
Hotrodtodd
54 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Hotrodtodd

Hotrodtodd

Your first concert? Empty
PostSubject: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 11:18 am

This conversation came up last night at a friends house over dinner. what was you 1st big concert you went to and what do you recall from it? Mine was Rush on there signals tour Dec, 10th 1982 at nassau veterans memorial coliseum, uniondale, new york. I was 16 years old and was amazed by it all. I had never seen Rush move before. I know that sounds odd but I didnt have have Mtv and my only visual reference to bands was posters and album art so to see guys who were godlike to me walk, talk and Play there instruments was so strange. Rory Gallagher was the opening act and being a 16 year old I had no knowledge of him at that point in my life and can honestly say I wanted him to leave the stage so I could see Rush. If I had only known then what I know now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/thedaytonasrock
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 11:51 am

HEY HOTRODTODD,
I think the first concert that blew my mind was seeing Tommy Emmanuele followed closely by the Fabulous Thunderbirds.
As a youngster seeing these gigs just done my head in and I've never been the same.
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
WildCat

WildCat

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 3:25 pm

This thread should probably be in another spot, as everyone probably doesn't read the guitar one.

Just my 2¢...

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 7:48 pm

WildCat wrote:
This thread should probably be in another spot, as everyone probably doesn't read the guitar one.Just my 2¢...

Wow. This gal never runs out of 2 cents!

First concert? Johnny Cash and the Carter Family. Temple University Ambler Campus. August 1978.

-Tommy
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
Amity

Amity

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 7:59 pm

Peter Paul and Mary - Valley Forge Music Fair in or around 1985.
Back to top Go down
Gloria

Gloria

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 8:04 pm

Here's a topic I can post to in this category!!! (Hehe, actually it's one of about only 2 or 3 I've ever clicked on in here! Hope I'm not missing out on anything.)

My first concert was Elvis. Las Vegas Hilton, August 27, 1971.

I don't remember a lot about it (since I was just a baby... Razz) , but I do remember how exciting it was for my family to see Elvis perform live.
Back to top Go down
Hotrodtodd

Hotrodtodd

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 9:29 pm

WildCat wrote:
This thread should probably be in another spot, as everyone probably doesn't read the guitar one.

Just my 2¢...

cat
Sorry about that I get on a roll and get carried away. Ill be more careful in the future.
Back to top Go down
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 4:40 am

Jim Nabors, Warwick Musical Theatre, Warwick, RI. No, not by myself, with my parents. (I was 2!) Gomer Pyle picked me up and called me darlin'. I remember he was jolly.

First concert as a thinking person? 10 years laters, Stray Cats, Boston's Orpheum Theatre! It was a cold and snowy January night, and I had never been so excited. My sister says I looked like one of those girls in the early Beatles film reels, screaming and pulling her hair out. I honestly don't remember that part....! But Brian wore his purple velvet tail coat. pirat
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 5:26 am

My first concert was Sum41 at the now demolished Festival Hall in Brisbane.. hey I was 12!! Razz

Kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 6:16 am

HEY KID SETZER,
Cool new avatar. Bet TommyM likes that one, not like mine....he's sooo cruel!
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 6:32 am

PICKIN' PETE wrote:
HEY KID SETZER,
Cool new avatar. Bet TommyM likes that one, not like mine....he's sooo cruel!
Cheers Pete.

Haha thanks Pete! That's me with 'tude Razz

Kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
radiationsteve

radiationsteve

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 4:31 pm

My first concert was STRAY CATS in 1982!!! Screaming Lord Sutch was the opening act.
Having never been to a gig before i had no idea where to stand/sit etc and the friend i went with was new to the Cats but suggested we would have a good view up in the balcony. So it didn't accur to me that i might want to be right by the stage and get within touching distance of my idols....therefore up the stairs we went. You could clearly see Slim Jim bashing the drums, Lee standing on the bass, Brian rolling over on the floor etc, but it was like 'unreal', like watching on telly, too far away. Anyway, the highlight of the evening for me was when Brian asked the crowd what they wanted the cats to play, and hundreds shouted out 'Something Else'!.....but i think he took this the wrong way and played another song instead! In the middle of 'Rock this town' Brian got everyone clapping to Jim's beat.....'Hey you on the balcony...(looking straight up at me!).....C'mon clap yout hands!'
Apart from them starting with 'Baby blue eyes' off the new album, i can only remember a very disappointing sound to the drums on Runaway Boys.....where's the echo? Where's Dave Edmunds i thought! This concert was at Brighton's Top Rank.....it's now a cinema!!!
As i left i thought that was great, but next time i wanna be right up by the stage.....the next time was july 17th 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! affraid lol!
Back to top Go down
bogusbill

bogusbill

PostSubject: First Gig   Your first concert? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 6:22 pm

OK you're gonna laugh at this one - Shakin' Stevens, Manchester Apollo, 1981

My only excuse - This Ole House - real Rock N Roll!!
Back to top Go down
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 8:58 pm

Mine was a free open air gig outside an art gallery with The Moondogs and the Undertones about '78 or '79, rock 'n' roll heaven. God Im old!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/286
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 10:19 pm

The Kinks at Madison Squard Garden. December 1984. Tommy Shaw (from Styx) opened. He just released his first solo album "Girls With Guns." The Kinks were still riding high from their "State of Confusion" album with the hits "Come Dancing" & "Don't Forget to Dance." They opened with the classic "Around the Dial!" Great song, great band... I miss the Kinks. Ray Davies is playing at the Beacon Theatre in NYC sometime soon.

Well Respected Man,
Budge
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stunt_cycle_adventures
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 3:04 am

HEY bogusbill,
I'll fight any man that talks bad about ol' Shaky! Seriousily, his covers with Chris Spedding are fantastic!! Just gotta remember what was coming out at the same ... TRIPE!!!
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
bogusbill

bogusbill

PostSubject: Your First Gig   Your first concert? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 5:54 am

Hey Pete,

I'm not knockin' ole Shaky! Like I said - REAL ROCK N ROLL man!! lol!

Yup - there was a lot of tripe about at the time but at least it was "tripe" driven by the desire to form a band and make music - not the same as the tripe you get today from manufactured bands that don't even play instruments!

(even Flock of Seagulls played their own synths - or is this another myth about to be detroyed!)

The other two gigs I saw in the same year were Gary Numan and OMD - two pretty class acts!

My misses says I should have been on "Grumpy old Men"!
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 11:54 am

Budgie wrote:
The Kinks at Madison Squard Garden. December 1984. Tommy Shaw (from Styx) opened. He just released his first solo album "Girls With Guns." The Kinks were still riding high from their "State of Confusion" album with the hits "Come Dancing" & "Don't Forget to Dance." They opened with the classic "Around the Dial!" Great song, great band... I miss the Kinks. Ray Davies is playing at the Beacon Theatre in NYC sometime soon.

Well Respected Man,
Budge

Around the Dial! A great, great Kinks song! "One of our DJs is missing!"

My parents took me to a lot of concerts as a kid. So I got to hear plenty of music I was far too young to appreciate. Unfortunately, that meant the first show I can remember was The Osmonds, circa 1976. Fortunately, my second concert was better - Elvis Presley.

A Little Bit Rock-n-Roll-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 12:11 pm

rickabilly wrote:
the first show I can remember was The Osmonds, circa 1976.

Dude... this song ROCKS!!! And how aboot that young Jimmy Page on guitar!??? LOL!! Nahhhh... that's just Merlin... or Tito... or Jermaine... I forget which one!!
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 3:26 pm

Yeah that was a big hit in holland too.
Listen to the guitar and drum.
Just plain heavy rock!
I was about 7 years old! (1972? or something?)
Watch him dance just right before the ending haha...!!
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 3:49 pm

Patrick wrote:
Watch him dance just right before the ending haha...!!

PROOF that a white man CAN dance!!! lol! Mesmerizing... I just can't look away.

One bad apple,
Budge
Back to top Go down
Rich

Rich

PostSubject: First Concert   Your first concert? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 4:22 pm

George Thorogood at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, New Jersey - Nov 23, 1981 - Bad to the Bone

First arena concert was AC/DC at the Brendan Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, NJ - Dec 11, 1981 - For Those About to Rock
Scandal was the opening act (Patti Smyth - Goodbye To You)
Back to top Go down
Hotrodtodd

Hotrodtodd

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 5:43 pm

Rich wrote:
George Thorogood at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, New Jersey - Nov 23, 1981 - Bad to the Bone

First arena concert was AC/DC at the Brendan Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, NJ - Dec 11, 1981 - For Those About to Rock
Scandal was the opening act (Patti Smyth - Goodbye To You)
According to Patti Smyth she was the first person to be asked to Replace David Lee Roth when he left Van Halen. She has a Great voice And I really like the Stuff she did with Glen Burtnik But i just cant imagine her singing "little guitars" or "Hang em High" .
Back to top Go down
Pirate Paul

Pirate Paul

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 6:24 pm

Eric Clapton (not very rockabilly I know geek ) 7th February 1992 in the Sheffield Arena.
It was just before the "Unplugged" album was released. It was a great gig Wink

Cheers PP pirat
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 6:57 pm

Hotrodtodd wrote:
But i just cant imagine her singing "little guitars" or "Hang em High" .

Hell... Sammy Hagar never sang 'em!! LOL!

Love's got a line on you,
Budge
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your first concert?   Your first concert? Empty

Back to top Go down

Your first concert?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Forum That Came Back From The Dead :: WELCOME TO THE TWILIGHT ZONE :: GUITAR RELATED DISCUSSION-
Jump to: