The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A newbie from Scotland

Go down 
+8
EskimoPie
DEXTER
MEMPHISSUN
Kiki
TommyM
RockinCat
stray matt
FDR8
12 posters
AuthorMessage
FDR8

FDR8

A newbie from Scotland Empty
PostSubject: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi folks !

Live on east coast of Scotland amd happened across this forum while getting my Glasgow pre-sale tickets booked cheers cheers cheers

Saw BSO there a couple of years ago and this year's visit will be highlight of the year for me.......

Looking forward to reading some of the discussions and putting my tuppence worth in....
Wink
Back to top Go down
stray matt

stray matt

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 5:30 pm

welcome dude jocks on tour right enough eh ha ha ha

matt
Back to top Go down
RockinCat

RockinCat

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 5:38 pm

Got tickets for Glasgow today Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by RockinCat on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 5:40 pm

Welcome aboard FDR.

-Tommy
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
Kiki

Kiki

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 5:50 pm

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 6:03 pm

A fellow Scot...HELLLLLLLLLLLLLOW my friend,you will see a few of your country folk on this great forum.

Keep a Rockin". Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.hankgarland.com
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Failte Romhat FDR, you very welcome, Hi the Paddys are on tour as well, that would make a right bunch of Celts!! Its gonna be a blast!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/286
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 1:57 am

Failte from Alaska - really looking forward to meeting all you Scottish cats at the Glasgow show! I still miss the old slogan, Glasgow's pure dead brilliant pirat Whatever they're saying now, it's going to be a great show!
Back to top Go down
wee mark

wee mark

Location : Newtonhill, 10 miles south of Aberdeen(In Bonnie Scotland.).

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 10:53 am

Welcome on board.
You say North east.................Where about?

Rumble in Scotland tonight!

Buffy.....................Ur just pure deed brillant,so ya r.

Scottish motorcycle show this coming weekend.

Wee Mark
Back to top Go down
Kiki

Kiki

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 10:55 am

I'm not from Scotland, but I'm of Scottish heritage. Does that count? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 10:56 am

Kiki wrote:
I'm not from Scotland, but I'm of Scottish heritage. Does that count? Very Happy

No.

Not unless you're a direct decendant of William Wallace and can crap thunder!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stunt_cycle_adventures
Kiki

Kiki

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 10:59 am

Budgie wrote:
Kiki wrote:

No.

Not unless you're a direct decendant of William Wallace and can crap thunder!

Um...er...don't think I can do that...
Back to top Go down
wee mark

wee mark

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 11:02 am

I think there is nearly 5 million people in Scotland.
And the same,if not more of us world wide!

And appartently Elvis,has family roots hear in the North east.
I had a run on my bike,on saturday,up Royal Deeside,lovely
When you come here,you all have to try a white pudding supper from the fish n chips takeaway.

Or come by my house,for some home cooked sirlon steak! Tommy?

Wee Mark.
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 4:06 pm

Up here it"s a white Pudding (or red)

Down the road = FRIED MARS BAR.

I live on the east side of Scotland...north of Inverness.

Am i the furthest north in the UK????

Or is there someone from Thurso a member? Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.hankgarland.com
FDR8

FDR8

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm a bit further south, twixt Dundee & Edinburgh........

BTW - I'll be a the bike show this weekend too, never been, don't own a motorbike ( I'm a lycra bandit) but brother in law does so chumming along...

Maybe Thurso's likely to have hillbillies.. Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 4:25 pm

EskimoPie wrote:
Failte from Alaska - really looking forward to meeting all you Scottish cats at the Glasgow show! I still miss the old slogan, Glasgow's pure dead brilliant pirat Whatever they're saying now, it's going to be a great show!

Hey Buff

Just got me my ticket for Glasgow. I'll take the High road honey, if you take the Low Road....

See ya on the M74

Love

Mikey Stewart
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 4:28 pm

OK, Budgie gave ME my first laugh out loud o' the day.

Proud to crap thunder, Scots wha hae!
Back to top Go down
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 4:31 pm

Mikey, I thought I was going to take the high road.... !
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Scottish! A Visitors guide   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 4:44 pm

Here are some things i have observed, as a foreigner visiting Glasgow:

1, You have to have Chips (that's fries to you Atlantic crossers) with Cheese

2, When texting a Glaswegian, always replace the word 'for' with 'fae'

3, They are VERY friendly, especially to visitors - and they're passionate about Glasgow (FACT)

4, Every single bar in the whole of Glasgow is on Sauchiehall Street.... or in Stepps (exaggeration)

5, It's the only place in the world (I think this factoid is correct) Where Coke isn't the biggest selling soft drink... it's Irn Bru

6, Be careful who you call a Numpty

7, A pint of Bitter is referred to as 'heavy'

8, The Arthouse hotel is a really cool place to stay, and I predict every resident in it's limited rooms on the eve of the gig will be Stray Cats fans......

9, A 'mad shagger' is exactly what you think it is.
10, Never EVER call Glasgow Glasgee

Hope I have offered some useful info there??

Can any of you Scottish posters add something helpful for guiding our way around glasgow please.

It's gonna be great going to the Glasgow gig and meeting some old friends....can I also meet some NEW friends too please guys????

With love

Mikey 'Rennie' Mackintosh x
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 4:47 pm

EskimoPie wrote:
Mikey, I thought I was going to take the high road.... !

Ok Ok... If it's THAT important to ya YOU take the damn High Road.... Oooh sorry, i think that was a bout of road rage I had there.... ha ha!

What i meant to say was: Of course Buffy, you are most welcome to select the High Road if you wish. I would be honoured to allow you to take it.

Love

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Back to top Go down
setzer68cb

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 12:40 pm

Hello FDR8

wee bit late in my hello....... but better late than never

all the best

setzer68cb
Back to top Go down
wee mark

wee mark

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 1:00 pm

FDR,is that the kingdom of Fife,that you stay?
Memphis,north of Inverness,across the kessock bridge? Martin Stephenson of the Daintes (fame) Lives in Invergordon. Fantastic player,once told me he had Brians guitar video,and was still try'in to learn his licks.

I will be at the show on saturday,then to ikea for our supper...................Meatballs.

I will be up at the columba hotel in inverness on 10/11th of march,thats my birthday treat,fae Sharon.

Wee Mark. bounce
Back to top Go down
FDR8

FDR8

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 6:49 pm

Wee Mark, yup Fife it is, home of golf and.............erm..............that's it Embarassed Meatballs in Ikea eh ? 10 or 15 ? I'm a 15 man meself...... Laughing

Mikey- good analysis. Also remember to always add "but" at the end of a sentence, e.g " Ah pure dead love Glasgow, ye ken whit I mean...........but. "
Translated into an"Edinburgh" dialect, that would be " I'm very taken with the Glasgow banter and it's status as a city of immense cultural depth and excellence, If I may be so bold......hmmmmmmmm?"

In Fife speak it translates to " Aye it's awright like............" Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
FDR8

FDR8

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 7:05 pm

BTW - Thanks to all for the welcomes Very Happy

Actually......... there's another Glasgow tip, you can always alternate between adding "but" at the end of everything with "by the way".

When you get a "by the way" at the end of a sentence it adds a certain authority to the statement, e.g. when you buy chips ( on the rare occasion you do without cheese), you can often hear other clientelle stating "salt 'n vinegar isnae as good as salt 'n sauce....by the way " Smile

Or is it the other way round scratch Embarassed
Back to top Go down
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 7:07 pm

I love all of the regional speech and slang of Scotland. Glasgow's for me is really the keenest, but. Gallus and steamin and glaiket (especially glaiket)-- my Dad was from Maryhill, so we grew up with it, like. When I moved back to the states from Scotland it took my family a minute or two to get me. It comes back oot when um steamin, but. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A newbie from Scotland   A newbie from Scotland Empty

Back to top Go down

A newbie from Scotland
Page 1 of 1