The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Traveling for shows

Go down 
+12
Aristocat
DEXTER
wee mark
Fluke
Kid Setzer
Jett Black
Pete C
xbttyboopx
masbirras
gretschoholic
coonman
El Perro
16 posters
AuthorMessage
El Perro

El Perro

Traveling for shows Empty
PostSubject: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyThu Feb 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Anyone else out there like to travel to see concerts? For some reason, a concert is far more special, enjyable and memorable for me if I've put a lot of time into planning for it and traveling to it. So have any of you traveled long distance to see Brian? I have a few times.

While living in Chicago, I went to Carbondale to see The Cats in the early 80s. No big deal, it's just a few hours drive, but kind of special when you're 17 or 18.

While living in San Franicisco I flew back to Chicago for a BSO show.

While living back in Chicago, I flew to San Francisco for the 97/98 New Years Eve show at The Warfield.

Also while in Chicago, I flew to Los Angeles for the BSO/68CBS/Joe Strummer (RIP) show at the Greek

Last year I traveled from New York to Santa Fe, NM to see the Cats again.

My next goal is to go back to Los Angeles for one of the Christmas Universal Amphetheatre shows. If money were no issue, then I'd definitely go to Japan for a show. I love how enthusiastic the Japanese are for all things Setzer.
Back to top Go down
coonman

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 12:26 am

It is a great time traveling to these shows. Of course, I am forced to do so if I want to see Brian. I am in OK, the cats did actually come this year to OKC ( a 2hour drive). The bad thing was that they were sharing the stage with ZZ Top and the Pretenders. It was great to see them, but they only played for about an hour at most. I went to the Xmas show this year at the Hard Rock in Vegas. Had a great time . As soon as they announce the next tour, I will start making vc plans to attend. If he tours, I will be at one of the shows somewhere.
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 5:47 am

I live in Norway, and my wife, kids and I saw the Cats at Jones Beach Theatre, NY this last summer. OK, we didn't fly over only for the show - but finding out about this concert after we planned our US-summer holiday was a huge bonus. Very Happy And although their set was waaaay too short (and the Pretenders' too long Sleep), it was fantastic to see a Stray Cats-gig in their own home town. They really rocked!!!!

Anders
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/builtforspeedband
masbirras

masbirras

PostSubject: Thank you Mr Setzer   Traveling for shows EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 7:12 am

I live in Spain.
Three years ago, I did the best fast travel of my life...

Stray Cats played on thuesday at Barcelona. My friend and me got the car from Zaragoza and went with my cabrio to Barcelona to the show. It was a hot show. That night we went to the post party till 5 a.m. Next morning we woke up at 11 and travelled with the cabrio to Gijon (1.000 km far from Barcelona) to see Ray Gelato and Stray Cats again.
before this travel, my friend wasn´t a fan of Brian Setzer, but the last day of the tour, he looked at me and gave me a big huge and started crying. That they, we went to have dinner to Bilbao (great food) an back to Zaragoza.

Another travel I did with my girlfriend (today is my wife and she´is not a Brian setzer fan) to see Brian Setzer and The Nashvillians.
Another grat show. I did a photo with Brian Setzer and another one with Bernnie Dresel. That photos are in my dinning room.

I saw in Barcelona 68 come back special too, four years ago (more or less).....grat show.

So.... THAN YOU MR. SETZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
xbttyboopx

xbttyboopx

PostSubject: Traveling   Traveling for shows EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 11:50 am

I will travel where ever to see Brian. Was very happy to see him twice this year. Summer tour in Phoenix with Don Henley & The Pretenders. I was disappointed as well that he only played for an hour, but it was the best part of the concert. I was at the Hard Rock as well for the x-mas show. I saw the x-mas show the previous two years in New Mexico. Only disappointment at the Hard Rock was...no place to dance! I hope there is a 2008 tour in the U.S. Just waiting to hear. Maybe when he wins at the Grammys! I know how big he is in Japan. I would love to see him there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 12:03 pm

To me, travelling to see Brian Setzer live has been quite amazing!

First of all, I remember being 16 and Setzer was touring Europe properly, I mean, the whole Europe!
Besides, it was for me the first time I was to see him live. I went to Madrid with my oldest brother (thanks Igor, you discovered me the Stray Cats 9 years earlier!). We got first row and it was... delightful, specially because it was the opening night. Something to remember my whole life!

Then, when the Cats reunited for the European Tour in 2004 I went to Manchester UK. Again, first row and it was... OMG!! I remember loosing my voice after shouting "Brian you are the best" before Bring It Back Again.

Next year, in 2005, I travelled to Paris with my good mate Ruben. It was the best show of the three Setzer shows I witnessed. Brian really enjoyed the Riot tour. Lucky me, I got a guitar pick that Bobby, the drum tech gave me at the end of the show. Besides, that night, I met the Slaptones, the support band. I have been in touch with them since then, and I could meet them again in my hometown last September.

After that, I met Slim Jim twice when he was touring Europe with Darrel Higham. He awarded me 2 drumsticks after the shows I attended, nice pictures with him too, and relly kind to me.

Cannot wait to see the Cats all together, or any of them anywhere anytime!

Happy weekend from sunny England!
Jon
Back to top Go down
Pete C

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 1:09 pm

We flew from the UK to Chicago in 2005 (never been so cold in my life) to see the BSO Christmas gigs x2 at House of Blues. These were brilliant. The concert hall was right next to the hotel and residents got preferential places in the queue. That meant we were front row for both gigs. Out of this world!
I have been a fan of the Cats since they first broke it big in the UK, still got the old 45s, but it was the wife who really got exited...grabbed Brian's leather trousered leg & kept touching the "Pinstripe" Gretsch when he stood on an amp right infront of us! And she's only been into the music for about four years.
Several US fans got talking to us and were impressed that we had come out for a week for two gigs. Personally, I was more impressed by the 'complete nutter' who flew from Bristol UK to Chicago for 1 gig, then straight back again!!! How good was that????

Flew back to the US for last BSO tour 2007. Saw two of the NY gigs. Again, fantastic and well worth the trip. Thought the support, Dibbs Preston & The Detonators were superb too. Bought their CD, which they all signed and is pretty good too.
Apart from that, all gigs been in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Jett Black

Jett Black

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 8:52 pm

Flew from Atlanta to L.A. to see the last show of their Summer '92 tour at the Strand in Redondo Beach. Got a picture taken with all 3 of them after the show, and then went out to a bar in L.A., only to have my camera stolen out of the car we were in. That $20 camera was the only thing in the car, and I'm still bummed out that I don't have that picture! Hopefully, some crack head was able to get their fix. In 2003, road tripped from Denver to see the Hootenanny show. That was, by far, my favorite Cats show I've seen. '07, another road trip to Santa Fe for a show. Ready for the next one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jettblackmusic
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 4:01 am

I plan on travelling from Australia to America to see Brian..The wheels are in motion, getting my passport soon.. Knowing my luck, he'll be in Japan when I'm in America..or worse, he'll be in Australia for a surprise tour!! Razz

Kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
Fluke

Fluke

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptySun Feb 10, 2008 7:20 pm

I travelled from the south of the Netherlands to Amsterdam to see BSO the last time they where here. Now this isn't special but then I was a student so it was quite a trip. There was no train going back late enough to see the end of the show so I had to stay in Amsterdam. By myself btw, because nobody was interested in coming with me.. Sad But it was absolutely worth it.
When the cats came to europe I saw them twice in Amsterdam but couldn't resist going to London as well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wee mark

wee mark

Location : Newtonhill, 10 miles south of Aberdeen(In Bonnie Scotland.).

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyMon Feb 11, 2008 7:04 pm

I flew from Aberdeen,in Scotland,to Manchester,then next am down to London for the 2 London gigs,back in 2004,there was at least 8 or 9 cats fans on the plane from Manchester,we all sang Rock this aeroplane.

Real funny,

Wee Mark. bounce
Back to top Go down
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyTue Feb 12, 2008 7:43 pm

We're goin to the same gigs Mark! Always come over to Britain for Any Setzer related stuff, all the gigs since '90, its a great way to enjoy Britain. Im bias tho, the '68 Special Dublin gig was the best, did you get over for that? Small venue, small crowd, great for the rawer rockabilly stuff and its only 3 hours away from me!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/286
Aristocat

Aristocat

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyTue Feb 12, 2008 9:52 pm

I've been lucky enough to go to Setzer shows in both UK and USA but for me nothing beats a tube ride in London to see Stray Cats play. It really adds to the anticipation of the evening seeing the tube carriages fill up with cool cats and kittens with their quiffs, creepers, tatts and customized clothes. The walk from Brixton tube station to the Academy in summer 2004 was a blast too. Brixton Road literally came to a standstill with locals stopping to stare in curiosity at the procession of fans making their pilgrimage to the venue. What a great night!

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/aristocat30
wee mark

wee mark

Location : Newtonhill, 10 miles south of Aberdeen(In Bonnie Scotland.).

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyWed Feb 13, 2008 6:23 am

No Dexter,i just went to the Glasgow gig. I did speak to 3 crazy Irish guys out side afterwards.They were heading to London.
I did'nt have the cash.

Mark. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Pete C

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyWed Feb 13, 2008 3:17 pm

Hay Aristocat, you're right. Travelling on the NY tubes to see the BSO and everyone was just normal. Brixton was "SOMETHING ELSE"!!!!! Hope the Cats play UK again soon. Brian said they would not leave it so long and seemed to enjoy the US Cats tours recently...fingers crossed! Pete
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Comeback '89   Traveling for shows EmptyWed Feb 13, 2008 6:46 pm

I was working in London as a manager of a video store. My boss knew I loved Stray Cats cos i constantly played them on the stereo (True story: I played video bootleg of them at Lorelei and Ringo Starr was a customer, as he walked in he said, 'ahh, Jimmy - he's a mate of mine y'know') - anyway, the tour was announced and I told my boss, who couldn't understand why 1 gig wasn't enough, when i said i was gonn see every single show. You have to remember that before then I was younger and had only seen them since '80 about twice. So I quit my job and hitch-hiked the whole tour. Mmmm great fun.

That was my traveling

Mikey x
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

PostSubject: once or twice...   Traveling for shows EmptyWed Feb 13, 2008 8:15 pm

I've travelled once or twice to see Brian play. Smile
Back to top Go down
DEXTER

DEXTER

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyWed Feb 13, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi Mark, did one of those Irish guys have a beard and long hair, Naw, thatd be too weird!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/286
Mikey

PostSubject: Talk about travellin' for Shows   Traveling for shows EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 2:56 am

I once travelled all the way into Sheffield City Centre to watch them at the Lyceum in '82. That's almost 8 miles from my house. Hope tey play more local next time i see 'em!!!

Mikey the globetrotter x
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
Aristocat

Aristocat

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 8:41 am

Mikey wrote:
I once travelled all the way into Sheffield City Centre to watch them at the Lyceum in '82. That's almost 8 miles from my house. Hope tey play more local next time i see 'em!!!

Mikey the globetrotter x

LOL, impressive ! lol! lol!

I crossed the road without help from a grown-up to see Lee at Maxwell's in Hoboken, NJ a couple of years ago AND walked home too! jocolor

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/aristocat30
WildCat

WildCat

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 10:42 am

Aristocat wrote:
I crossed the road without help from a grown-up to see Lee at Maxwell's in Hoboken, NJ a couple of years ago AND walked home too! jocolor
Awwwww....brings a tear to my eye. They grow up so fast! Sad Wink

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
EskimoPie

EskimoPie

PostSubject: time flies indeed   Traveling for shows EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 9:05 pm

I needed a ride to my first show in '81 (90 miles away on the East Coast of the States).... I was driving after that - the rest is bloody brilliant musical history!
Back to top Go down
Ponczek007

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 9:55 pm

I totally drove from Muncie, IN to Minneapolis, MN to see the Lee's Liquor Lounge performance.I had college summer courses so I had to drive straight there and then turn around and come back after the show. Totally worth it, Rockabilly Riot and Ignition are probably my favorite non-orchestra setzer albums ever so that show was perfect for me. Word of warning don't drive through wisconsin during night, its really really dark.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Traveling for shows   Traveling for shows Empty

Back to top Go down

Traveling for shows
Page 1 of 1