The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

B.S.O. Charts?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

B.S.O. Charts? Empty
PostSubject: B.S.O. Charts?   B.S.O. Charts? EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 6:38 pm

My apologies for reposting my original post on this subject, but I figured I might put this in the Guitar section as well, as I think most folks who would be interested in this topic are guitar players looking for chord charts.

In light of the recent addition to the guitar gallery and the upcoming music player update, I thought I would inquire/suggest as to the possibility of maybe adding some official/unofficial BSO Charts to the website/fan forum. I remember some excerpts were posted on the old website, some are commercially available either for guitar or jazz band/orch., and some were posted as pictures during the last tour. I think this was also brought up in an earlier, past Q&A session and the response was that if the charts were made available there would be a desire to make them available for all instruments (beyond just guitar). I understand copyright issues may make this whole discussion mute, and I am not suggesting anyone post any unofficial/official charts without permission, but since I have commented on how to play some songs and there appears to be some interest in working out BSO tunes (at least on guitar) among forum participants I thought I would broach the topic.

Again, just wanted to gauge interest among forum participants (possibly for future forum participants-posted charts in addition to or in place of official charts).

No rush on this either as between the music player, guitar gallery, stray cats tour, etc. the website is plenty busy!
Back to top Go down
stray matt

stray matt

B.S.O. Charts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.S.O. Charts?   B.S.O. Charts? EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 7:48 pm

davy great idea I' am all for these chord charts it would be cool
I've seen the one's you'v already posted and they'r cool and thanks
very much do you buy chance happen to know the chord's for brian's
version of danny boy from the film great white hype I've been tryin to
work this song out on guitar for a couple a weeks now and am not havin
much joy cheers

mattyboy
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

B.S.O. Charts? Empty
PostSubject: Danny Boy   B.S.O. Charts? EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 3:25 pm

I think I played a diff. version of this song awhile back when I was first learning to play guitar. I believe it was a fingerstyle etude out of a lesson book (definitely not Brian's version). I've never tried his version, but listening to it now I think I can give you a baseline to work with. If you were to look at an original "leadsheet" or chart with melody of "Danny Boy", I think you'd find that Brian reharmonized some of the chords while keeping the melody basically the same. I think I also remember some discussion a little while ago about the vocal line being slightly sharp on the original recording due to the way the soundtrack was mastered, so that obviously could throw off your ear a little bit. Anyway in terms of the guitar parts, the song is in the key of D major, and I think most of the chords for the intro. reside at/near open position. Note the G6 chord is probably fingered (2nd finger on "G" 6th string, 1st finger on "E" 4th string, 3rd finger on "D" 2nd string, 4th finger on "B" 3rd string).

Danny Boy

D-D7-G6-D/F#(bassnote)-Em(or Em7)
D-Bm-G6-Asus4(or A7sus4)-A7
D-D7-G6-D/F#-Em7
D-G(or G6)-A7-D

That's what I have for the intro. (up to about 32 seconds in). After that all the crowd noise from the movie sort of gets in the way, but basically the song would follow that form with less chord movement and alot of D5-D6 boogie patterns. Solos have the regular rockabillly licks, techniques, scales, etc.

Again feel free to post any comments and/or corrections.
Back to top Go down
stray matt

stray matt

B.S.O. Charts? Empty
PostSubject: Re: B.S.O. Charts?   B.S.O. Charts? EmptyWed Mar 19, 2008 7:14 pm

thanks very much for your time and
effort davy jones great work it sounds good
to me much apriesated cheers al get practicing now
thanks again and look forward to more of your posts

matt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content