The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Recording sessions??

Go down 
+2
Hellvis
DEXTER
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DEXTER

DEXTER

Recording sessions?? Empty
PostSubject: Recording sessions??   Recording sessions?? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 9:24 am

Hey Tommy

Just out of my own morbid anorak curiosity, do you have details of Setzer/Stray Cats recording sessions, dates, songs, possible songs we havent heard, alt versions??
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/286
Hellvis

Hellvis

PostSubject: Re: Recording sessions??   Recording sessions?? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 3:40 pm

Crazy as I am, I'd like to have that too geek
Back to top Go down
stray matt

stray matt

PostSubject: Re: Recording sessions??   Recording sessions?? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 6:08 pm

cool idea man I,am in to cheers
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Recording sessions??   Recording sessions?? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 6:49 pm

Ah, if wishing were enough to make it happen...

I never knew some of those tracks EMI pulled out for The Brian Setzer Collection: '81-'88 existed, so I guess anything's possible.

A few dates are on www.StrayCats.com, in the history section. While you will learn a lot there, it is a pretty broad overview. Certainly, there is nothing regarding alternate takes and unreleased tracks there. It would be pretty incredible if alternate studio versions existed the way they do for the Let's Go Faster sessions. But if you're waiting for EMI to release them, you will likely go to your grave waiting for them. There are thousands of bootlegged tracks out there, but almost none from studio sessions. I can only think of some 1980 demos, Let's Go Faster demos, and the Runaway Boys single without the echo (which was released but is incredibly rare) and Jump Jive and Wail without the fade. Anyone encounter anything else out there from an album session?

I would love to see some sort of timeline on the recording sessions. Perhaps that would be a starting point to track down actual recordings from the powers that be. Perhaps at some point during a reissue process, something will appear.

Someone has the masters for Danny Boy. Interscope, perhaps? Wouldn't you love to hear alternate stuff from the Surfdog albums - especially Ignition??? Of course, if Brian is knocking out brilliant tracks in one or two takes, there might not be many outtakes left over.

I suppose the argument can be made that if the artists felt these tracks were worthy of release, it would have already happened. But you can't blame a fan for askin'...

Outtake-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Hellvis

Hellvis

PostSubject: Re: Recording sessions??   Recording sessions?? EmptyWed Mar 26, 2008 7:59 pm

You got a point Rickabilly, I remember a (very) old interview where Brian said that if a song needs more than one or two takes... F%*£ it! He'd go on to the next one. So, there must be very limited alternate versions and takes.

Now, regarding the 'the artist would have released it if good enough' remark, that's true. As far as the artist is asked input or even permission. But we all know how the record companies work nowadays, don't we?

And I know next to nothing about the Let's Go Faster demos, except that it contains a demo of That Someone Just Ain't You, right? Other than that, is it worth it? Any other song that didn't make the lp?
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: Recording sessions??   Recording sessions?? EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 4:14 pm

Any word on new stuff for the tour?.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hankgarland.com
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Recording sessions??   Recording sessions?? EmptySat Apr 05, 2008 10:31 pm

I was just playing one of the "official" greatest hits packages where Dave Edmunds wrote the liner notes. Check this out:

"I have nothing but great memories of working and playing with Brian, Lee, and Jim (not the least when we went into a studio in New York with Carl Perkins and re-recorded Carl's first Sun LP - with myself on piano - just for the fun of it)."

I think my head just exploded.

Oh, if these recordings were to ever surface...

Go Cat Go! - billy
Back to top Go down
puppy

PostSubject: Re: Recording sessions??   Recording sessions?? EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 9:04 am

I had actually wrote to Tommy a year or two ago about this subject. With everyone and their Mother having had "box sets" I thought it wouild be cool if he did a box of Soundtracks, bonus import tunes and unreleased or alt takes. Tommy didn't rule it out, but couldn't (oe perhaps wouldn't) confirm anything.

One of my favorite bands actually just started ditched their idea of a box and started offering their rare and unreleased recordings in their own download site. .99 a song. They've already put out close to 200 tunes from live to covers to rare tracks. Would love to see that happen. I know not everyone is into the whole mp3 thing, but rare digital Setzer is better than none at all!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hellvis

Hellvis

PostSubject: Re: Recording sessions??   Recording sessions?? EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 6:02 pm

Wow, that Carl Perkins thingy sounds yummy!

Now, 200 songs X $0.99 = Rolling Eyes
But bring it on, all of it! I'll rob a bank or somethin', I don't care
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recording sessions??   Recording sessions?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Recording sessions??
Page 1 of 1