The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I Won't Stand I Your Way

Go down 
+4
Hellvis
rickabilly
gretschoholic
Mikey
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mikey

I Won't Stand I  Your Way Empty
PostSubject: I Won't Stand I Your Way   I Won't Stand I  Your Way EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:18 pm

There are loads of stuff niggling me from the archives, but, since Tommy posted Rant n Rave on the music player, here's a pertanent question:

Why oh why is the key for I Won't Stand In Your Way Anymore different on tha Acappella version?

Is it just one of those studio moments, or is there a genuine reason?

Love

Mikey xx
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: I Won't Stand I Your Way   I Won't Stand I  Your Way EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 3:51 pm

Mikey wrote:
Why oh why is the key for I Won't Stand In Your Way Anymore different on tha Acappella version?

I can only guess, but it's easier to sing in a lower key. Acapella is really hard, and If you listen to that version twice in a row, you'll also notice that they end the song a semitone lower than they start it.

On the Stray Cats' version from the Carl Perkins tribute at the House of Blues in LA on Feb 19th 1998 (yup, it's a bootleg), Brian complains to Lee and Jim about the key. "You sure this is the right key? It's a little high..." And then, as to explain to the audience what the problem is; "You know, when we recorded it, my balls hadn't dropped yet".

These days, they play the song in C. Problem solved Very Happy

Anders
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/builtforspeedband
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: I Won't Stand I Your Way   I Won't Stand I  Your Way EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 4:04 pm

I adore that song, in whatever format, but I really prefer the original track. I love doo-wop, but there's something about that guitar solo - so perfectly understated - that makes it one of my favorites in the whole Setzer catalog. The current live versions, without 14 Karat Soul, or any harmonies whatsoever, are still fun, especially when they launch into that gritty bump-n-grind later in the tune. It doesn't quite have the magic of the soaring leads and tight harmonies of the original, but man is it a great sing-a-long song. Let the 40 and 50 somethings in the audience try to hit those high notes!

Billy Joel once said he was pretty pissed off at that 20-something punk Billy Joel who wrote all those high notes without any regard for the 50-something Billy Joel who would have to sing them 30 years later.

Time to Change, Time to Re-arrange-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Hellvis

Hellvis

PostSubject: Re: I Won't Stand I Your Way   I Won't Stand I  Your Way EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 4:41 pm

rickabilly wrote:
there's something about that guitar solo - so perfectly understated - that makes it one of my favorites in the whole Setzer catalog.

Man! That guitar solo is one of the very best ever! And so natural, so fluid too.
I can't understand why it's never among those "best guitar solo ever" polls.

D
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: I Won't Stand I Your Way   I Won't Stand I  Your Way EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 3:54 am

gretschoholic wrote:
Mikey wrote:
...you'll also notice that they end the song a semitone lower than they start it.

Yeah the lower pitch I noticed as soon as I heard it the first time. Not realy good I'm afraid...
Sad
That's one of the view mistakes that ended up on cd anyway.

Last edited by Patrick on Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: I Won't Stand I Your Way   I Won't Stand I  Your Way EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 5:42 am

Check the tuning pitch on BSO live in Japan DVD/Rumble in Brixton, If I remember it
correct the guitar is tuned to C (not C chord) and the original version on the record goes in E.

The solo is unbelievable cool, beautifully voiced, brilliant work. I think Nikko has tabs for it.
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: I Won't Stand I Your Way   I Won't Stand I  Your Way EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 9:22 am

This is how I play it.
Don't have tabs, just learned it by ear:
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: I Won't Stand I Your Way   I Won't Stand I  Your Way EmptyWed Apr 30, 2008 2:19 pm

That solo is a real good example of how you can create something memorable by just following the melody, as opposed to just blindy running up and down a scale. It's also one of my favorites, but how he sings/hits that note (high E or Eb possibly depending on tuning) at the very end of the song (original version) after the band has stopped playing is beyond me.
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: I Won't Stand I Your Way   I Won't Stand I  Your Way EmptyThu May 01, 2008 3:43 am

Davy Jones wrote:
but how he sings/hits that note (high E or Eb possibly depending on tuning) at the very end of the song (original version) after the band has stopped playing is beyond me.

How about trying some tight underwear??
albino
That's a high one yeah. I can't make that one either.
So on the other hand, do you sing the low F note from let's say:
Jim Reeves - He'll have to go? ...I'll tell the man to turn the jukebox way down low...
Or even worst: The end of Long John Baldrey's - Walk me out in the morning dew?
Back to top Go down
juice3

PostSubject: Re: I Won't Stand I Your Way   I Won't Stand I  Your Way EmptyMon May 05, 2008 4:43 am

YEP...absolutely great song(i like original better) along with "How long ya wanna live,anyway?" best moments in Ran´t´n rave lp.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Won't Stand I Your Way   I Won't Stand I  Your Way Empty

Back to top Go down

I Won't Stand I Your Way
Page 1 of 1