The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Johnny Burnette suggestions

Go down 
+7
TommyM
gretschoholic
motr
sidelakebob
rickabilly
Pirate Paul
andi
11 posters
AuthorMessage
andi

andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

Johnny Burnette suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:47 pm

Hey can anyone recommend which Johnny Burnette compilation CD/set I should buy? Of course I want one that's got all the songs the Cats/Setzer have done, especially Sweet Love on My Mind and Baby Blue Eyes, etc. I notice Amazon has heaps of different ones - are they differently mastered, different versions, etc? Nothing I hate more than getting home a new CD (Bill Haley for example) and finding it's a poor live recording from the 60s with completely different arrangements than the originals (though truth be told I kind of enjoy that CD now).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
Pirate Paul

Pirate Paul

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi Andi,
I dont know about anybody else but I recommend this Johnny Burnette Trio album which has two rockabilly albums in one Cool

Here's the link -->Rock'n'Roll Trio/Tear It Up

Johnny Burnette suggestions JB_trio

But for a little more money you could get this new album that features all the songs from the album above, plus alternate/live tracks.... and a dvd!

Here's the link -->Shattered Dreams

Johnny Burnette suggestions JB_trio_dvd

Cheers PP pirat
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Wow, that Shattered Dreams set looks kickass. Thanks Paul! My mother is coming to visit next week... I wonder if Amazon will get it to her in time for her to bring it with Wink

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:24 pm

Absolutely go for the Shattered Dreams set, Andi! There wasn't a lot of material recorded by these guys as a trio, so odds are if you're looking for the stuff covered by Stray Cats, you're gettin' the originals.

I don't think you'll have to worry about some slapdash re-recorded crap from the Burnette Brothers. Johnny drowned in 1964.

Lonesome Train-a-billy
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyTue May 20, 2008 6:36 pm

Okay, that settles it. I'm putting together an Amazon order now. Anybody else want to make suggestions for other things I should get while I'm at it? Rockabilly compilations, other artist best ofs? And if you had to pick a single Setzer record between Vavoom and WBNO, not including Riot or Ignition which I already have, which would you choose? 13? Red Hot & Live? The live BSO? I need input! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sidelakebob

sidelakebob

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 1:52 am

Do you have Nitro burnin´funny daddy?
Back to top Go down
motr

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 3:41 am

I highly recommend this from Bear:

http://www.bear-family.de/indexframes/index_english.htm

BURNETTE, Johnny
Rockabilly Boogie
CD
BCD 15474 AH
ISBN NUMMER: 3-89795-059-6
EAN-Code: 4000127154743
Musikgebiet: ROCK & ROLL

Search under B for Burnette, Johnny.
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 5:31 am

sidelakebob wrote:
Do you have Nitro burnin´funny daddy?

Nope - that's a potential too, I've been reading about it and reading lyrics from it and it's got me intrigued, sounds like Brian was going through some angst at the time. Reviews for it seem to be very mixed though.

motr wrote:
I highly recommend this from Bear:

Thanks for that motr - but I don't think I can pass up the Shattered Dreams set, what with the bonus DVD! A quick look at the tracklist and they appear to be pretty similar. Any particular reason you like the Rockabilly Boogie set better?
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 11:30 am

andi wrote:
Any particular reason you like the Rockabilly Boogie set better?

Sorry about buttin' in here, but IMO all Bear Family releases have SUPERB sound quality and really informative booklets with session dates etc. I've never seen (or maybe the word is "heard"? Very Happy ) the Shattered Dreams CD/DVD, so I don't know how the sound is compared to the BF-release. The DVD makes it quite tempting, though...

Anders
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/builtforspeedband
andi

andi

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 3:58 pm

That's not butting in Anders, that's being helpful! Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 5:24 pm

Ultimate Collection Live, Red Hot and Live, 13, or Nitro? Wow. You really have a pick of four vastly different albums here.

Red, Hot, and Live is an amazing live album. The thrill of hearing Rock This Town with that barrelhouse boogie woogie piano, and the sped-up Put Your Cat Clothes On are worth the price of the CD. Still, it is a live CD and so you are getting mostly songs you already know, with a few tracks from 13 as well.

Yes, some of 13 is covered on RH&L, but 13 is really about working the recording studio like an instrument to get all kinds of different sounds you've never heard on a Setzer album before. Since your writings have indicated a strong attraction to the swingabilly side of Setzer, 13 may not be a lucky number for you. However, if you think you already have the swingin' side of the BSO covered fairly well in your collection, maybe you would consider 13 because of how different it is from everything else you have. Get on Amazon, or iTunes, and listen to some samples of the songs to hear what I mean. Granted, crappy computer speakers are no way to experience this album, but it might prepare you for what you're about to encounter.

The biggest bang for your buck is probably the Ultimate Live Collection 2CD set which captures two eras of BSO - the Guitar Slinger and Vavoom! tours. It's certainly fun to hear the evolution of the BSO (Ghost Radio live!). But if you have the One Rockin' Night DVD or the Jumpin East of Java live CD you already have most of this 2-CD set. Some people really like live CDs, while others prefer the studio stuff.

I think Nitro is a very underappreciated album. It had the misfortune of following the phemonenal Ignition. There's plenty of rockabilly (Ring Ring Ring, Don't Trust a Woman, Smokin' and a Burnin',) a bit of roadhouse grit (Sixty Years), satirical party music (Drink Whiskey and Shut Up) soul-drenched harmonies (That Someone Ain't You, St Jude) doo-wop (To Be Loved), Jimmy Bryant-fueled boogie (Rat Pack Boogie), and the mighty fine sing-a-long banjo romp of When the Bells Don't Chime. It isn't quite the departure from the swingabilly that 13 is, but you will definitely have to own it soon. The Japan bonus track of Jumpin' at the Capitol is terrific. If you liked For Lisa from Wolfgang, you should really like this track as well. I recycled an old review that was more satirical than serious a few months back HERE.

You wrote with such great enthusiasm and sentiment about your days taking swing dance lessons and discovering the BSO, along with your Jump, Jive, and Wail radio show. Because so many of your fond memories regarding Brian are from those 1994-2000 years, so you might find the 2-disc live BSO set to your liking. But if you want to hear something vastly different from Brian, I'd actually recommend 13. And I do this knowing full well that you'll be buying the others soon. I just know you won't be able to stay away from any of them.

Since I've hijacked this Burnette Brothers thread long enough, I'll post a review I wrote about 13 the day it was released on another thread. It'll either convince you to buy 13 or run screaming to more familiar ground with one of the live albums.

Consumer Reports-a-billy
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 5:38 pm

I am SO glad you replied Rickabilly! Thank you for that in depth analysis- that'll make it a lot easier to go into this with my eyes wide open, but I think you're right, it's only a matter of time before I'm gonna have to get all of them. Maybe for now I'll splurge and get both 13 and the live BSO. You're right, I love love love the swingabilly stuff, as you call it, but I'm also a major sucker for the straight out hard rockabilly (can't beat those first few Cats albums). Ooh, then there's RH&L. Gah! So many choices...
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 6:53 pm

Thanks to whoever was responsible for me buying $80 worth of Amazon rockabilly stuff this morning! (with delivery just in time for the 3 day bank holiday weekend!)
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
andi

andi

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:30 pm

Well spill it, boy- what'd ya buy??
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 8:09 pm

I gotcha beat. I just spent over $100AUD. I forgot about those two Royal Crown Revue CDs I had in my Amazon shopping cart from Oct last year when they played in Brisbane. So soon, hopefully, I'll have Johnny Burnette, RCR, Red Hot and Live and Ultimate Collection Live! (Yeah, I flaked on being adventurous Rickabilly, and went with the two I knew I'd enjoy the most. Smile )
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 8:20 pm

Hey Gang,
Johnny Burnette and the Rock'nRoll Trio, in my opinion were the "punk" element of the fifties, they played with such energy that it makes ya wanna jump and shout!
Paul Burlison is still one of my favourite guitar players and I think that all their stuff sounds great because of the vibe and energy they get across.
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
kbilly

kbilly

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 21, 2008 8:37 pm

That'll Flat Git it! is a seris that I have enjoyed the first couple of volumes of. I got mine at Hepcat Records which is under the Collectors Choice name now I believe. There are 20 plus volumes in that series with at least 20 tracks per disc and I never trust reviewers. As far as all time great pickers it's hard to beat Chet Atkins.
Back to top Go down
brian

PostSubject: the rockn roll trio   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 28, 2008 11:49 am

they were great,check out paul burlison site.he has a great cd out in wich billy burnette and rocky burnette sing train kept a rolling.pretty cool hearing the second generatoin singing along with paul burlison.levon helms from the band also played on it.and billy burnette has a cd ,are you with me baby.. that really rocks.in his notes inside the cd he talks about keeping his dad dorsey and his uncle johnnys music alive .also billys has a cd memphis in manhattan out,really cool.i love there music.the burnettes wrote some great rockers for ricky nelson.brian cat
Back to top Go down
sidelakebob

sidelakebob

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:47 pm

You remember me of a hot rockin night in Sweden 1990-91.

Line up.

Rocky Burnette.
Paul Burlison.
D.J Fontana.
Stan Kessler.

What a night!

[img][img=http://thumbnails.imajr.com/DSC01171-1042791.JPG][/img]
Back to top Go down
MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyWed May 28, 2008 7:27 pm

BEAR FAMILY is a great set to have as well tho.
Back to top Go down
http://www.hankgarland.com
andi

andi

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions EmptyMon Jun 16, 2008 1:20 am

Just resurrecting this topic long enough to say thanks to everyone for their input on what I should get- my order (mentioned upthread) arrived today, with a couple Royal Crown Revue CDs, Johnny Burnette Shattered Dreams, BSO Ultimate Collection and Red Hot & Live.

I haven't even listened to everything yet, but I just got done with RH&L and
OH MY GOD. MY EARS ARE ON FIRE IT IS SO BLOODY GOOD.

This is some of the hottest, most exciting rockabilly I've heard since I was 10.

Thank you Brian & Co!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Johnny Burnette suggestions   Johnny Burnette suggestions Empty

Back to top Go down

Johnny Burnette suggestions
Page 1 of 1