The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why do I have to be so damn dumb???

Go down 
+14
Berndt Ottokatt
StanTheMan
Sam
TommyM
Hellvis
peeteycat
Bear85
Mike
Chillicat
rickabilly
Pinkpiratekitty
Kid Setzer
ArtVandelay
Budgie
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Sam

Sam

Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 9:56 am

rickabilly wrote:
peeteycat wrote:
Is it New Bohemians or THE New Bohemians?

Paul? Anton? Anybody?

Shafer-a-billy

Exactly!

Those of you who were outside the US or not yet born in 1989 will totally miss this reference, which may or may not be the root of all this "to THE or not to THE" nonsense.

David Letterman used to have a show on NBC from 1982-1993. It was on later than his current show, and it seemed quite a bit funnier, although I may have just been more immature. In any case, the week Edie Brickell was on the show with her band, Dave would fixate on whether or not it was Edie Brickell and New Bohemians (which sounded odd) or Edie Brickell and THE New Bohemians. It sure amused me at the time, but I guess ya had to be there. When Edie Brickell and New Bohemians finally played the program, Dave, flustered by his attraction to Edie (the future Mrs. Paul Simon), apologized for referring to the band incorrectly, furthering the joke.

And Dave and Paul Shaffer (his band leader) continued their mock confusion over the lack of "the" in front of New Bohemians, possibly making fun of the pretentiousness of it all. And the gag continued when a certain Long Island trio appeared on the program to perform Gene and Eddie. Those of you who have this on video will notice Dave trying to clarify that there's no "the" in front of Stray Cats.

Am I remembering this correctly, or is there more to the story?

I'm-Not-Aware-of-Too-Many-Things-a-billy

PS - Beautiful Avatar, T!

..... and, if I remember correctly, on later shows, Dave would continue on with the joke by asking Paul if it was "Paul Shaffer and THE World's Most Dangerous Band" or "Paul Shaffer And World's Most Dangerous Band"! Laughing
Back to top Go down
StanTheMan

StanTheMan

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 12:25 pm

Well I'm glad we got that all cleared up. In relation to your other question...

you're not a Yankees fan?

bom
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/synagogue327
Berndt Ottokatt

Berndt Ottokatt

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Greets,
This make no common sense to me in any way. What is this to do with the music side?
Back to top Go down
StanTheMan

StanTheMan

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 12:30 pm

Berndt Ottokatt wrote:
Greets,
This make no common sense to me in any way. What is this to do with the music side?

We're having fun. That's what we do here. clown cheers cherry Laughing Razz king
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/synagogue327
Berndt Ottokatt

Berndt Ottokatt

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 12:36 pm

Oh fun. I remember this. We shall have great fun on this Saturday when we stomp at our outdoors festival. Much fun. I will tell you that!
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 12:55 pm

Berndt Ottokatt wrote:
Oh fun. I remember this. We shall have great fun on this Saturday when we stomp at our outdoors festival. Much fun. I will tell you that!

I hope you will not be drinking the beers before you go stomping. Remember, Chad Keoning always says: "Don't Drink and Stomp!"

The New Big King Fun (because the jacket fits),
Budgie
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stunt_cycle_adventures
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 1:21 pm

TommyM wrote:
rickabilly wrote:
I'm-Not-Aware-of-Too-Many-Things-a-billy PS - Beautiful Avatar, T!

Richard,
That's what happened AND.....my pal with the Grammys and the Gretsches replied....."NO 'THE' ".

rendeer

Ain't this fun?,
T

There must be lotsa confusion goin' on, because a certain Mr Leon Drucker (I think he's a bass player... Cool ) keeps using the "The" before Stray Cats. Oh well... (to "the" or not to "the" king )

Anyway, in EXACTLY three months I'm gonna see a cool rockin' band at Berns in Stockholm. Can't wait!!!! Very Happy

Anders
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/builtforspeedband
Sam

Sam

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 3:08 pm

Budgie wrote:
Berndt Ottokatt wrote:

I hope you will not be drinking the beers before you go stomping. Remember, Chad Keoning always says: "Don't Drink and Stomp!"

The New Big King Fun (because the jacket fits),
Budgie

But, what dis having to do with the musics of the fun and sexy times? drunken cheers

Borat-a-billy
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 3:33 pm

I do miss The Queen...................

Freddy Mercury rules,
The Scatman

PS Anybody know what Jooles is up to these days?
Back to top Go down
brent

brent

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 9:21 pm

And Dave and Paul Shaffer (his band leader) continued their mock confusion over the lack of "the" in front of New Bohemians, possibly making fun of the pretentiousness of it all. And the gag continued when a certain Long Island trio appeared on the program to perform Gene and Eddie. Those of you who have this on video will notice Dave trying to clarify that there's no "the" in front of Stray Cats.

I'm-Not-Aware-of-Too-Many-Things-a-billy

I was going to say the exact same thing Rickabilly. I clearly remember Dave saying to Brian "It's just Stray Cats?" And Brian replying "Just Stray Cats...no the" and Dave repeating the same thing to the audience.
Back to top Go down
http://tigersharks.ca
WildCat

WildCat

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 29, 2008 10:49 pm

Scatman wrote:
PS Anybody know what Jooles is up to these days?
Haven't talked to her in a while, but she did make an appearance on the board in APRIL...

Wild-searchenginequeen-Cat
cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Why do I have to be so damn dumb???
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2