A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:26 pm

Another good question. Tis' tough to choose, but if I narrow it down, at present I'd pick two besides Sleepwalk, which is in its own league in my opinion.

Recorded Cover Song: Town Without Pity (originally by Gene Pitney)

Live Cover Song: Twenty Flight Rock (originally by Eddie Cochran)

I'll add that all versions of 20 Flight Rock are great but I especially like the 04' Rumble In Brixton performance, as he really played an awesome guitar solo (5 choruses!) on that pass. Also, Town Without Pity is such a great song I have to include it. He really does the tune justice with two distinct performances of it (Stray Cats/BSO). I personally like the Stray Cats version a little bit better because it sort of has that "Perry Mason" theme vibe going.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
larocka

PostSubject: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:54 pm

I FOUGHT THE LAW !!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:31 pm

As we were mentioning Buddy Holly tunes, I'd have to list Lonesome Tears as one of my all-time favorite Stray Cats covers. It doesn't need substantial guitar slinging to be fantastic. Sometimes the simpler, the better. Brian's vocals are rich and smooth, and the accompaniment is perfectly suited to the song.

You'll never get me to pick just one, but, I'll limit myself to the commercially released records, and list these among my favorites:

Sleepwalk
Rock Therapy
Lonesome Tears
Double Talkin' Baby
Please Don't Touch

That 20 Flight Rock from Brixton is awesome!

Despite the title of the thread, demanding your favorite cover, I do love the discussions of the various live shows. I can't actually call the Love Is All Around from the 1984 tours my favorite, but I do love the fact that it was covered at all. It's those one-offs and rarely covered classics that turn a lot of us fans into drooling idiots. Those early '90s covers of These Boots Were Made for Walkin' and Crazy Little Thing Called Love, while not the most polished renditions, are a genuine thrill every time I give 'em a listen.

I'd really love to hear the cover of Holly's Words of Love. I hear they did it on one of their early 90's UK tours.

Cover-up-a-billy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bear85

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:16 pm

Rickabilly,

As usual, I am in awe of your encyclopedic knowledge of music in general, and Brian Setzer in particular.

We're-not-worthy-a-billy,
Bear85
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TommyM
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:21 pm

I forgot to mention the BSO's version of "Got To Get You Into My Life". I was blown away when I heard that in AC back in....1998, was it? Great charts. Brian singing Beatles is always a good thing.

Of course, I should refrain from mentioning the unusual version of Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy" which was left on my answering machine several weeks ago. THAT was a mind-blower.

Hush hush eye to eye,
T
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tommymaguire.com
Shinya

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:25 pm

TRAIN KEPT A ROLLIN ,BABY BLUE EYES ,Mystery Train and BE BOP A LULA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://1st.geocities.jp/rms_nakai/
rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:50 pm

Bear85 wrote:
Rickabilly,

As usual, I am in awe of your encyclopedic knowledge of music in general, and Brian Setzer in particular.

We're-not-worthy-a-billy,
Bear85

There are a many others who've been obsessing about this stuff for many more years than I have. I am merely the beneficiary of the generosity of other super-fans who have shared their knowledge over the years. I am humbled in the presence of other walkin', talkin' treasure troves of Setzology around here - who happen to be great people as well.

Love Is All Around-a-billy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burner1

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:54 pm

I saw BSO do "Got to Get You Into My Life" - totally forgot about that.
It really was amazing. Were there any thoughts to putting it on a record? Seems like a lot of work to chart out something like that just for giggles.
The AC shows were the first signs that I was getting older. I was so happy to be waiting on line INDOORS rather than standing in the rain outside the Ritz or the Stone Pony.

BTW, great call Shinya - Train Kept a Rollin' was awsome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.burnersrock.com
rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:52 pm

rickabilly wrote:

I'd really love to hear the cover of Holly's Words of Love. I hear they did it on one of their early 90's UK tours.

Cover-up-a-billy

I have this one wrong, actually. They covered Well, Alright during their 1990 UK tour.

Holly-billy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rocky Mountain Cat

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:26 pm

It's very hard to pick just one. My favorites include:
Baby Blue Eyes
C'mon Everybody
Lonesome Tears
Oh Boy

Stop! In The Name Of Love & Love Is All Around are my least favorite covers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobson

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:34 pm

Somethin' Else.
I also really like My One Desire, which is a really good cover. I'd love to hear BSO do Go to get you into my life. Have they ever done Fly me to the moon?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Madman

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:57 am

My one desire.
Although I must admit to a great weakness for Can't hurry love.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cool Irish Cat

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:45 am

Definitley a tough question, but I'm going with Double Talkin Baby, Cruisin, My One Desire.

Liam
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://liam.mathews@delni.gov.uk
lonesomecat

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:16 pm

" BLAST OFF " !!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/lonesomecatz
Budgie
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:20 pm

I've always dug the way the boys tore up "I Fought the Law."

Budgie Fuller
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/stunt_cycle_adventures
rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Blast Off is a cover tune? I don't think it is, but if you know who did a song that's remarkably similar (as sometimes happens in the music biz) I'd love to hear about it!

Stray Cat Strut, How Long You Wanna Live Anyway, many others = Original composition either written by Setzer, Phantom, Rocker, or someone else and Stray Cats either released the first recorded version or first successful release. (Gina, for example, written and performed by The Paine Brothers, but it is without question a Stray Cats tune.)

Commercially released "Cover" tunes include:

Ubangi Stomp
Jeannie, Jeannie, Jeannie
Wild Saxophone
My One Desire
Double Talkin' Baby
Baby Blue Eyes
Wasn't That Good
Sweet Love On My Mind
You Can't Hurry Love
Lookin' Out My Back Door
Somethin' Else
Sixteen Candles
Rock Therapy
One Hand Loose
Beautiful Delilah
Race With the Devil
Lookin' for Someone to Love
Town Without Pity
Please Don't Touch
Sleepwalk
Mystery Train
20 Flight Rock
Oh Boy
I Fought the Law
Lonesome Tears
Your True Love
Be Bop a Lula
Blue Jean Bop
Can't Help Falling in Love
Flying Saucers Rock-n-Roll
Train Kept a Rollin'
Stood Up
Let It Rock
Trying to Get to You
Hidden Charms
My Baby Left Me
Good Rockin' Tonight
That's All Right Mama (both on Brixton and w/ Johnny Hallyday)
Blue Suede Shoes (w/ Johnny Hallyday)

I'm not gonna list Fishnet Stockings, Crawl Up and Die, or Everybody Needs Rock-n-Roll - they may be derivative, but they are not true covers.

If Blast Off happens to be a cover tune, I would love to find the original - it's truly one of the best things about being a Stray Cats fan: all the other music for which they send you searchin'.

Got It Covered-billy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hellvis

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:16 pm

Lonesomecat, could it be you're mixing this up? This is about 'covers' as in Stray Cats recording an old song written by someone else; not 'cover' as in album sleeve.
Just wondering as I see you're german and as far as I know (and the vinyl label says) Blast Off is an original.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Setzerado

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:42 pm

I suppose lonesomecat thinks about Hank Mitzel's "Jungle Rock" for Blast Off inspiration, no ?
I'm sorry but it's not like a "real" a cover...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:07 pm

TommyM wrote:
Of course, I should refrain from mentioning the unusual version of Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy" which was left on my answering machine several weeks ago. THAT was a mind-blower.

Good lord what I wouldn't give to hear that.

As for my fave Stray Cats covers, there are lots and they change frequently. But:

1. Crawl Up & Die (sort of a cover of Bill Allen's "Please Give Me Something") - Brian's voice has never sounded like this before or since. The yearning, longing, desirous screams in that song... whoa.

2. My One Desire - a recording that somehow, to my ear, transcends Ricky Nelson's version and makes it a quintessential, beautiful, perfect rockabilly moment in time.

3. Wasn't That Good - LOVE the sax in this song, and how different it is from Wynonie Harris' version. Then of course there's the heavy breathing.

4. Sweet Love on My Mind - my recent most favourite song on the planet, regardless of who it's by. I love the way the Cats open this one with the guitar that isn't in the Jimmy & Johnny or Johnny Burnette versions. I do wish the Cats had done the entire final verse:

Quote :
Well the river looks cold and the bottom is a long way down
If you really gonna leave me, that's where I'm gonna be found
When the mailman comes in the morning, there's a note upon my door
Just bring my mail to the bottom of the river, I don't live here no more
I'm a man who's got nothing but sweet love on my mind

Songs like this one and "Let's Play House" by Elvis ("I'd rather see you dead little girl than to be with another man") talked about love to the death in a way that you just don't get in songs today. There's something about this passion/insanity that I like. What does that say about me?

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
Buddyrocker

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:37 am

The first two I think of is the Holly song "Looking for someone to love" and "My one desire" with Ricky Nelson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juice3

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:09 am

hey ANDI,you took my words!! Sweet love...(from S cat strut maxi ep) is wonderful and crawl up...also. Fishnet stockings is kind of cover also(heavily based on Lew Williams bop da bop..,brian made it bit diffrent,brilliant). Im big J.Burnette fan,but i have to say Cats version of baby blue eyes is BETTER.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:15 am

juice3, Fishnet Stockings was my alltime favourite for many years- I think to the point that I got tired of it (it'll probably come around to the top of the list again in a couple years). And I've always loved loved loved Baby Blue Eyes and Double Talkin' Baby. This is too hard. They all rock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
brian

PostSubject: another cover   Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:43 pm

Well another il love is Please Dont Touch....brian cat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brian

PostSubject: damn another   Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:46 pm

Good Rockin Tonight live,from rumble in brighton tonight...thanks ,brian
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nosey joe

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:44 pm

Be-Bop-A-Lula and Blue Jean Bop from Original Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?   

Back to top Go down

Favorite Stray Cats cover of a song?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next