The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rockabilly Riot Volume 2

Go down 
+9
Mikey
andi
SwanseaCity
Jett Black
carboncat
rickabilly
Bear85
Brooklyn Bomber
scatcatcnut
13 posters
AuthorMessage
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 Empty
PostSubject: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 1:38 pm

Any suggestions for the next one? How about these for Brian & Co:

Joe Penny - Bip A Little
Gene Vincent - Git It
Groovey Joe Poovey - Move Around
Benny Joy - Spin The bottle
Joe Clay - 16 Chicks (already done on a bootleg I've got)
Tarheel Slim - Wildcat Tamer or Scratchin' On My Screen
Ersel Hickey - Going Down That Road
Warren Smith -Uranium Rock
Wally Jeffrey - Oh Yeah
Jimmy Edwards - Love Bug Crawl
Hank Mizell - Jungle Rock

and not rockabilly but why not -
Hank Ballard - Finger Poppin' Time
Freddie Cannon - Buzz Buzz a Diddle It
Back to top Go down
Brooklyn Bomber

Brooklyn Bomber

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 3:21 pm

How about "Rockabilly Riot Vol. 1: A Tribute To Buddy Holly". I mean I never heard any better version of "Rock Around With Ollie Vee" as the one by Brian back in 87/88. A tribute to Buddy Holly would be just fantastic. Buddy Holly had so many great tunes...and next year - 2009 - the day the music died becomes 50! Ain't that reason enough, huh????

BB What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.briansetzer.de
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 3:27 pm

Oh, that is a FANTASTIC idea!!

Now my idea for one individual track seems kind of puny by comparison; I was going to suggest something I heard on Pandora a few days ago. Conway Twitty did one called "I Vibrate" - I had never heard it before. It is way cool.

Last edited by Bear85 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 3:31 pm

I wouldn't complain about that one, but how 'bout recording songs from all the members of that ill-fated flight? Brian's voice is kinda in that Big Bopper range (I would love to hear White Lightnin') and Ritchie Valens had some pretty great rockers in his short career.

If people are concerned about the "rockabilly" label being a commercial kiss of death, it wouldn't have to be called Rockabilly Riot, Volume 2.

Personally, I think Brian may have a lot more to contribute than a covers album, but perhaps we'd be fortunate enough to get an original material and a covers album in the same year?

Come On, Let's Go-a-billy
Back to top Go down
carboncat

carboncat

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 4:12 pm

YES!! YES!! YES!! I'm 110% with you on that one Brooklyn Bomber
That really would be something cheers cheers cheers
Carbon Cat UK
Back to top Go down
Jett Black

Jett Black

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 4:22 pm

Bear85 wrote:
Oh, that is a FANTASTIC idea!!

Now my idea for one individual track seems kind of puny by comparison; I was going to suggest something I heard on Pandora a few days ago. Conway Twitty did one called "I Vibrate" - I had never heard it before. It is way cool.

I believe an obscure Sun artist named Mack Self originally did "I Vibrate." I'm pretty sure that was his name. Very cool tune. Very cool version.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jettblackmusic
SwanseaCity

SwanseaCity

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyThu Jun 12, 2008 6:07 pm

Jet Black,

Mack Self's song was called "Vibrate" not " I Vibrate". It is a totally different song to the Conway Twitty one! I don't know if I would agree with your use of the word obscure either. Mack had quite a decent output, and is one of my favourites. Have a look at this link for some details.

http://rcs.law.emory.edu/rcs/artists/s/self4200.htm
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 3:55 am

scatcatcnut wrote:
How about these for Brian & Co:

Man, I've got some catching up to do- other than Love Bug Crawl I don't think I know any of those. So much great music, so little time. I have been obsessed with "Sweet Love on My Mind" for the last month and would love to hear a high quality Setz recording of it.

We just did a roadtrip yesterday and had a bunch of rockabilly on a mix CD for the drive - the Rockabilly Riot stuff sounded so good in the mix, somehow completely modern and yet authentic and "vintage" sounding all at the same time. Really, really love that record more and more, the more I listen to it!
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 9:44 am

Left off my all-time fav. rockabilly tune - 'love me' by the phantom - also 'froggy went a courtin' done like danny dell.

some buddy would be cool but maybe not the obvious ones - my personal favourite is peggy sue got married - particularly the acoustic version he recorded himself in his apartment as a demo - there are 3 posthumously overdubbed versions I think - I actually quite like those as well.
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 5:45 pm

My Two Cents

Tell ya what i liked... Jeff Beck with the big Town Playboys faithfully copying Gene Vincent songs. I'd love an album of Brian doing Eddie Cochran songs, or Buddy Holly.

Got a weord question for everyone, and i'd appreciate an honest answer - have you ever wondered how Brian would sound duetting with a modern artiste ( i'm not talking Aerosmith here, i mean Britney Spears, Mariah (Hari) Carey!!!??? Bet you a cent to a dollar he could pull it off. Based on the fact that brian's music is credible and (i'll leave it there). come on guys, step off that shelf and tell me your thoughts?????

Mikey Cat-among-the-pigeons-abilly
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyFri Jun 13, 2008 5:57 pm

I have been obsessed with "Sweet Love on My Mind" for the last month and would love to hear a high quality Setz recording of it.

You HAVE to hear the b'side version which is, to this day, unsurpassed- I'll send you it if you like ) it's the bside of \little \missprissy.

\\\\\\mikey x
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 4:39 pm

Mikey wrote:
I have been obsessed with "Sweet Love on My Mind" for the last month and would love to hear a high quality Setz recording of it.

You HAVE to hear the b'side version which is, to this day, unsurpassed- I'll send you it if you like ) it's the bside of \little \missprissy.

\\\\\\mikey x

Hey Mikey! I PMd you to say "YES PLEASE!" but I hear there's some weirdness going on in PMland - so thought I'd follow up and say "YES PLEASE!" here too, just to be sure! My email is ahazelwood at gmail dot com Smile Thank you Thank you!
Back to top Go down
wee mark

wee mark

Location : Newtonhill, 10 miles south of Aberdeen(In Bonnie Scotland.).

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptySat Jun 14, 2008 5:48 pm

Mikey, hey for sure! Sweet love on my mind....................I have loved that song for years,and wished the recording was of better quality.
The guitar at the start,just sets me off.

Also like to add that,i think the Cats should do Really Rockailly during the Euro tour, think that would go down a storm.

Mark.
Back to top Go down
Buddyrocker

Buddyrocker

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyWed Jun 18, 2008 1:05 am

Quote :
How about "Rockabilly Riot Vol. 1: A Tribute To Buddy Holly". I mean I never heard any better version of "Rock Around With Ollie Vee" as the one by Brian back in 87/88. A tribute to Buddy Holly would be just fantastic. Buddy Holly had so many great tunes...and next year - 2009 - the day the music died becomes 50! Ain't that reason enough, huh????

Wonderful idea! If it was up to me to pick 15 songs, I would choose these...

Blue days & Black nights
Everyday
Love Me
Rock around with Ollie Vee
Crying waiting hoping
I'm changing all those changes
Oh boy
Think it over
Peggy Sue got married
Not fade away
Mailman bring me no more blues
Rave on
True love ways (can imgagine Brian doing a great guitar solo here)
Baby won't you come out tonight
Tell me how

Bonus track: Real wild child Cool
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 3:42 pm

andi wrote:
Mikey wrote:

\\\\\\mikey x

Hey Mikey! I PMd you to say "YES PLEASE!" but I hear there's some weirdness going on in PMland - so thought I'd follow up and say "YES PLEASE!" here too, just to be sure! My email is ahazelwood at gmail dot com Smile Thank you Thank you!

Sorry Andi

It may not be PM land that's crappy, it could just as easily be me... Now, i have to figure out how to get my 45's on to this new fangled computer.... i WILL get it to you Andi and THAT's a promise....

Mikey (true to his word) x
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 3:47 pm

Buddyrocker wrote:
Quote :

Wonderful idea! If it was up to me to pick 15 songs, I would choose these...

Blue days & Black nights
Everyday
Love Me
Rock around with Ollie Vee
Crying waiting hoping
I'm changing all those changes
Oh boy
Think it over
Peggy Sue got married
Not fade away
Mailman bring me no more blues
Rave on
True love ways (can imgagine Brian doing a great guitar solo here)
Baby won't you come out tonight
Tell me how

Bonus track: Real wild child Cool

Ohhhh ! I just died and went to heaven... YESSS PLAESEE. And to think he wrote and recorded all those wonderful somgs between 1954 and 1959. Buddy, i'll always remember you with a tear in my eyes.

Changing all those changes is may fave suggestion there. What about Send Me Some Lovin'?

Mikey Hardin
Back to top Go down
jaybird

jaybird

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Sweet Love On My Mind bounce
Saw this track mentioned so hope you guys enjoy this

Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/jay
andi

andi

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 8:40 pm

thanks for that jaybird- the first place I saw or heard the song, ever, by anyone, was that youtube clip! It's been all downhill from there Smile
Back to top Go down
jaybird

jaybird

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 8:47 pm

andi wrote:
thanks for that jaybird- the first place I saw or heard the song, ever, by anyone, was that youtube clip! It's been all downhill from there Smile

I actually have that entire gig on video & the irony is, that particular track is edited out Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.rockabillyfever.com/jay
Mark Suede

Mark Suede

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 2:22 pm

JITTERBOP BABY...16 CHICKS....LET'S GO BOPPIN TONIGHT....DRINKIN WINE SPO DEE O DEE....DRUGSTORE ROCK AND ROLL... cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rockabilly Riot Volume 2   Rockabilly Riot Volume 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rockabilly Riot Volume 2
Page 1 of 1