The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Guitar Help

Go down 
+14
rickabilly
Buddyrocker
Dibbs Preston
TommyM
Darrel_Higham
WildCat
Guitarmaniac
brent
Patrick
1954inMemphis
PICKIN' PETE
Vinny
brett
markkunie
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
markkunie

markkunie

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 3:17 pm

I am thinking about getting a New Epiphone ES295. You know the gold one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-ES-295-Electric-Guitar-with-Bigsby-Tremolo-518554-i1150073.gc

2 Things bother me though, and maybe you guys can help.

The bridge is not pinned.. Won't it move??
The PUPS are Probably really cheap? What would you do.. and Save $$$$$
I wanna get another guitar but would get one with more functions if the es 295 is not on the menu
I appreciate the Input here Mucho!
Mark K
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/markkunie
brett

brett

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 3:41 pm

oh i think this guitar is good. It´s the Scotty Model, right?
The brigde could move sometimes, yes. but this problem got a lot of "oldfashioned" Hollowbody guitars. (but we all like these beauties)

The Pubs are P90. These Pick ups are legendary.
Listen to "heartbreak Hotel" or the solo of "Blue Suede Shoes" (from Elvis) or all Elvis Songs with Scotty Moore.

So, i think this guitar rocks... Cool

Good luck

Brett
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rhythm56
Vinny

Vinny

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 4:35 pm

the whole will the bridge move thing doesnt really do much...i mean, you cant go and do dive bombs with a bigsby anyway...unless your Brian Setzer... If you do, it will move....if you slam your fist real...real...real hard against it while you strum. Other than that, i have never gone out of inotation (if thats how you spell it) from the bridges moving. As for Pups...see above, P-90's are awesome
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 4:44 pm

last weekend while i was playing, my singer went backwards and hit me and my guitar.
In this moment my brigde moved and the guitar was out of tune. (and i fixed my bridge with a little glue). But he hits me really hard.

During normal playing nothing move or is out of tune.
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyThu Jun 19, 2008 7:34 pm

Hey markkunie,
How goes? I just had my Gretsch's bridge pinned through were the height adjustment screws go. Easy and cheap job. My friend has the same thing on his '57 6120, which was done in the 70's before their value went through the roof, very effective. The P90's are a great sounding unit as well. If you don't want to drill through the body, double sided tape and heavier strings is the most common fix for stopping bridge movement.
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
brett

brett

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 4:47 am

PICKIN' PETE wrote:
Hey markkunie,
How goes? I just had my Gretsch's bridge pinned through were the height adjustment screws go. Easy and cheap job. Cheers Pete.

Hi Pete,

how did you managed this work?
Drill a little hole in the guitar? affraid

Greets from Hamburg (hometown of Harley Davidson this weekend)
Back to top Go down
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 5:53 am

I´d never pin the bridges of my Gretsch or my Aria FA80. IMHO pinning steals sound and authenticity... yeah, changing strings might be a little horrible but therefore 3M has tapes, so what? affraid cyclops

Would you install a brake-assistant to your Hot Rod Model A? lol!
Back to top Go down
Vinny

Vinny

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 12:23 pm

1954inMemphis wrote:

Would you install a brake-assistant to your Hot Rod Model A? lol!

Well said.
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyFri Jun 20, 2008 9:44 pm

Hey 1954,
Nice ta meet ya! Umm, I have big, heavy hands and arms, so I always had/have a problem knocking the bridge. After playing a pinned original '57 6120 and, to me at least, hearing no difference to another original '57 6120 that was there as well, it was enough to convince me! Each to his own! The pinned '57 was done in the early '70s, probably not worth near as much as today. My Gretsch if it was an older model, I'd hesitate, but as a Hot Rod model.......ya gotta "hot rod' them!! hahaha!!
Hey Brett buddy, the screw for the saddle just goes throgh the body, just need to find the right threaded rod long enough for the travel. I think the Setzer Signiture is pinned isn't it?
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 2:34 am

PICKIN' PETE wrote:
Hey 1954,

Hey Brett buddy, the screw for the saddle just goes throgh the body, just need to find the right threaded rod long enough for the travel. I think the Setzer Signiture is pinned isn't it?
Cheers Pete.

Yes, it is.

Thanks Pete...
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 7:34 am

Do they have the P90's?
Even my Gibson has the P100's. That epi looks great. I believe the body is less thicker then the Gibson's?
But why did Epi bolt the Bigsby into the top? To me that must have some effect on the sound of any arched top.
Back to top Go down
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 7:55 am

Hey Pete!

Nice to meet ya too!

Hey, if you need a brake assistant in ye olde Hot Rodde feel free to build it as you like. Wink A guitar is a tool for a craftsman called guitarist. If pinned bridge helps you to handle your Gretsch easier - just do it! It´s the result that counts! Right?

Sascha
Back to top Go down
Vinny

Vinny

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 11:28 am

Patrick wrote:
Do they have the P90's?
Even my Gibson has the P100's. That epi looks great. I believe the body is less thicker then the Gibson's?
But why did Epi bolt the Bigsby into the top? To me that must have some effect on the sound of any arched top.

The bigsby is bolted on top because the body is much thinner, almost as much as say a es-335 or a les paul. The strings over the bridge are at a much lower angle to the body as they travel from the bigsby. This kind of bigsby has that second roller bar that keeps tension on the strings. If it wasnt bolted down the bigsby would lift off of the face of the guitar as you used it. But its strange, i know ive seen this type of guitar (scotty moore) with a standard bigsby before too....hmmm
Back to top Go down
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptySat Jun 21, 2008 11:42 am

You are talking about a Bigsby B7 with a tension bar. What you might have seen at Scotty Moore´s guitar was a Bigsby B6 on a full size Gibson ES 295 like this

New Guitar Help Dscn1510

I think Epiphones don´t come along with a B6, Gretsch does...

@markunie

in that class the better choice anyway... tongue Wink get yourself a 51 Electromatic...
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 7:41 am

Hey 1954,
Yeah I agree with ya. When I was fighting, I had a belief that whatever worked was gonna get ya outta trouble! I use the same priciples when I play or fight, have a strategy plan (song structure/chord sequence), have a fall back plan (chord sustitutions/boogie patterns etc), a tried and tested strike (generic riff that you can pull out and know that it will work till you get ya place again) and whatever will work (bash that E chord till the cows come home!!).
At the end of the day, we just wanna be better guitarists, and I think that having a guitar that plays best for you makes that journey a hell of alot easier.
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 10:52 am

Nothing to add! Smile
Back to top Go down
markkunie

markkunie

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 11:28 am

I have been playing an ESP Xtone... Really nice Has the Seymour JB/Jazz PUPS and a Bigsby,,, I laready tried the 5120 and the PUPs are Horrible and not worth the $$ So Now I see the Epi is worse than the 5120? Man I guess I may just go another way,,, Get a different Color Esp Xtone and just be the Xtone Guy?? Prolly would be best! Thanks! So Much!
MK
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/markkunie
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 2:48 am

I admit the 5120s stock humbucker do absolutely not hit everyones taste but if you swap to TV Jones Filtertrons the sun ist going up! Otherwise you may give the 5127 with DeArmond Single Coils a try. They are much much better!

If I were to buy another guitar (my wife´s gonna kill me tho....) and had to decide between Gretsch and Epiphone I´d buy the Gretsch again.
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 3:02 am

Hey 1954,
Are we married to the same woman?!?! My wife reckons she's gonna kill if I come home with anymore guitars/effects/cars/car parts/tools!!
Do you think it's a secret women code? Or is it a genetic thing with women? It doesn't seem to apply to hand bags and shoes though, does it! hahaa!
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 3:13 am

Seems to be a typical female genetic fault....

If I buy a guitar she says: "What do you need THIS guitar for, now? You already have got 10 and you only can play one at a time..."

This said by somebody who owns 40+ pair of shoes and boots... and yes, uncounted numbers of handbags....
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 3:14 am

PICKIN' PETE wrote:
Hey 1954,

Do you think it's a secret women code? Or is it a genetic thing with women? It doesn't seem to apply to hand bags and shoes though, does it! hahaa!
Cheers Pete.

yep, it is, everywhere all over the world the same game.
We are the hunter, but the girls want to tell us, what we have to hunt. because they have to take care for the whole family.
(and they do it well).
But if we see a cool guitar (or Car, Bike)...our instict says "take it.. " What a Face

It is a genetec code...for sure...
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 3:20 am

Hey brett,
How ya doin buddy?
Yes...yes it is....
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
brent

brent

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 10:48 am

Steering back to the topic at hand (Pete!) Very Happy I have a 1952 Es-295 that is not pinned and at one point (when I giged with it) I had a bigsby on it and never had a problem with the bridge sliding. It's all part of the fun! The Epiphone is a great, relativley inexpensive rockabilly guitar.
Back to top Go down
http://tigersharks.ca
Guitarmaniac

Guitarmaniac

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 11:38 am

1954inMemphis wrote:
Seems to be a typical female genetic fault....

If I buy a guitar she says: "What do you need THIS guitar for, now? You already have got 10 and you only can play one at a time..."

This said by somebody who owns 40+ pair of shoes and boots... and yes, uncounted numbers of handbags....

My mom also seems to have this genetic defect.
I mean, i definitly have G.A.S sometimes but right now I really know what I want and I'm saving my money for it.
At first I'll go for a Gretsch SSLVO and then for a new tube-amp.
Right now I have found a good sounding compromise when I use my Fender FM65R, on which I really like the clean channel, with my new Boss BD2.
I can definitly get some cool Rock'n Roll sounds with that.
So my mom asked me why I needed another Guitar, I had already bought a Fender Strat for about 1.200 Euros last year and now I want a 3000 Euro Gretsch.
Here's what she said: "You could buy a small car with that money!"
Which is true, but I don't want to buy a car^^
She really likes my Rockabilly playing but just won't understand why I need a Gretsch for that^^
Help me to convince my mom!!

Greets from Munich
Chris
Back to top Go down
http://rhcp-online.de
WildCat

WildCat

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 1:27 pm

PICKIN' PETE wrote:
Hey 1954,
Are we married to the same woman?!?! My wife reckons she's gonna kill if I come home with anymore guitars/effects/cars/car parts/tools!!
Cheers Pete.
I think I'm offended. Don't be lumping all women into the same mold!

I myself collect comic books, so if my guy wants to collect something, cars... guitars... whatever... more power to him!

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
Sponsored content

New Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help Empty

Back to top Go down

New Guitar Help
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next