The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

buzzes and Pops

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
onefin

onefin

buzzes and Pops Empty
PostSubject: buzzes and Pops   buzzes and Pops EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 12:10 am

Does Anyone know what the measurement is in inches from the body to the bottom of the turn screw (or top) or center of string high and low E should be actually is there a standard place of measurement my Setzer Nashville G6120SSLVO buzzes a little I suspect that the string action is too close to the fret board I had checked with a straight edge and one of the frets was a little high (lifted up) I filed it down EVER SO SLIGHTLY it still buzzes. Problem number two is that the low E string pops off the bridge as in out of the notch relatively easy doesn’t take allot of bend. Any thoughts
Thanks All

buzzes and Pops Untitl12
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

buzzes and Pops Empty
PostSubject: Re: buzzes and Pops   buzzes and Pops EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 2:29 pm

I can't seem to find that measurement info. at the moment, but you might try the gretsch websites/forums as well. I thought I remembered someone discussing that topic on here in the Guitar section before, but it might have been for one of the other Setzer models.

My thoughts on your particular issue are:

1. If the rest of the strings are fine, you're just having issues with the two E's, maybe you could try adjusting (raising/lowering) the individual string action (saddles) for each string instead of the entire bridge.

2. Are you using the standard (0.10's) string gauge? If you are, perhaps the slit in the low E saddle is not wide enough to hold the string in place. Maybe you might want to file it wider by just a bit. If not, perhaps the low E string diameter is too wide for the slit.

Again, that's just a couple of my guesses. Maybe they'll help. Good luck either way.
Back to top Go down
burner1

burner1

buzzes and Pops Empty
PostSubject: Re: buzzes and Pops   buzzes and Pops EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 4:28 pm

based on the rules we followed at Epiphone (quite some time ago), measure from the top of the fret to the underside of the string. Electric: At the 12th fret the height should be 6/64' for the low E and 4/64" for the high E. For an Acoustic the measurements would be 7/64" and 5/64".
I have a Guild that sometimes lets me go a bit lower; but I've found these to be decent guidelines.
Other things can definitely come into play (string guage, irregular frets, and neck bow).
Hopefully you just have to adjust the string height a bit. If it is the bridge pictured, just adjust each side to these measurements to see if it solves the problem.
Also, a quick fix to a slight sting buzz is a new set of strings. If your guitar is new and still has the original strings (or an old set) they may not be providing the required tension on the neck.

Davy Jones is right on the money with his comments, especially filing the saddle to make a hair more room for the string to sit well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.burnersrock.com
onefin

onefin

buzzes and Pops Empty
PostSubject: Re: buzzes and Pops   buzzes and Pops EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 12:29 am

Thank You Thank you for taking time out of the busy world for the answers You guys are awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

buzzes and Pops Empty
PostSubject: Re: buzzes and Pops   buzzes and Pops Empty

Back to top Go down

buzzes and Pops
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Forum That Came Back From The Dead :: WELCOME TO THE TWILIGHT ZONE :: GUITAR RELATED DISCUSSION-
Jump to: