The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gretsch vs. Australia

Go down 
+6
Niblos
Vinny
Mike
PICKIN' PETE
Kid Setzer
andi
10 posters
AuthorMessage
andi

andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

Gretsch vs. Australia Empty
PostSubject: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 7:08 pm

When I was buying my guitar at the local shop, I asked why they carried Gretsch drums but not Gretsch guitars. I was told that Gretsch guitars fall apart in the dry Australian climate, and that's why there is no Australian Gretsch wholesaler. The lass told me that she had two Gretsches that she bought while living in the US and upon returning to Australia the laminate started coming apart.

I know there are plenty of authorised Gretsch dealers in this country and plenty of Aussie bands that play them. Anyone care to comment?
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 7:13 pm

I still want one Razz

I know the humidity is bad for guitars in general, I learnt that the hard way.

Kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 8:43 pm

Hey andi,
I've had my Gretsch since '99, no problems. My mate Chris from "The Saucermen" has had his for the same time. The guitarist from "The Flat Trackers" the same. They're all the same year tangerine Hot Rods! My mate Terry From "Twang Central Guitars" (guitar shop that specializes in vintage guitars, amps and effects) has 2 '57 6120 with DeArmonds, 1 no problems, 1 with slight cracking/crazing in the binding. But you're talking about 52 year old guitars, built with wood thats obviousily older again.
I don't see that keeping your guitars indoors 99% of the time is going to affect them? If you left them outside, no matter what brand, then that's another story.
Me thinks price and specialized market may be the real factor! Most of us that have Gretschs don't leave them lying around, we tend to look after them.
Cheers Pete.
P.S. If anyone is interested, Twang Central Guitars will soon be carrying TV Jones pick ups.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 9:12 pm

Not an Aussie, but i think that lass was talking out her *ss. hahah
Btw kid, Humidity is relative. You want some moisture but not too much. Like keeping a cigar. Treat your guitars like cigars and your good! haha
IF you don't smoke thats ok! neither do I Laughing
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 9:59 pm

Mike wrote:
Btw kid, Humidity is relative. You want some moisture but not too much. Like keeping a cigar. Treat your guitars like cigars and your good! haha

Haha no I don't smoke... but I'll take that information on board Razz

Kid.
Back to top Go down
Vinny

Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 12:23 am

Kid Setzer wrote:
Mike wrote:

Kid.

.....also....dont smoke your guitars...
Back to top Go down
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 3:02 pm

Very good point Vinny!!! maybe i should be a little more specific eh? If i ever smoked a guitar, i'd hope the laquer would kill me!
1. I'd deserve it!
2. Why live without a guitar???
Back to top Go down
Niblos

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 7:36 pm

If Gretsch can stand the humidity in North Carolina I think it'll stand up to anything! Ugh!
Back to top Go down
Eddie Lee

Eddie Lee

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 10:06 pm

Vinny wrote:
Kid Setzer wrote:
Mike wrote:

Kid.

.....also....dont smoke your guitars...

...But it's ok to play a smokin' guitar! jocolor
Back to top Go down
http://www.thefunnbrothers.com
Vinny

Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 12:03 am

Eddie Lee wrote:

...But it's ok to play a smokin' guitar! jocolor

touche' Eddie
Back to top Go down
jacko

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 2:24 am

my gretsch here in melbourne holds up ok, i dont think the weather is that extreme here tho
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 3:00 am

jacko wrote:
my gretsch here in melbourne holds up ok, i dont think the weather is that extreme here tho

Yeah it gets really humid up here in Queensland, the neck of my guitar moves a bit when it gets humid.. or maybe I just have a crap guitar Razz

Kid.
Back to top Go down
shaker

shaker

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 8:25 am

andi wrote:
I was told that Gretsch guitars fall apart in the dry Australian climate, and that's why there is no Australian Gretsch wholesaler. The lass told me that she had two Gretsches that she bought while living in the US and upon returning to Australia the laminate started coming apart.

I know there are plenty of authorised Gretsch dealers in this country and plenty of Aussie bands that play them. Anyone care to comment?

Sounds more like of a case they simply don't want to stock Gretsch guitars!

Gretsch Guitars are distributed in Australia by Fender . Does your local music shop stock Fender? If so they can stock Gretsch guitars!!

This is from the Fender AU website showing the list of shops stocking Gretsch in QLD Gretsch Dealers in Aust

Cheers
John
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 8:42 am

[quote="Shaker"]
andi wrote:

Gretsch Guitars are distributed in Australia by Fender . Does your local music shop stock Fender? If so they can stock Gretsch guitars!!

Cheers
John

Hi John,

it is not everywhere like this.
my local Guitar dealer and mechanic is a traditonell Fender dealer for about 20 years.
I ask him for Gretsch guitars and parts, because Gretsch belongs to Fender.
He told me, he has to pay extra money for selling Gretsch guitars and he cannot order parts if he not sign a special Gretsch contract. They have several departments for both brands.
He repairs my Gretsch, but if i need new parts i have to go to another shop. Suspect

Cheers

J
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rhythm56
shaker

shaker

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 9:10 am

[quote="brett"]
Shaker wrote:
andi wrote:

Cheers
John

Hi John,

it is not everywhere like this.
my local Guitar dealer and mechanic is a traditonell Fender dealer for about 20 years.
I ask him for Gretsch guitars and parts, because Gretsch belongs to Fender.
He told me, he has to pay extra money for selling Gretsch guitars and he cannot order parts if he not sign a special Gretsch contract. They have several departments for both brands.
He repairs my Gretsch, but if i need new parts i have to go to another shop. Suspect

Cheers

J

Hi Brett

It is downunder Very Happy

In Australia Gretsch are distributed nationally by Fender Australia Pty Ltd Check out the Fender Australia/Gretsch website.

Cheers
John
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 9:50 am

@shaker,

yep, maybe in Australia Fender/Gretsch is different.

by the way, i checked your website. I like your sound. very cool.
And what a schedule!!!!

Your guys have to work. congratulation... Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rhythm56
shaker

shaker

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 8:53 pm

brett wrote:
@shaker,

yep, maybe in Australia Fender/Gretsch is different.

by the way, i checked your website. I like your sound. very cool.
And what a schedule!!!!

Your guys have to work. congratulation... Wink

Thanks Brett,
I also work in another band as well, Reb Baker & The Houseshakers Very Happy

Cheers
John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gretsch vs. Australia   Gretsch vs. Australia Empty

Back to top Go down

Gretsch vs. Australia