The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Newbie wanting a Gretsch

Go down 
+7
setzerino
alka-setzer
1954inMemphis
csu-csu
PICKIN' PETE
ArtVandelay
pony65k
11 posters
AuthorMessage
pony65k

pony65k

Newbie wanting a Gretsch Empty
PostSubject: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 2:39 am

Hey all.

I'm taking the plunge and am going to learn (or try to!!) to play guitar. Being a Cats/BS/LR nut, it has to be a Gretsch. What's the big difference between Hollow Bodies like the Brian Setzer collection and the Electromatic series? I know the more expensive ones are made in Japan while the Electro's are made in Korea/China. Just wondering which guitar to go for. I know if I spend the extra to get a Stezer model, I probably won't loose as I assume they won't go down in value unless they've been beaten up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

René
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 2:51 am

I don't know how much you want to spend but the 5120 is an amazing guitar for it's price and has the rockabilly look. ($600)
Newbie wanting a Gretsch Gretsc10
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ledzeppelin92
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 2:51 am

Hey Rene`,
I've played a Setzer Hot Rod since '99. I don't think the Electromatic series was out yet? Anyways, I personally believe in buying a Gretsch because it seems the majority of people end up upgrading the Electromatics. To me this equals $$ and down time. I guess it depends on how much ya wanna spend.
If your interested, send me a PM as I have some good friends that own guitar shops and can get you a good deal.
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 3:08 am

Hey Pete.

That'b be cool, thanks!! Think I'll have to wait for a pay rise before I can go ahead though. I will do it, if I don't I'll have a nagging voice inside, and my wife who says I should go for it!! I'm a very lucky guy :-)

Regards,

René
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 3:17 am

Hey man,
No shit this is true, my wife MADE me buy my Gretsch when we were in London!
She knew if I didn't, then I'd be moping and miserable till I got back to Adelaide! hahaha!!
I guess we're lucky that we got good wives!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
csu-csu

csu-csu

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 4:17 am

pony65k wrote:
Hey all.

I'm taking the plunge and am going to learn (or try to!!) to play guitar. Being a Cats/BS/LR nut, it has to be a Gretsch. What's the big difference between Hollow Bodies like the Brian Setzer collection and the Electromatic series? I know the more expensive ones are made in Japan while the Electro's are made in Korea/China. Just wondering which guitar to go for. I know if I spend the extra to get a Stezer model, I probably won't loose as I assume they won't go down in value unless they've been beaten up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

René

there is somany diferent. pickup,tuners,the wood,the bridge,the fret, the nut.
But i'we got an electromatci, and i lik it so much. I'll changed some things on it. shaller locking tuners, graph.nuts etc...
sometimes i'll thinkin' to change the pickup, put after the first sutuio record... I never gonna change it! The sound is fu.in' awesome!!! check out: http://www.myspace.com/thehepcatstrio
Back to top Go down
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 5:17 am

The orange 5120 ist hard to get these days due to the big success. Black and sunburst 5120 are yet in stock.

Many people go and swap the stock pups to TV Jones. And for a little financial effort (~ 200$ ) you´ll get a great sounding guitar, that has no need to hide behind a 2000 + $ Professional Gretsch.

Thats the reason why Gretsch reduced the output of the orange 5120...

If you can get one, buy it!
Back to top Go down
alka-setzer

alka-setzer

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 11:22 am

This is kind of the same but different topic but wouldnt it be nice if Gretsch would offer a Setzer model electromatic. Think about it for a minute, Gibson made the Slash Les Paul available as an Epiphone model. Do you think they know something that Gretsch and Fender doesnt realize? Maybe they realize that most people who want a signature model guitar are just working class people whos level of play dont justify the cost of a "real" guitar or they are just hobbiest who are unwilling to pay the cost of a Fender SRV model or Gretsch Setzer or Horton Heat model.

This is just a thought because I would love a Setzer Hotrod but with 3 Kids2 Cars 1 House, Dogs etc. I probably could scrape together enough money to get one in a year or two, but I would always be thinking that I could have spent that money paying down the house buying clothes for the kids and whatnot. It would be easier to put together the $750 or so for an electromatic signature model. (figure $600 for the base guitar and $150 for the add ons). Even at that price your already into an American Strat, well into American Tele and on the edge of Gibson Les Paul price wise, using USD for example purposes.

FTR I am a hobbiest I play out ocasionally, andI play an Ibanez Af 75 hollowbody.

I would love to hear others thoughts on this

Thanks for listening
ALka/Jon
Back to top Go down
setzerino

setzerino

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 11:28 am

That is a great idea, i would buy it as soon as i had the funds. As soon as i get my electromatic im gonna add the everything i can to make it as 'setzery' as possible. It would be great if this was already done.
Back to top Go down
NJ_Stray_Cat

NJ_Stray_Cat

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 6:19 pm

Rene,
There are many differences in electromatics and the higher end Setzer models. Some already mentioned here. I guess it really comes down to your budget and goals. If you have the $$$, go for the Setzer models. I bought the electromatic myself, because I don't have the cash to go out and get one of the better models (I shouldn't have bought the Strat!). I'm happy with the 5120. From what I'm hearing, if I put some TV Jones pups in it, it will sing. I had planned on using it with my band to, so I didn't want to have a $2000 + guitar when out playing. Best bet is to go try them out and see for yourself. I know you don't play yet, but you get a feel for the guitar and how it's made. Good luck!!!!

On another note, has anybody had any experience with the Fender G-Dec amps? How are they? I was looking for something to jam along with and they seem reasonable. Any thoughts?

Steve
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi all.

Thanks for the comments so far. I'd like opinions on this:

I can get a secondhand Setzer 6120SSL (love the colour) for around $2500 USD (excluding any duties) delivered to my door. Apparently the guitar has no signs of wear etc. I don't know the year, but it's Jananese made (duh). Is this a good price? Definitely beats paying around $4500 for a new one.

Thanks everyone.

Regards,

René
Back to top Go down
jetbunny

jetbunny

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 12:21 am

Pony,

What year is the SSL? If it's a Fender era (2003 to present) that's a good price.
Back to top Go down
shaker

shaker

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:17 am

pony65k wrote:
Hi all.

Thanks for the comments so far. I'd like opinions on this:

I can get a secondhand Setzer 6120SSL (love the colour) for around $2500 USD (excluding any duties) delivered to my door. Apparently the guitar has no signs of wear etc. I don't know the year, but it's Jananese made (duh). Is this a good price? Definitely beats paying around $4500 for a new one.

Thanks everyone.

Regards,

René

Hi René

I own both, a Electromatic ProJet and a Setzer 6120.

I bought the ProJet first because I've always wanted a Gretsch albeit a budget model, that withstanding it is an excellent guitar!

Comparing it to the Setzer though is a little like comparing a Holden to a Mercedes, they both do the same job only one does it so much nicer.

Go for the 6120 though, sounds like thats what you really want Very Happy Very Happy

I'd check first if there are any other costs involved with shipping a guitar in from the states, but $2500 USD is a pretty good price IMO. The Setzer 6120 are retailing for around $5,500 in Australia though most shops will better that.

Cheers
John
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 1:46 am

Jetbunny I don't know the year yet, but I've asked the question.

Shaker, the 6120 is the one I want, how'd you guess Wink I got the import stuff worked out, it adds $420 AUD to the price, so it comes in around the $3200 AUD. Big dollars, but way cheaper than new. I guess when I sort out the year and the condition of the setup, I'll make the decision then.

Thanks guys.

René

Just found out the guitar year is 2007.
Back to top Go down
The Squirrel

The Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch EmptySun Nov 14, 2010 10:27 am

setzerino wrote:
That is a great idea, i would buy it as soon as i had the funds. As soon as i get my electromatic im gonna add the everything i can to make it as 'setzery' as possible. It would be great if this was already done.
Did this with a Historic I once owned. It was pretty wore out so I had some work to do to it anyways.

I put a Bigsby on it, graphite nut, roller bridge, CTS pots, Swtichcraft jacks and switches, TV Jones Classics pickups and Sperzel locking tuners. Since I don't play like B.S. by virtue of my relative lack of talent and just being a different person, that was about as close as I was gonna get.

Not the cheapest mods to do. Took me nearly a year to save up for those parts!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie wanting a Gretsch   Newbie wanting a Gretsch Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie wanting a Gretsch
Page 1 of 1