The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The REV covers Stray Cats

Go down 
+6
PICKIN' PETE
Jpequa NY
radioclash
BlastOff
onefin
nola26
10 posters
AuthorMessage
nola26

The REV covers Stray Cats Empty
PostSubject: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyWed Jul 30, 2008 7:46 pm

Pretty cool clip from YouTube. My apologies if already posted...

Back to top Go down
onefin

onefin

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 1:29 am

I saw the Rev about 2 weeks ago at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz he did this song as part of a medly of Music through Time as follows

From the Thread Subject: The Reverend Horton Heat Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:24 am

Greensleeves - traditional English folk song The Rev Said "I'll bet there has never been a mosh pit to greensleeves"
Bill Hailey - rock this joint
Roger Miller - King of the road
Johhny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Stray Cats - Rock this Town
Nirvana - Come as you are
Back to top Go down
BlastOff

BlastOff

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 2:58 pm

The Rev's cover of Folsom Prison Blues is amazing.

So, so amazing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samkieffer
radioclash

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 4:20 pm

BlastOff wrote:

So, so amazing.

I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing another cover of Folsom Prison..

My buddy Kelly had a bunch of shirts printed up to wear to the Viva Las Vegas weekender that said:

"No I don't want to hear your bands shitty cover of Folsom Prison Blues."

Same goes for C'mon Everybody, Bebop-A-Lula, 20 Flight Rock, Good Rockin' Tonight, Honey Don't, and tons of other awesome songs that have been run into the ground. Time to write a new fakebook.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sixgunsuicide
BlastOff

BlastOff

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 4:45 pm

radioclash wrote:
BlastOff wrote:

So, so amazing.

I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing another cover of Folsom Prison..

My buddy Kelly had a bunch of shirts printed up to wear to the Viva Las Vegas weekender that said:

Same goes for C'mon Everybody, Bebop-A-Lula, 20 Flight Rock, Good Rockin' Tonight, Honey Don't, and tons of other awesome songs that have been run into the ground. Time to write a new fakebook.

So we're in agreement then. The Rev's cover is truly amazing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samkieffer
radioclash

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 4:50 pm

BlastOff wrote:
radioclash wrote:
BlastOff wrote:

So, so amazing.

So we're in agreement then. The Rev's cover is truly amazing.

Naaahh.. I respectfully include the Rev in my statement.. Jim Heath is a hell of a guitar player, but I've never been a real big fan of his stuff.
Back to top Go down
Jpequa NY

Jpequa NY

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 6:09 pm

'Never a fan of his stuff'
Go check out ' Spend a night in the box', 'Texas Rockabilly Rebel', and'Big Little Baby' to name a few.
The Rev know's his way around song writing as well as a killer player.
J
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:33 pm

Jpequa NY wrote:
Go check out ' Spend a night in the box', 'Texas Rockabilly Rebel', and'Big Little Baby' to name a few.
J
Hey J.
Gotta agree withya, the Rev is an awesome guitar player and song writer.
Hillbilly Hellcats remind me of a similar vein as well.
Cheers Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
rockabilly guy

rockabilly guy

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 7:37 pm

Try this version.See what you think to a rocked up version by Rudy La Crioux & The All Stars...Folsom Prison Bop.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=10652297

These guys are superb,not only on stage but off as well.Seeing them again at the end of August in Derby.

Radioclash,I get what you're saying about endless covers but have a listen to this.Real Rockabilly.

Cheers
Steve
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rockabilly81
Jpequa NY

Jpequa NY

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyThu Jul 31, 2008 9:05 pm

R-G,
Loved the link.Thats some raw old school Rockabilly(almost Hillbilly).Nice call.
There is another guy that i'm sure everyone heard about,maybe i'm slow on this but,Paul Pigat.
This guys instructional dvd is awesome.He go's by www.myspace.com/cousinharley
A player who 'get's it'.
Being a player myself I just feel my heart drop when he sit's back and plays without breaking a sweat.

Keep it in tune,
J
Back to top Go down
radioclash

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 8:44 am

Jpequa NY wrote:
J

I'm not unfamiliar with his work, I've probably seen him a dozen times live.. It's not that I'm denying the talent, I'm just not a massive fan.
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 9:19 am

radioclash wrote:
Jpequa NY wrote:
J

I'm not unfamiliar with his work, I've probably seen him a dozen times live.. It's not that I'm denying the talent, I'm just not a massive fan.

Another carefully-considered opinion from a man who knows what he likes. I would expect nothing less.

I've seen the Rev a couple of times live, and have a few of his albums, and I respect the loyalty and enthusiasm of his devotees. But I share a similar opinion where I enjoy some of what he does, dig Jim's playing, but can't be bothered to track down every CD or see the Rev every time he comes to the area. I am impressed with how much hype he gets over here on the Setzer forum. And I don't dislike his music. In fact, what I really dig is his sense of humor. But I just don't feel that massive level of adulation for the Rev that he seems to get around here.

Unconverted-billy
Back to top Go down
radioclash

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 9:44 am

rickabilly wrote:
radioclash wrote:
Jpequa NY wrote:
J

Another carefully-considered opinion from a man who knows what he likes. I would expect nothing less.

I've seen the Rev a couple of times live, and have a few of his albums, and I respect the loyalty and enthusiasm of his devotees. But I share a similar opinion where I enjoy some of what he does, dig Jim's playing, but can't be bothered to track down every CD or see the Rev every time he comes to the area. I am impressed with how much hype he gets over here on the Setzer forum. And I don't dislike his music. In fact, what I really dig is his sense of humor. But I just don't feel that massive level of adulation for the Rev that he seems to get around here.

Unconverted-billy

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Back to top Go down
Jpequa NY

Jpequa NY

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 1:20 pm

Well that's to bad.Sometimes you don't have to disect one's music on all these level's to see if somethings 'good' or not.
Comparing this music to that could drive you crazy.Some might say the Cats aren't the real deal either.I don't agree with that but some have told me so.
I was in Guitar center one day when I mentioned the live Cats dvd.The guys looked at me and the first words out there mouths were'Ya but Horton Heat kicks ass on his live dvd'.
J.
Back to top Go down
radioclash

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptyFri Aug 01, 2008 1:32 pm

Jpequa NY wrote:
Well that's to bad.Sometimes you don't have to disect one's music on all these level's to see if somethings 'good' or not.
Comparing this music to that could drive you crazy.Some might say the Cats aren't the real deal either.I don't agree with that but some have told me so.
I was in Guitar center one day when I mentioned the live Cats dvd.The guys looked at me and the first words out there mouths were'Ya but Horton Heat kicks ass on his live dvd'.
J.

I'm not dissecting the music. I'm just stating my opinion on how I feel about the Rev. Wasn't a matter of whether or not he's the "real deal" or not. The man has more than paid his dues, so he probably doesn't give a damn one way or the other if I like his stuff.
Back to top Go down
Eddie Lee

Eddie Lee

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 1:39 pm

"Come on in, boys, the water....is fine!"
-O, Brother, Where art thou? Delmar's line after being baptized in a pond.

Don't know why, but that line popped in my head after reading the last several posts in
this thread!

Hey, Rick, check out this audio link to get your Big Red blood a-boilin'!

http://www.huskerbay.com/new/hailvarsity.mp3

Sorry for the hijack! Carry on! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.thefunnbrothers.com
Pinkpiratekitty

Pinkpiratekitty

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats EmptySun Aug 03, 2008 2:13 pm

Eddie Lee wrote:
"Come on in, boys, the water....is fine!"
-O, Brother, Where art thou? Delmar's line after being baptized in a pond.

Don't know why, but that line popped in my head after reading the last several posts in
this thread!

Hey, Rick, check out this audio link to get your Big Red blood a-boilin'!

http://www.huskerbay.com/new/hailvarsity.mp3

Sorry for the hijack! Carry on! Very Happy

That is one of my favorite movies! I really didn't care for George Clooney until I saw him in that movie. I love blue grass music. cat pirat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kitkattat
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The REV covers Stray Cats   The REV covers Stray Cats Empty

Back to top Go down

The REV covers Stray Cats
Page 1 of 1