The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First record you ever bought with your own money?

Go down 
+30
juice3
HRLtim
Pinkpiratekitty
El Perro
rickabilly
carboncat
Setzerado
Pompado'er
Summerz
alka-setzer
Patrick
oldgreenteeth
onefin
Bigbassape
Mikey
Pirate Paul
gretschoholic
Dave
Bear85
ufopsi
sidelakebob
Kid Setzer
WildCat
Scatman
rockabilly guy
PICKIN' PETE
TommyM
ArtVandelay
ScottS
andi
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Setzerado

Setzerado

First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:45 am

First record I bought with my own money was Stray Cats in summer 1981, I was 14.
Back to top Go down
carboncat

carboncat

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 1:46 pm

A Carl Perkins EP from Tesco's in about 1969 ( I was about 11 or 12) Cool Cool Razz Razz
If I remember right it had blue suede shoes and about another 4 tracks on it.
When I first got it I was conviced it was a compilation,because I always thought Elvis did that one. Embarassed Embarassed
Carbon Cat UK
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 3:08 pm

I had a very generous musical benefactor in my grandparents and parents, so I didn't have to pull together money for any music for some time. My allowances went straight to Big Jim, GI Joe, Jay J Armes, and the various MEGO superhero action "don't call them dolls" figures, baseball cards, and comic books.

My grandfather trolled farm and estate auctions for records and comic books, so as I child of the seventies I was raised on Golden and Silver Age comics, and a healthy dose of r&b, rock and roll, big band, pop, soul, and country 78s and 45s from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Oddly enough, Grandpa never brought me any LPs. I always loved anything with horns, and my favorites from the auction stacks were Mel Torme's take on MalagueƱa (At the Crossroads) Buddy and Ella Johnson's Why Don'cha Stop It, and the flip side to James Brown's I Got You (I Feel Good): I Can't Help It (I Just Do Do Do). One 45 without horns I loved was Jim Lowe's The Green Door from 1956. I still want to know what's been goin' on behind the Green Door.

My favorite 45 as a six-year-old was Bill Haley's Don't Nobody Move. It's great little "freeze" game that my younger brother and I would bop around the house to. I remember thinking how cool it was that Happy Days used Bill Haley's Rock Around the Clock for their theme song. But when my parents tracked it down for me, it was an LP with some groovy 60s or 70s re-working of the tune. Booooo! They did that a lot, buying well-intentioned cheap knockoffs from the Pickwick labels and the like with crap bands covering the music of Elton John, or the Disco Duck series from Peter Pan records.

I wasn't completely a man out of time. I remember lobbying my parents for Paper Lace's The Night Chicago Died, Commander Cody's Hot Rod Lincoln, and a couple of weeks before Jim Croce died, I remember seeing an animated music video of Bad, Bad, Leroy Brown on the Sonny and Cher show and going to a department store with my mother the next day to pick it out. It was my first taste of flipping through the paper-sleeved 45s in search of a vinyl treasure. In retrospect, I'm a little surprised my mother let me have a record with the word "damn" in it. (Somehow, the Starland Vocal Band's Afternoon Delight entered my collection a few years later.) I actually remember the morning my mother tried to explain Jim Croce's death in a plane crash the night before. I was five.

After seeing one of Elvis Presley's final shows, and being completely absorbed with the wall-to-wall media coverage of his death, I think the first 45 I bought with my own money was the single Jailhouse Rock/Treat Me Nice. The Presley records I had before and immediately after that were bought for me. No, wait. Before that. It was Kiss's Hard Luck Woman, though I was partial to the B-side, Mr. Speed. Or was that a birthday present?

Ah, it's all coming back to me now. The first record I put my own money behind was a 1976 K-tel compilation of novelty records called Looney Tunes. It had Witch Doctor, Purple People Eater, Ape Call, My Boomerang Won't Come Back, Shaving Cream, and others, including Haunted House, by the late, great Jumpin' Gene Simmons. All stuff an 8-year-old would eat up.

First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 LooneyTunes

Spot the Looney-billy
Back to top Go down
WildCat

WildCat

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 3:15 pm

onefin wrote:
Its fun to see the lists of first............................. I have a question what would be the LP you are most embarresed of purchasing..................................... mine was shawn cassidy.................. sorry but I still tap my foot when I here Thats Rock and Roll
I refuse to be embarassed by any album I have bought. Evil or Very Mad

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 3:25 pm

Really? 'Cuz I probably have an Asia album I'd sell ya from 1982. It would purge me of my secret pop-prog-rock shame, and you could refuse to be embarrassed by it.

Wait. Nevermind. The garage sale got it years ago. Great. I confessed for nothin'. What can I say? It was the Heat of the Moment...

Pssst... I had the Shaun Cassidy album, too. C'mon! It was the friggin' Hardy Boys! If Lee Majors (The Six Million Dollar Man) had an album out at the time, I'd have probably bought that too! By the time his Hollywood Stuntman thing from The Fall Guy was out, the bloom was off the rose...

Da Doo Ron Ron Ron-a-billy
Back to top Go down
carboncat

carboncat

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi Wildcat
You would'nt believe what I bought next affraid affraid affraid
"I'm a Tiger" by LULU and then SUGAR SUGAR by The Honey's Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Now that shows my age and (bad taste) at the time.
Yours cant be as bad as that Question Laughing Laughing Laughing
Take Care
Carbon Cat UK
Back to top Go down
El Perro

El Perro

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:32 pm

45: Elton John, Crocodile Rock
Full Album: the soundtrack to the movie, Tommy
Back to top Go down
Pinkpiratekitty

Pinkpiratekitty

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:41 pm

American Grafitti sound track

ppk cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kitkattat
andi

andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 1:56 am

Thank you everyone for these little peeks into what makes you tick! Rick, thanks especially for sharing your story - quite an interesting read!

See kids, isn't this fun? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
HRLtim

HRLtim

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:07 am

First record I bought with my own money was the first Aerosmith record.
I heard it on a 8 track in my future brother in laws hot rod Mustang and bought it the next day along
with Kiss 'Destroyer'...mid-late 70's...?
I was probably 13 and I'll never forget it...it started my love for music.
Back to top Go down
http://hotrodlincoln.net
juice3

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:44 am

MATCHBOX:Matchbox lp...that was in summer 1980
Back to top Go down
Cool Irish Cat

Cool Irish Cat

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 5:16 am

First ever record was an LP by Rubettes, then every single and album from Showaddywaddy, mixed with The Clash, Stiff Little Fingers, The Undertones, Rudi, Ian Dury & The Blockheads until the arrival of the Three Messiahs from Long Island and the Rockabilly explosion from Engligh bands as well ie Polecats, Restless, The Stargazers, Blue Cat Trio etc etc.

Oh those were the days

Liam
Back to top Go down
http://liam.mathews@delni.gov.uk
Madman

Madman

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:19 pm

45: Hellraiser - The Sweet.
Back to top Go down
Flatheadjack

Flatheadjack

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 28, 2008 4:26 pm

First album. i am almost positive it was Watt by Ten Years After. Such a good album but no one has ever heard of them.
Back to top Go down
taggy jess

taggy jess

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 01, 2008 7:20 am

Must have been 7" by Elvis "Little Sister / His Latest Flame in 1978.
First non Elvis record bought was Racey "Boy Oh Boy and Matchbox "Buzz buzz a diddle it" if I remember right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First record you ever bought with your own money?   First record you ever bought with your own money? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

First record you ever bought with your own money?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2