The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Guitar Help

Go down 
+14
rickabilly
Buddyrocker
Dibbs Preston
TommyM
Darrel_Higham
WildCat
Guitarmaniac
brent
Patrick
1954inMemphis
PICKIN' PETE
Vinny
brett
markkunie
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Darrel_Higham

Darrel_Higham

New Guitar Help - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 6:33 pm

markkunie wrote:
I am thinking about getting a New Epiphone ES295. You know the gold one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-ES-295-Electric-Guitar-with-Bigsby-Tremolo-518554-i1150073.gc

2 Things bother me though, and maybe you guys can help.

The bridge is not pinned.. Won't it move??
The PUPS are Probably really cheap? What would you do.. and Save $$$$$
I wanna get another guitar but would get one with more functions if the es 295 is not on the menu
I appreciate the Input here Mucho!
Mark K

I bought one of these last year. Its a good guitar, and I quite like it. I had to take the Bigsby off because it was horrible, but as its bolted on in an awkward place, it has left a noticable hole. Which is a shame. I may get around to sorting it out, as I have gigged with it on occasion with some Elvis tribute bands.
The P90s are good and sound quite authentic. I doubt they're as good as the P90s on a Gibson, but they look the part and have a nice sound.
I've found the neck to be quite difficult to get on with. It is a budget guitar, lest we forget, and would benefit from a professional set-up from a skilled techy guy. A luthier would be able to sort out the fret problems I've encountered.
All in all, it looks and sounds great. Its good value, but if you're going to keep the Bigsby (Scotty didn't have one on his as they weren't standard on the originals) then I'd suggest getting a B6 and pinning or glueing the bridge down, as well as bolting the Bigsby into the body underneath the spring. This'll help cut down on tuning problems. Maybe have a metal on bone nut made for it as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/darrelhighamtheenforcers1
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 25, 2008 7:00 pm

Darrel,
I want to thank you for taking the time to reply to this post.

Check it out you guys! Darrel Higham is on the scene. If you don't share my enthusiasm, Google the lad.

Rockin' at the Coconut Top,
Tommy
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
Dibbs Preston

Dibbs Preston

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 10:23 am

Oye Darrel!
How ya keepin' mate?

Cheers,
Dibbs
Back to top Go down
http://www.dibbspreston.com
Buddyrocker

Buddyrocker

PostSubject: Hi Darrel!   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 11:00 am

Hi Darrel! I listened to your CD Eddie Cochran connection vol 2 on the way to work today, you are a great singer an guitar player. Eddie must look down and be very proud of you.

I know this is off topic but I have to ask! I wonder if you have tried out the Gretsch Eddie Cochran model (6120W-1957). If you have, I would love to hear what you think about it, does it nail the sound of Eddie's Gretsch?
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 12:14 pm

Whew! Nothing like Darrel Higham showing up on this forum to make me forget about my Sharon Jones crush... at least temporarily.

I just noticed a couple of Mr. Higham's CDs I don't own yet over on the Raucous Records site. Gotta go!

Psst... people hear about the Cochran Connection CD's over here from time to time - everyone should consider checking out the Burnette tribute (Hip Shakin' Baby), the Ricky Nelson tribute (Believe What You Hear), and any of the mighty fine non-tribute CDs, including the brilliant Kat Men disc with Slim Jim Phantom.

Hope to see ya stateside, Darrel!

Midnight Commotion-billy
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 12:25 pm

I am greatly humbled by the presence of Mr. Preston & Mr. Higham in our little Setzer cyber-world here...

Will it make me stop writing stupid stuff?? No. But I am greatly humbled!

Awestruck,
Budge
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stunt_cycle_adventures
andi

andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 26, 2008 4:29 pm

Budgie wrote:
I am greatly humbled by the presence of Mr. Preston & Mr. Higham in our little Setzer cyber-world here...

Here, here! Seems you stick around here long enough you meet rockabilly royalty! I'm stayin'!
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
alka-setzer

alka-setzer

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 12:55 am

1954inMemphis wrote:
Seems to be a typical female genetic fault....

If I buy a guitar she says: "What do you need THIS guitar for, now? You already have got 10 and you only can play one at a time..."

This said by somebody who owns 40+ pair of shoes and boots... and yes, uncounted numbers of handbags....

I got that one beat by a mile.....I come home with a $400 guitar she says unenthusiastically "oh yea its nice"

I come home with a $10 binder for my music the very enthusiastic reply is "we dont have that kinda money layin around for you to buy that stuff with" Question

Oh well
Back to top Go down
gretschoholic

gretschoholic

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 1:04 pm

Budgie wrote:

Will it make me stop writing stupid stuff?? No.

Thank you! I was a little worried... Laughing

Anders
-stupid too
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/builtforspeedband
Darrel_Higham

Darrel_Higham

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 8:08 pm

Dibbs Preston wrote:
Oye Darrel!
How ya keepin' mate?

Cheers,
Dibbs

Hello mate, hope you're well - Loved the recordings with the new line-up when I visited the myspace site.
Back to top Go down
Darrel_Higham

Darrel_Higham

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 8:19 pm

Buddyrocker wrote:
Hi Darrel! I listened to your CD Eddie Cochran connection vol 2 on the way to work today, you are a great singer an guitar player. Eddie must look down and be very proud of you.

I know this is off topic but I have to ask! I wonder if you have tried out the Gretsch Eddie Cochran model (6120W-1957). If you have, I would love to hear what you think about it, does it nail the sound of Eddie's Gretsch?

Thanks for that, much appreciated. As for the guitar - I played about on one a few years ago and was really impressed. However, I decided to go for the DSW as I felt it was closer to how Eddie's would have been when he first bought it. I really love what Fender have brought to the Gretsch re-issue line. I felt that I should have bought the 57 re-issue because of the Cochran link, but the DSW just had everything that was right. I know it'll need the P90 and fixed arm (which I've already added, the P90 will come later) but it's such a nice guitar. I keep it hanging on the wall at home and rarely gig it. I just like looking at it. If you want a close copy of Eddie's sound and look but don't want the hassle of taking out and adding pick-ups, the '57 is the guitar. But I'd recommend the DSW as I think its better and a bit cheaper (I think!).
Back to top Go down
Darrel_Higham

Darrel_Higham

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 8:23 pm

rickabilly wrote:
Whew! Nothing like Darrel Higham showing up on this forum to make me forget about my Sharon Jones crush... at least temporarily.

I just noticed a couple of Mr. Higham's CDs I don't own yet over on the Raucous Records site. Gotta go!

Psst... people hear about the Cochran Connection CD's over here from time to time - everyone should consider checking out the Burnette tribute (Hip Shakin' Baby), the Ricky Nelson tribute (Believe What You Hear), and any of the mighty fine non-tribute CDs, including the brilliant Kat Men disc with Slim Jim Phantom.

Hope to see ya stateside, Darrel!

Midnight Commotion-billy

Brilliant!! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Darrel_Higham

Darrel_Higham

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 27, 2008 8:36 pm

andi wrote:
Budgie wrote:

Here, here! Seems you stick around here long enough you meet rockabilly royalty! I'm stayin'!

Well, Tommy is a great guy and I've always appreciated his support and kind words. I play this music but I've loved it all my life and am a fan like everyone else on here. I love being a part of it all. Boards like this are a great way of meeting and chatting to people whilst paying our respects to the likes of Brian Setzer, who has played a major role in my understanding and playing of rockabilly guitar. I've always admired his unique style and rate him as the best player I've ever seen or heard. He's taken rockabilly guitaring up to another level and given it a credibility that has enabled the likes of me to make a living from it. For that I will always be grateful...
I like all players within this music, to be honest. Rockabilly is as much about feel as it is technique and some of the best players around today sound great because they play with real feeling.
I'm hoping to catch one of the Stray Cats shows this year, as I've never seen them live. Awful to admit, I know...
Thanks for all the kind words.
Back to top Go down
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 2:52 am

Hey Darrel,
Good to hear from ya! It's good to meet some real life Rockabillys taht are carrying the movement forward! I still have your signiture on my Hofner pickguard next to Brian and Slim Jim. That's gotta push the value of the the thing upwards!! hahaha!!
Cheers Pete.
P.S. Tommy and Budgie love to make fun of my oversized head, where do you stand on such matters of the cranially challenged?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar Help   New Guitar Help - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

New Guitar Help
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2