The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

learning to play guitar, please help.

Go down 
+6
jetbunny
alka-setzer
Vinny
swinginwoody
Doesy
setzerino
10 posters
AuthorMessage
setzerino

setzerino

learning to play guitar, please help. Empty
PostSubject: learning to play guitar, please help.   learning to play guitar, please help. EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 4:57 am

Im having trouble learning to play, the chords are coming along nicely but my problem is this.
I cant use a plectrum, i find it easier to strum with my fingers. I just cant seem to be able to use a pick at all. when i use it i hit the strings too hard and i cant seem to get the movement in my wrist at all. Should i give up trying to use one or is it an essential part of playing the guitar? does anyone have any tips for me?
Back to top Go down
Doesy

Doesy

PostSubject: Re: learning to play guitar, please help.   learning to play guitar, please help. EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 5:06 am

What kind of music do you want to be able to play?

If you want to play all kinds of music then using a plectrum is a must. If you're leaning more towards folk or classical/jazz guitar then not so much.
Back to top Go down
swinginwoody

swinginwoody

PostSubject: Pick   learning to play guitar, please help. EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 8:22 am

You may want to take a look at the gauge (thickness) of the pick/plectrum you are using. Picks come in a range of thicknesses. A heavy or thick pick doesn't flex much against the strings. Try using a medium or thin gauge pick and see if this helps a little.
Back to top Go down
setzerino

setzerino

PostSubject: Re: learning to play guitar, please help.   learning to play guitar, please help. EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 2:05 pm

thanks for the help guys, i,ll try the new pick.
Back to top Go down
Vinny

Vinny

PostSubject: Re: learning to play guitar, please help.   learning to play guitar, please help. EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 6:58 pm

the biggest thing that helps is just stay loose. it should be a very fluid, compfortable motion. Its all in the wrist. Watch some videos on youtube and take notice to how the player uses their wrist and arm, not one or the other to acheive a very fluid up and down. Also. make sure you aren't really shoving the pick in the strings. it should just glide on top.

hope this helps

Vinny
Back to top Go down
alka-setzer

alka-setzer

PostSubject: Re: learning to play guitar, please help.   learning to play guitar, please help. EmptySat Jul 26, 2008 11:47 pm

Im glad to see that people have the same problems I had as a beginner, but not glad your having problems Crying or Very sad .I must have tried 15 or 20 different types and styles of pics,and like you, at first I preferd to just use my fingers. Go to your local music store and buy a couple of different pics(they are cheap enough)and just start playing around till you find one you like.
I like the thin guage star pics because they tend not to slide around as much.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Everly-Star-Grip-Pick-Dozen?sku=110780&src=3SOSWXXB

Although I have never used one you may consider a thumb pick as well. Like everything else the more you do it the more natural feeling it will become.
Back to top Go down
jetbunny

jetbunny

PostSubject: Re: learning to play guitar, please help.   learning to play guitar, please help. EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 3:31 am

It's a beginner's problem.

Hold the pick with your index and thumb. Like you're holding a card. Then stretch your remaining three fingers for a relaxed grip. I also anchor my pinkie in the guitar's body for leverage.

Sooner or later you'll get used to it.
Back to top Go down
pony65k

pony65k

PostSubject: Re: learning to play guitar, please help.   learning to play guitar, please help. EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 7:22 pm

Hey Setzerino.

I'm learning too. I understand your pain. Someone has told me it's all about repetition. How are your fretboard fingers holding up? Mine are in a constant state of numbness.

Keep at it mate, we're the future Wink

René
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/pony65k
NJ_Stray_Cat

NJ_Stray_Cat

PostSubject: Re: learning to play guitar, please help.   learning to play guitar, please help. EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 9:32 pm

Keep up the work guys! As Ringo said "It Don't Come Easy"! Cool
Back to top Go down
rando

PostSubject: Re: learning to play guitar, please help.   learning to play guitar, please help. EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 2:00 pm

Hey guys,

I'm RE learning to play after about 20 yrs off. My fingers feel old, fat, and slow. But they are getting back in shape. My son is learning with a real teacher, so I am learning some things BETTER than when I taught myself. And having to break some old habits. Be sure to learn to use your pinkie! Be able to use ALL your fingers.

As for picks, it is completely subjective. As someone else suggested, but several different thicknesses and sizes and see which ones work best. You;ll lose em all eventually anyway. Rolling Eyes

I like a thicker pick of the large rounded triangle shape, as opposed to the teardrop shape. But can use either. I also use my thumb and first two fingers, instead of thumb/index. I just learned that way and it feels right to me.

The important thing is to keep practicing. I got to practice for 45 minutes alone this morning and it was wonderful. It's hard to find that much time with 3 kids....I didn't even turn the amp on or music or anything. Just me and the guitar and some chords and scales. No songs.

Keep at it.
Randy
Back to top Go down
JonGill

PostSubject: Re: learning to play guitar, please help.   learning to play guitar, please help. EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 5:38 pm

you gotta feel it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: learning to play guitar, please help.   learning to play guitar, please help. Empty

Back to top Go down

learning to play guitar, please help.
Page 1 of 1