The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Question for 5120 Owners

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
NJ_Stray_Cat

NJ_Stray_Cat

Question for 5120 Owners Empty
PostSubject: Question for 5120 Owners   Question for 5120 Owners EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 5:22 pm

I just bought my first Gretsch yesterday and lovin' it. I realized now there's some buzzing goin' on. Did anybody else have this issue with their's? All the hardware seems to be tight. The more I think about it the more I think it's fret buzz. I can't hear it through the amp. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: Question for 5120 Owners   Question for 5120 Owners EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 5:40 pm

I've got that same thing goin' on with my one, but I think it comes from the Bridge.
I'm going to bring the guitar to my local guitar store and let them check everything.
Back to top Go down
stray matt

stray matt

PostSubject: Re: Question for 5120 Owners   Question for 5120 Owners EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 5:53 pm

its the pickups ye have to change them there is a thread
on another part of the forum about this somewhere
Back to top Go down
erlomd32

PostSubject: Buzzin Problems   Question for 5120 Owners EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 7:05 pm

I had the same problem? with mine it was that the string gauge was too thin. if they are thin gauge strings like 8 or 9 then bring the bridge up, the smaller the gauge string, the more loose they are and tend to buzz against the frets. if i were you that would be a good start....try adusting the bridge up every full turn on each side and then play it to see how better or worse it is. also, have you moved the bridge? in doing this it narrows or widens the stings to the frets...probably if you removed the paper underneith the bridge. or probably its cause it just needs to be set up right. these 5120 (like mine) are quickly massed produced and dont have that fine tunning of the truss rod and bridge for that perfect feel. so if you feel the need to...hop on down to a local guitar shop so that they can take a look at it.
great guitar though...aint nothing else you can get for a better price. thats why i got one....
Check out my 5120 I had the works done to it:
Changed the: pickups, bridge, tunners, and knobs, I also raised the wammy bar for more comfort
Question for 5120 Owners HPIM2531-1
Back to top Go down
NJ_Stray_Cat

NJ_Stray_Cat

PostSubject: Re: Question for 5120 Owners   Question for 5120 Owners EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 7:21 pm

Stray Matt - can you point me to the right thread? I looked, but no luck.

Er - I thought of the same thing, I've already raised the bridge, but with no luck. I spoke to the salesman, he said to bring it on in and they'll take a look at it no charge. I first may try changing the strings. I use 10's and I thought that's what they cam with, but will change them anyway. Thanks for the tips!

BTW...nice job on your guitar!

Last edited by NJ_Stray_Cat on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Back to top Go down
Vinny

Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Question for 5120 Owners   Question for 5120 Owners EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 8:16 pm

hey, your amp, its cab is from a peavey wiggy amp. I was looking into buying one of them and im wondering what you thought about the sound. I cannot for the life of me find a review on it.\
Back to top Go down
stray matt

stray matt

PostSubject: Re: Question for 5120 Owners   Question for 5120 Owners EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 8:22 pm

I think this is the link Iam talkin about
http://hem.passagen.se/goba666/Gretsch%205120%20-%20total%20makeover.htm
Back to top Go down
NJ_Stray_Cat

NJ_Stray_Cat

PostSubject: Re: Question for 5120 Owners   Question for 5120 Owners EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 10:35 pm

Stray Matt, thanks for the link. Great stuff about upgrading the 5120. I didn't see anything in there about buzzing problems. I'll keep searching! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
erlomd32

PostSubject: Peavey   Question for 5120 Owners EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 3:57 pm

Well, NJ, hope your buzzing problems are gone with soon. I use 10s and they sometimes buzz on some frets but when i changed them to 8's it was a buzzing nightmare. im back to using 10's and its alot calmer....i also changed the bridge to a space control type rocking bridge which i was told helps a ton in noise reduction but i really didnt see it on mine. Good luck

Vinne, the peavey cabinet is such a warm tone. last night i cranked my 250 watt johnson tube amp 3/4 the way and it still was playing warm tones all througout the gig. I did search for reviews on it but no luck. what i can tell you is that it looks killer nostalgic almost like a gretsch amp and the tone comming from the 2 speakes is amazing. i dont know if they have celestions...i think they have that trademark peavey blue speakes in them. My head is tube driven though and thats probably why i get a rich deep tone out of them. cant really say anything on the peavey head since i never tried it.
the amp is enclosed back which it comes screwed in, so you can technically open the back of the cab for the open cab sound.
its a really versitile amp that dosent weigh almost anything (212). I have seen them in the 250 price range at GC. I know that they go for twice that. so if your interested in one do some H.W. and try looking for one in that price range. i got mine from GC at 199 since it had a scuff mark in the back....big deal right!
Great Cab, Killer looks, classic sound great price. good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question for 5120 Owners   Question for 5120 Owners Empty

Back to top Go down

Question for 5120 Owners
Page 1 of 1