The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why do I have to be so damn dumb???

Go down 
+14
Berndt Ottokatt
StanTheMan
Sam
TommyM
Hellvis
peeteycat
Bear85
Mike
Chillicat
rickabilly
Pinkpiratekitty
Kid Setzer
ArtVandelay
Budgie
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? Empty
PostSubject: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 7:43 pm

Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? Buzz

Is it Stray Cats?? Or THE Stray Cats???

Buuuuuuuuuu-dgeeeeeeee Letterrrrmannnnn
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stunt_cycle_adventures
ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 8:03 pm

Yes
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ledzeppelin92
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 8:54 pm

Budgie, sometimes you gotta put 'The' in front of Stray Cats so that it makes sense in a sentence.... uhuh..

Kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:14 pm

Kid Setzer wrote:
Budgie, sometimes you gotta put 'The' in front of Stray Cats so that it makes sense in a sentence.... uhuh..

Kid.

Ahhhhhhhh... like when you put "The" in front of Brian so that it makes sense. I got'cha!!!
Back to top Go down
Pinkpiratekitty

Pinkpiratekitty

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 9:43 pm

If you have the Rumble in Brixton DVD, the insert will clear it up for you. There is no "The".

PPK cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kitkattat
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:27 pm

OK, settle a bet between me and my 5-year-old. Is it "Bear Went Over the Mountain," or "The Bear Went Over the Mountain?"

Answer carefully. There's a 12-pack riding on it. Don't worry - she's not a hard drinker...

The Rickabilly
Back to top Go down
Pinkpiratekitty

Pinkpiratekitty

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 10:59 pm

Is the bear's name bear? Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kitkattat
Chillicat

Chillicat

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 11:36 pm

rickabilly wrote:
OK, settle a bet between me and my 5-year-old. Is it "Bear Went Over the Mountain," or "The Bear Went Over the Mountain?"

Answer carefully. There's a 12-pack riding on it. Don't worry - she's not a hard drinker...

The Rickabilly

5 of the 6 results on google say "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" and the lyrics also specify the article "The" at the beginning of the song....

unless...

the bear's name was Bear.

But i have a teacher's credential that I believe authorizes me to say it's the "The Bear, etc." in my professional opinion.

study
The Cori
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 12:16 am

I just had a buddy from Chicago weigh in. Apparently, it's Da Bears Went Over Da Mountain and Crushed Da Patriots 56-10.

Ditka-billy
Back to top Go down
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 12:37 am

Epic answer Rick!!! lmao
Back to top Go down
Chillicat

Chillicat

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 12:48 am

rickabilly wrote:
I just had a buddy from Chicago weigh in. Apparently, it's Da Bears Went Over Da Mountain and Crushed Da Patriots 56-10.

Ditka-billy

Laughing

well there ya go... gooo beears... /minnesota accent and fargo reference...
Back to top Go down
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 3:34 pm

I'm listening to the Music Player right now, and I just heard "The Brian" himself say "When we started The Stray Cats..." It's in Cat's Story Part 1, at about 0:39 seconds.

So there you go! The guy who made up the name also sometimes forgets to NOT say the "The" in front of "Stray Cats"!
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 4:24 pm

Bear85 wrote:
I'm listening to the Music Player right now, and I just heard "The Brian" himself say "When we started The Stray Cats..." It's in Cat's Story Part 1, at about 0:39 seconds.

So there you go! The guy who made up the name also sometimes forgets to NOT say the "The" in front of "Stray Cats"!

However, if in that particular sentence Brian left out 'the', it wouldn't make as much sense. I think officially there is no 'the' but sometimes you add the 'the' depending on what context you are using it.

Kid.
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 4:42 pm

Kid Setzer wrote:
However, if in that particular sentence Brian left out 'the', it wouldn't make as much sense. I think officially there is no 'the' but sometimes you add the 'the' depending on what context you are using it.

No, you are wrong. Just like if you said that Crowded House was playing somewhere... You wouldn't say "The Crowded House..."

Same way that "Squeeze" is plural... you don't say "Squeeze is back"... You say "Squeeze are back!" The laws of proper grammar do not apply to Rock and Roll!
Back to top Go down
Mike

Mike

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 4:49 pm

The laws of proper grammar are for direct written communication and a basis of knowledge of which to take liberties with for everything else !

so says me!
Back to top Go down
peeteycat

peeteycat

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Is it New Bohemians or THE New Bohemians?

Paul? Anton? Anybody?

Shafer-a-billy
Back to top Go down
http://joefinkle.com
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 5:41 pm

Budgie wrote:
Kid Setzer wrote:

No, you are wrong. Just like if you said that Crowded House was playing somewhere... You wouldn't say "The Crowded House..."

Same way that "Squeeze" is plural... you don't say "Squeeze is back"... You say "Squeeze are back!" The laws of proper grammar do not apply to Rock and Roll!

I didn't say it was universal!! There are alot of rules in grammar, most of them are not universal - for instance " 'I' before 'E' except after 'C'" but there are a few words that do not apply to this... just go with your gut, that's the best option.

Kid.
Back to top Go down
Hellvis

Hellvis

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 6:09 pm

Budgie wrote:
Just like if you said that Crowded House was playing somewhere... You wouldn't say "The Crowded House..."

Shocked Crowded House? Rock 'n' roll?
Squeeze? Rock 'n' roll? affraid

Btw, whoever did the Let's Go Faster cover didn't know there isn't a "the" either, apparently
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 6:25 pm

(((sigh))) you are soooo right Hellvis. The geniuses behind "Rant n Rave with The Stray Cats" also need to be sanctioned.

lol

T
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
rickabilly

rickabilly

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 6:31 pm

peeteycat wrote:
Is it New Bohemians or THE New Bohemians?

Paul? Anton? Anybody?

Shafer-a-billy

Exactly!

Those of you who were outside the US or not yet born in 1989 will totally miss this reference, which may or may not be the root of all this "to THE or not to THE" nonsense.

David Letterman used to have a show on NBC from 1982-1993. It was on later than his current show, and it seemed quite a bit funnier, although I may have just been more immature. In any case, the week Edie Brickell was on the show with her band, Dave would fixate on whether or not it was Edie Brickell and New Bohemians (which sounded odd) or Edie Brickell and THE New Bohemians. It sure amused me at the time, but I guess ya had to be there. When Edie Brickell and New Bohemians finally played the program, Dave, flustered by his attraction to Edie (the future Mrs. Paul Simon), apologized for referring to the band incorrectly, furthering the joke.

And Dave and Paul Shaffer (his band leader) continued their mock confusion over the lack of "the" in front of New Bohemians, possibly making fun of the pretentiousness of it all. And the gag continued when a certain Long Island trio appeared on the program to perform Gene and Eddie. Those of you who have this on video will notice Dave trying to clarify that there's no "the" in front of Stray Cats.

Am I remembering this correctly, or is there more to the story?

I'm-Not-Aware-of-Too-Many-Things-a-billy

PS - Beautiful Avatar, T!
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 6:38 pm

rickabilly wrote:
Am I remembering this correctly, or is there more to the story?
I'm-Not-Aware-of-Too-Many-Things-a-billy PS - Beautiful Avatar, T!

Richard,
That's what happened AND.....my pal with the Grammys and the Gretsches replied....."NO 'THE' ".

rendeer

Ain't this fun?,
T
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 6:56 pm

TommyM wrote:
That's what happened AND.....my pal with the Grammys and the Gretsches replied....."NO 'THE' ".

But there is, of course, a "THE" in front of Brian, right?

RIGHT???

The Budge
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 7:17 pm

Budgie wrote:
But there is, of course, a "THE" in front of Brian, right?

RIGHT???

The Budge

For YOU Budge, of course.
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 8:36 pm

Awesome avatar, T!! But it looks like someone would rather be wearing their Mets shirt...

Just an observation.

Budge Shamsky
Back to top Go down
Chillicat

Chillicat

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? EmptyThu May 29, 2008 1:12 am

so, does the young miss there aspire to be an english teacher?

Laughing

(she's so cute, btw!!!)

where can we get the Stray Cats rompers? that is adorable!
Very Happy
C
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why do I have to be so damn dumb???   Why do I have to be so damn dumb??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why do I have to be so damn dumb???
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next