The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Aspen show setlist

Go down 
+17
Hot Rod Girl
Summerz
BethAnn
jetbunny
rickabilly
PeroxideBlonde
WildCat
peeteycat
TommyM
DrewSugar
Budgie
Setzerado
Gloria
Ponczek007
andi
Scatman
Rocky Mountain Cat
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rocky Mountain Cat

Rocky Mountain Cat

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 3:34 am

Just got back home from Aspen. Great show. Brian was on fire.

The setlist:

Hawaii 5-0 Theme
This Cat's On A Hot Tin Roof
Hoodoo Voodoo Doll
Let The Good Times Roll
The Dirty Boogie
Pennsylvania 6-5000
One More Night With You
Wolfgang's Big Night Out
Honey Man
Jump Jive & Wail
Stray Cat Strut > Pink Panther Theme > Stray Cat Strut
Caravan
For Lisa
Roll Over Beethoven (partial) (Trio)
Runaway Boys (Trio)
Red Hot (Trio)
Route 66 (Trio into full Orchestra)
Rock This Town
Encore:
Gettin' In The Mood
Mack The Knife

(She's) Sexy & 17 and Gene & Eddie were dropped from the original setlist.
Roll Over Beethoven (partial), Red Hot, and Gettin' In The Mood were added to the original setlist.

It's late - time for some sleep. I thought it was a fantastic show. As always, Brian was just amazing.

Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings are the real deal. Check them out.

More later.
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 4:49 am

Thanks for posting the setlist...........sounds like a great show.
Looking forward to more details!

...and Rickabilly finally got to hear and see a live performance of For Lisa!

That's the kinda sugar.........
Scatman
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

Location : Bundaberg, Australia by way of San Diego, California

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 4:55 am

I imagine Roll Over Beethoven is partial on purpose? Sounds like a great song for them to do, would love to hear the whole thing!
Back to top Go down
http://flickr.com/photos/andihazelwood/
Ponczek007

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 11:25 am

Awesome, totally awesome I wish I could've been there
Back to top Go down
Gloria

Gloria

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 11:53 am

Wow, great set list. Mack The Knife!! I miss the BSO summer concert days, but...on the other hand:

One month until Stray Cats at Pacific Amphitheatre! cheers
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 1:18 pm

Thanks Rocky for the setlist. Great list ! A kind of pretty mix between the early days and Wolfie (... And no Xmas songs!)
Glad to see Hoodoo Voodoo Doll is back on the setlist, I've always thought this is one of his best song from ever.
Back to top Go down
Setzerado

Setzerado

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Sorry Rocky, I forgot : can you tell us something about Brian's clothes ? Thanks a lot.
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 1:45 pm

Gloria wrote:
I miss the BSO summer concert days,

Amen, G-Lo!!! Them Boys & Girls need to take that show on road for some warm weather shows!!

Budge
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stunt_cycle_adventures
DrewSugar

DrewSugar

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 2:39 pm

I second that! A small BSO summer tour would be frickin' amazing!!

Let the Good Times Roll!!! (my favorite BSO song) Mack the Knife!!

Waah..

Andy
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Cat

Rocky Mountain Cat

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 6:02 pm

As promised, some details about the show.

The Jazz Aspen Snowmass June festival is a rather low-key, laid back show. Rickabilly, PeroxideBlonde & I were among the first to enter. Grabbed some programs and a drink and went in the tent. Yes, Rickabilly does actually exist.

When Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings' set began there were at best 500 people there. They are great band with a very promising future. It was like seeing a young Aretha backed by James Brown's band. They were tight as can be, going directly from one song into the next without stopping. A 70 minute-long seamless medley of hot funk and soul. They had the crowd into it. Jazz Aspen crowds rarely get up and dance. They did this night.

The late arriving crowd finally made there way in and slowly filled the 3000 capacity tent. They were still arriving 3 or 4 songs into the set. Amazing. Thanks to Rickabilly I was sitting just to the left of center, about 16 rows back. Great seats.

Right at 9:00 the thundering intro to 'Hawaii 5-0' began. Hot. Hot. Hot. The band sounded great, and they really seemed into it. Brian is just tearing it up. There were a lot of grins and laughs exchanged onstage. The guys were wearing their leopard-print jackets, later removed to reveal matching black & red shirts which kinda made them look like 14-man bowling team. Except Big King Fun. He just wore a black shirt. The girls were wearing tight black dresses and were smiling the entire show. They move well. Really well. Brian was wearing a dark, pin-striped suit with a pink shirt. He looked like he was having fun.

Then it was straight into 'This Cat's On A Hot Tin Roof' and away we went. 'Hoodoo Voodoo Doll' sounded great - very tight. That song is hot. Glad to see it back.

A long version of 'Let The Good Times Roll' saw Brian finally adress the crowd with "Hello Fresno!"-Pauses. (Puzzled looks in the crowd...."What did he say?....") "No, I mean hello Aspen, Colorado! I know where we are!"

This much older than average BSO crowd in Aspen seemed slow to get really into the show. As I mentioned, Jazz Aspen crowds are notoriously too cool to let go and cut loose, but I thought that if anyone could pull it off it would be Brian. But even throught the 'Wolfgang' songs they were holding back. They're tough. Everything was well recieved, but no one was going absolutely nuts. Even 'Honey Man' was not as well applauded as I thought it should have been. "C'mon you *#@!ing uptight people" I'm thinking. Then Brian steps up to the mic and said "...I heard it snowed here last week." (It really did!) "I've hurt my knee so I can't Jump. But I can still Jive and Wail!" And with that the dam finally burst and the crowd was going nuts. At last. I knew they could do it. Killer version with extended solos by Brian. Not overdone - just right.

From then on they were Brian's. Totally into it. Ate up the 'Strut > Pink Panther' medley.

After 'Caravan', a big black curtain closed off the rear of the stage, leaving the Trio, with Julie on violin and two clarinets out front. 'For Lisa'. What a treat. Beautiful. When Brian played the opening melody he had the crowd buzzing. It went so well that as Julie and the clarinets left the stage Brian said something like "....do you think Beethoven would've liked it?' And with that the Trio launched into a very loose jam/tease of 'Roll Over Beethoven'. Probably not even a minute long. Just a goof - but very fun to see.

Stray Cats played in San Francisco in August 1982. I was there and for about 15 other Cats' shows. I was especially happy to see the first song they ever released played. 'Runaway Boys' rocked. So nice to see 60 & 70 year olds rocking out to ".... Get kicked out for coming home at dawn...." Spazz killing the doghouse. Tony standing up wailing away. Just a taste of way back when. Same with 'Red Hot' What a treat. Crowd going bananas - singing along.

I think 'Route 66' really blew them away. It started out with just the trio - very cool. Midway through, the curtain opens and the full Orchestra fires back up. Spazz and Tony stay up front with Brian. Great version - cool ending has the crowd eating it up. Then it was 'Rock This Town' to close. Of course, the crowd is dancing madly.

As the song draws to a close and the full band steps up to the front of the stage I see and hear the loudest, longest sustained standing ovation for any act I've seen in Colorado since 1989. It went on and on. I think the band, especially Brian took notice and was touched by it. I was truly proud of the Aspen audience for finally showing they could really give it back to the artist.

A surprise addition of 'Gettin' In The Mood' to the encore went, as expected, over big time. "We should do this every week", said Brian as they came back onstage. "Every Saturday night - let's do it!" (I wish.) The Big King Fun came out and did his thing. Cool stuff.

'Mack The Knife' to close. Perfect choice. Sounds great. The crowd- who of course are thrilled - loves it.

After the show, we wait by the gate to say hello to the band. Remember - Aspen is a very tiny town. Only a handful of people are there. Get to thank a few of the band members. Steve the trumpet player is very appreciative. Brian comes out and gets into a large Blazer-type vehicle backstage. They drive slowly up to the gate. Brian has the driver stop and starts to roll down his window. Then he climbs out and spent several minutes with us as we thank each other for a great evening. I shake his hand and thank him for coming all the way up here. He says "goodnight" and climbs back into the Blazer. How cool was that? The small crowd leaves. A moment later Spazz comes out and is greeted by Rickabilly who says hello from a mutual friend. Spazz lights up and says "how do you know Alvis?" We chat a while and off he goes into one of the many vans taking them to their hotel.

A very enjoyable evening, to say the least. I'd have liked to have 'Rumble In Brighton' or 'The House Is Rockin'' in the set, but I can't complain. Brian was blistering. I hadn't been seen him play live for many years, and he was better than ever. Extending his solos but not over playing. As to be expected from a band that hasn't played together that much recently, there were more that a few clams, missed intros, etc. Brian messed up the vocal intro to 'Gettin' In The Mood'. They just laughed the mistakes off. So did I. I didn't mind one bit as I got to see my favorite musician in my little valley. I hope I get this lucky again.

Sorry for the long-winded post.

Last edited by RockyMountainCat on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 6:12 pm

Oh man, do NOT be sorry for that!! I LOVED reading it! It gave me a little tiny sense of being there, something I've been missing terribly, and I'm sure everyone else reading it is enjoying living vicariously through you as well!

I laughed while reading and my husband asked "What?" so I read parts of it to him and he just looked at me funny. He just don't understand! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptySun Jun 22, 2008 6:22 pm

So it seems like Brian isn't the only person who had a blast in Aspen last night!

SEND PHOTOS!!

I wanna see that Ray Brown suit!!

BSO RULE...ALL YEAR 'ROUND!!

-Tommy
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
peeteycat

peeteycat

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 1:18 am

Here's a photo - and Scatman didn't even help me find it!

Aspen show setlist 21.preview
Back to top Go down
http://joefinkle.com
WildCat

WildCat

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 1:31 am

Scatman wrote:
...and Rickabilly finally got to hear and see a live performance of For Lisa!
GMTA, Alex.... I was scanning the setlist for that with the exact same thought in mind...

cat
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/wildcat794
PeroxideBlonde

PeroxideBlonde

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 2:34 am

I've just returned from the Aspen trip and all I can say is "OH MY GOD!!!" This was my first live BSO show and I am nothing less than completely amazed!! sunny
Let me start by saying..."What Rocky Mountain Cat said!"
Second....When I first heard WBNO I couldn't believe my ears! But last night...being able to actually SEE Brian playing WBNO with my OWN eyes and having the sounds of his guitar fill my ears, all I could think was how blessed Brian is to be touched by God to have this gift! He played effortlessly! The energy he gave to the crowd, the passion of the music, I honestly was on the verge of tears when For Lisa started! (If you knew me well....this isn't a hard thing to do!)
The 14 member orchestra (commonly disguised as a 28-piece orchestra in Aspen!!) was nothing to brush off either. They were high energy, entertaining, involved, and added to the whole evening. When I think of BSO now, I think of "the best of the best" to you all!

I'm going to guess a majority of the audience was over the age of 45 (WAY older than me!! Laughing ) and they were there to be entertained! There were a few of us ("the youngers") who were scolded & told to "SIT DOWN!!" scratch Knowing to respect our elders...we did. And danced in our seats!!

I believe RMC is right, when JJ&W hit, the dam broke & the "screw this! We're dancing!!!" came out! geek From then on it was free game! There was a 50-something couple in front of me that just smiled at each other when "us kids" started dancing around them. But when Stray Cats Strut hit....she was out of her chair dancing with the rest of us! I thought to my self "You go girl!!" I think her honey had a leg injury & couldn't dance or he sure woud've. But she really let it all out!!! YEAH!!

Yes, we tried to sneak into the VIP/Patron area....but sadly, it was well patrolled! Crying or Very sad
RMC and his "eagle eyes" were able to spot the dark black, tinted windowed, GMC Surbaran transporting the Setzers (& approprate protectors) back to Snowmass. So a small (10-12 or so)gathering of devoted groupies waited for any kind of final glimpse or wave from Setzer himself.
WHEN LOW AND BEHOLD he stopped the vehicle, got out & greeted us!! I remember hearing people say, "Thank you for coming out to the mountains!" and, "Really great show!" I was a couple people back and I remember Brian looked back in my direction and all I could say (in a low, timid voice) was
"great!"

For any of you girls out there....Brian looked AWESOME!! Hot! Handsome!
For any guys...Julie was stunning!

I DO have a correction for RMC on the opening act. I believe it was "MISS" Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings!! Very Happy I too, am completely sold to Miss Sharon Jones. She was amazing!

I do have a couple of photos I'd love to upload, but I'm a little technologically challenged. I'd welcome any assistance.

p.s. I KNOW this is going to cost me dearly......SOMEONE please ask Rickabilly what the proper protocol is when "MISS Sharon Jones" says to you, "Give me some sugarr!!" Or did I get that wrong? Did Rickabilly say, "Give me some sugarrrr!!!" Either way....somebody got sumthun!!! We got dah photos!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Scatman

Scatman

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 2:51 am

Thanks for your review, Peroxie.............that was fun to read.
Now we await Rickabilly's full report!

Got any more pix, Peeteycat?
Looks like something our Glo would have taken from right up in front..........

Maybe somebody can get a recording of the aborted Roll Over Beethoven for the music player!

Ooby Dooby,
Alvin
Back to top Go down
peeteycat

peeteycat

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 4:45 am

Who's Alvin? I thought he was one of the chipmunks.

Whatever happened to Alvis? Aspen show setlist L_2ea4a04562905ae5fc6daba3f0ca9b1d
Back to top Go down
http://joefinkle.com
rickabilly

rickabilly

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 8:18 am

That'd be Alvis - boy soprano...

Perfect harmony-billy
Back to top Go down
Budgie
Admin
Budgie

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 9:56 am

rickabilly wrote:

Perfect harmony-billy

Just as everyone awaits Rickabilly's manifesto aboot the Aspen show, he comes up with his shortest post... EVER!!!

Fool-in-suspense-a-Budgie

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/stunt_cycle_adventures
Scatman

Scatman

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 12:45 pm

I am now officially changing Rickabilly's username to:

Rickipedia

C'mon cat, I need my fix............this review will be
available leather-bound, for sure!

Patiently waiting,
Scatman
Back to top Go down
Rocky Mountain Cat

Rocky Mountain Cat

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 3:49 pm

rickabilly wrote:

Perfect harmony-billy

Yeah, I know. I just an idiot who can't spell. What a typo!

A-L-V-I-S.

No 'n'.

Not the chipmunk.

Sorry about that one A.
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyMon Jun 23, 2008 11:21 pm

I wasn't correcting you, RMC - I was merely reminding Peeteycat to use Alvis' complete title. king

Come to think of it, I could have said Alvin - there were a few beers and some whiskey, and when you combine that with the thin mountain air, getting some sugah from Miss Sharon Jones, shaking hands with The Brian, and 3 hours of fantastic live music, I'd be surprised if I could have sustained a coherent thought at that hour.

Rocky Mountain Shakedown-a-billy
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 3:40 am

There's a saying, "If the mountain won't some to you, then you must go to the mountain." So when the Brian Setzer Orchestra scheduled a show at the Jazz Aspen Snowmass Festival, I knew it was time to go to the mountain - literally. A rare performance outside the staple of the Christmas Extravaganza tours, this performance in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado was a show not to be missed.

I don't know what I expected for a festival concert, but I thought it might be outdoors, with the mountains providing a gorgeous backdrop. Well, the amazing scenery was there, but the show itself was held in a large tent that, if I had to guess, probably sat 2500-3000 people. The Festival was very relaxed, allowing patrons to stroll in and out of the gates to enjoy both downtown Aspen and the amenities of the JAS Festival before, during, and in-between performances. Rather than mingling in a crowded, stuffy lobby before the show, concert goers were free to enjoy the atmosphere of the area.

Aspen seemed very quiet and unassuming as the gates to the festival opened. The restaurants around the area seemed empty, the streets relatively quiet. RockyMountainCat then advised me of the extremely relaxed nature of the area residents, accurately predicting that many of them wouldn't show up until right before the headline act, possibly 3-4 songs into that performance. And many of those people paid $1500+ a TICKET! The price they paid for skipping the opening act was, in my opinion, much higher than that.

The opening act, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, absolutely destroyed the stage with their funk-n-soul revue. The 8-piece Dap Kings were every bit as tight as the JBs and the Famous Flames in their heyday with James Brown. I am unapologetically a HUGE early funk and memphis soul fan, and the Dap Kings grabbed me by the lapels and dropped me right into the grittiest, gutbucket funk circa 1965-71. It was a truly visceral experience for this fan. I knew I liked her albums, and the Dap Kings helped make Amy Winehouse's Back to Black album one of the hottest albums last year, but none of that prepared me for the live experience that is Miss Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings. There were smoldering sexy ballads, greasy grooves, and plenty of the smokinest, uptempo, throw-out'cha-hip-and-let-yo-backbone-slip dirty funk that had the tent pulsating, even with a fraction of the tent's capacity in attendance. If any act other than the Brian Setzer Orchestra were about to take the stage, following the Dap Kings and Miss Sharon Jones would have been impossible.

I stepped out of the tent to mop myself off, and grab the lone Dap Kings album I lacked in my collection, when the woman at the merchandise table said "You know, she'll sign that for you if you want. She's right behind you." I turned, and there was the Dap Queen of Soul herself. Having just got religion in the Dap Kings' tent revival, it was a most moving, yet normal conversation. Then again, she used to be a prison guard at Riker's Island, so I guess "normal" is a relative term. Even though she knew I was there for the BSO show, she seemed genuinely touched by my recently-acquired enthusiasm for her music, and as I left, she said "Well, come on, baby! Give me some sugar!" And with that, Miss Sharon Jones kissed my cheek, leaving a big 'ol lipstick mark behind. The merchandise woman looked at me and said, "I'll bet you won't be washing that cheek for awhile. Would you like me to get a picture of that for you?" A picture? I had forgotten how uptight the staff inside the tent was about photography of any kind, so I had tucked my camera away, but as soon as she snapped the photo, Miss Jones interrupted her conversation with another couple and said "Hold up, now! You don't drive 700 miles to see the show and not get no picture with me to take back home!" With that, my Miss Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings experience for the evening was complete!

Oh wait. You wanted to read about Setzer? My bad.

I had great seats for the show, about 15-16 rows back but I kept wondering about all the empty $1500 seats in front of me. With an announcement about 5 minutes prior to the show, the tent began filling up as the Aspen elite finished off their wining and dining outside. I snuck a peak at the setlist and noticed Sexy and 17 in the trio set. Cool. It seemed appropriate, what with all the May-December couples - 60-somethings with their young trophy wives. Perhaps it hit a little too close to home for the locals, as the song ultimately wasn't performed, replaced with an equally suitable version of Red Hot.

People were still milling in as Tony Pia kicked off the evening with the familiar drum intro to Hawaii Five-O. Brian received a decent ovation from the crowd, and many remained standing through This Cat's On a Hot Tin Roof. Brian looked sharp in a brown suit and vest with a subtle plaid pattern, pink shirt, and bolo tie, while the Vixens were beautiful as ever in their black velvet dresses. The orchestra was adorned in their jungle print jackets and lounge shirts, excepting Kevin Norton, who was back with the BSO after missing the last tour, and apparently, his jacket along with it. The BSO had powerhouse after powerhouse tune stacked five or six songs deep, (Hawaii 5-0, This Cat's On a Hot Tin Roof, Hoodoo Voodoo Doll, Let the Good Times Roll, The Dirty Boogie and Pennsylvania 6-5000) but the older, easy-going Aspen crowd appeared to be pacing themselves, as many were seated by the end of Hoodoo Voodoo Doll and yelling for some of us more energetic folks to sit down. People were still arriving 4-5 songs in. Where the hell did they think they were? A Dodgers game?

Anyway, I tried to put the crowd out of my head and soak in all these great songs, several of which I hadn't heard in ages, and eagerly await hearing the Wolfgang material live for the first time. Let the Good Times Roll sounded so great this year! From what I remember from 2005, the BSO previously leaned more to the Quincy Jones/Ray Charles arrangement, but this year's edition incorporated smooth harmonies from the Vixens that recalled Louis Jordan's original version. Steve Reid's trumpet wailed into the stratosphere - I haven't heard that much power that high in the range since the last time I listened to any recordings featuring the legendary Cat Anderson. Pennsylvania 6-5000 was smokin' this night, especially during the guitar-sax duel between Brian and Tim Misica. And finally, after this massively rockin' collection of tunes, the tent was packed and ready for more.

It was about this time that my opinion about the crowd started to change. I realized that plenty of fantastic musicians visit Aspen all the time. With various music camps around the area, the local arts patrons were no stranger to great music of all genres. RockyMountainCat reminded me of the fine classical performances, jazz artists, and even bluegrass festivals that inhabit the area frequently. There is no shortage of accomplished musicians and passionate arts supporters in the area, and yet, possibly 80% or more of this crowd were experiencing the Brian Setzer Orchestra live for the very first time! My indignance and skepticism started to shift to excitement as I realized these people were about to hear their favorite classical works transformed into another of their favorite genres - jazz and big band swing. There would be no "really rockabillies" turning their backs on the music of Wolfgang's Big Night Out, but rather, a group of educated listeners with a deeper appreciation for these arrangements than the fringe MTV Stray Cat Strut fan. Don't get me wrong - the expected hits received the biggest responses - Jump Jive and Wail, Stray Cat Strut, and Rock This Town. But it was great fun to watch the older patrons turn to each other with these smiles of genuine surprise as they recognized Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King, Mozart's Eine Kliene Nacht Musik and the Flight of the Bumble Bee in their swingin' counterparts. I'm still amazed at the precision the band shows at the end of One More Night With You. Of course, Honey Man got a great response. You know it's going to be amazing, but you still watch those fingers fly, praying that Brian's hand doesn't cramp up as he nails every single note.

As mentioned before, Jump Jive and Wail received one of the biggest ovations. Brian referenced the previous week's snowfall, saying that he hurt his leg the other day. I don't know that it was a skiing mishap, but he joked that even though he couldn't jump, he could still jive and wail. And with that, the BSO had the crowd in the palm of their collective hand. Saxophonist Tim Misica was again outstanding - had Brian hurt either of his hands, Tim might have been able to carry the orchestra on his back, he was so phenomenal! Then again, the guitar slinger completely tore up the stage with an incendiary solo that whipped the crowd into frenzied applause.

I'm no Scrooge, but I have to say I loved the absence of Christmas music in a BSO show! I watched as most of the crowd went crazy when the band broke into Pink Panther in the middle of Stray Cat Strut. And the small group set sans yuletide was among my favorite moments in the show. Plenty of people here know how much I love For Lisa, and Tommy's recommendation of the music of Django earlier in the week only built my anticipation for the tune. The Hot Setztet of Brian on the D'Angelico, Julie on violin, Tim Misica on clarinet, Steve Reid on trumpet, and Spazz and Tony on bass and brushes definitely didn't disappoint. When Brian started the solo intro you could hear the legions of piano teachers and former students nod knowingly "ahh, Für Elise." I believe it went over quite well with the jazz aficionados. Brian just grinned at the reception and after Julie, Tim, and Steve left the stage he said "How 'bout that? Roll Over Beethoven," and jokingly launched into a bit of a Chuck Berry groove, and Spazz and Tony just fell into it. Brian had this brief look of "OK, I guess we're going there after all." But it clearly wasn't planned, as Brian was still on the D'Angelico, which wasn't exactly built to roll over Beethoven. Still, it helped set the stage for the next couple of rockin' tunes.

I may be over-selling the hoity-toitiness of the Aspen elite a bit, as a bit of a roar went up for the intro to Runaway Boys. It didn't hold a candle to the reaction to Red Hot, though. Several rows sprang to their feet as Brian, Spazz, and Tony, were totally locked in to their rockabilly groove. Tony did this trick where he spun his flaming tom, and it definitely got a great reaction from the crowd. I noticed Gene and Eddie and Fishnet Stockings were dropped from the setlist, which I was warned was very tentative anyway. It may have been the first time since 1998 I had heard a Setzer show of any sort without either of them. Considering it was a jazz festival, I didn't miss 'em one bit. For me, it was a genuine thrill to hear Route 66, and clearly, it was a classic with which the crowd was most familiar. It started out with just Brian, Spazz, and Tony for a little more than half the song, and then the curtain pulled back to bring the orchestra in on the action. As was the case with Wolfgang's Big Night Out, performed earlier in the evening, the orchestra seemed to be hanging on for dear life, but they pulled it off, and the crowd really seemed to have a good time with it.

There were several points in the show where some of the holiday influence appeared to creep in, like when I heard "bells are ringin'" and possibly a few other holiday lyrics in the middle of Gettin' In the Mood. I mean, it's the same damn song, and lyrics fly by so fast, you can't really blame the guy. And Brian knew it, too, as that Setzer smile lit up the stage, conveying sincere joy to most of the crowd, and a great sense of fun for those of us who picked up on it. Rock This Town, of course, brought the house down. Brian nearly started the song too early, as that full big band intro without the trio beginning is really, really long. But he caught himself with that great Setzer grin, and laughed it off. At that point, it was THE party that was rockin' the Rockies, and elicited the largest ovation of the night.

One of my musical heroes is Bobby Darin. I never had a chance to catch the Vavoom! tour and never thought I'd get the chance to hear another of my musical heroes, Brian Setzer, perform Bobby D's signature tune, Mack the Knife. Brian joked "What key is this in? It's B-flat, right?" And for those of us who are Darin fans, it was the kind of loose banter you'd expect Bobby to launch into before his live performance of the song. It was absolute magic. I attempted to rush the stage, and possibly land a forbidden photo, but was strong armed by the security, who, even on the final tune, weren't about to loosen up. That was fine with me. It gave me a much better chance to kick back, relax, and enjoy the big finish!

After the show, a few of us gathered where the orchestra members were exiting. I had the pleasure of expressing my appreciation to several orchestra members who walked by. We watched as Brian was escorted into a vehicle back behind the barricades, and as we all resigned ourselves to wave goodbye, Brian stops the vehicle and takes 2-3 minutes to visit with the 12-15 fans who were hanging out. I managed a hello to Julie and shook Brian's hand. It seemed all too brief at the moment, but taking in the whole of the evening a little later, it was a fantastic day. 23 out of 50 hours driving 1400+ miles to see a Setzer show may seem a bit excessive to many of you. For me, it seemed just right. My first day of summer will definitely be my best!

I've Got 50 Words More Than I'm Gonna Keep-a-billy

Last edited by rickabilly on Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I could have sworn Brian's suit was gray - the photos show it was, in fact, brown. Mr. Blackwell I ain't.)
Back to top Go down
andi

andi

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 3:53 am

YAY! I've been waiting for this. I haven't even got time to read it and enjoy it right this minute so I'm going to save it till I get home from a meeting in a couple hours... so cool having something to look forward to - thank you Rickabilly!!
Back to top Go down
rickabilly

rickabilly

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist EmptyTue Jun 24, 2008 3:58 am

No offense meant here, Andi, but I had to shut off your Jumpin' Like Mad downloads because they were so riveting and I couldn't focus on writing!

Mutual Admiration-billy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aspen show setlist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aspen show setlist   Aspen show setlist Empty

Back to top Go down

Aspen show setlist
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next