The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why did you buy a Gretsch?

Go down 
+14
1954inMemphis
venturini
Bear85
Mikey
Diggey
brett
Flattop Rob
alka-setzer
donpepe
ArtVandelay
Patrick
webelvis
scatcatcnut
PICKIN' PETE
18 posters
AuthorMessage
PICKIN' PETE

PICKIN' PETE

Why did you buy a Gretsch? Empty
PostSubject: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 5:32 am

Hey gang,
Alot of people ask me why I play a Gretsch?
And I gotta admit that it was cause Brian used one. It's mad because I was playing for years before I was able (read, pushed by my wife!) to buy one. It hasn't made me a better player, doesn't feel better than my other guitars (although it is my main guitar cause it's used the most) and I'm not a tone nut (as I prefer feel and energy and I only picked up my Fender Blues DeVille because it cost me $450 brand new).... so why did I get one?
Besides Brian's influence, I really honestely don't know! Did Gretsch 30+ years ago see a young, blonde haired rockabilly cat and recognized the potentional he had to inspire a legion of faithful customers?
After I got into the Cats, I found Eddie and the such, and The Beatles I knew played guitars, but I never noticed what brand they were.
Is it a conspiracy?!?!?
Let me know, Pete.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/peterporopat
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 8:00 am

white falcon was my dream guitar from about 1975 -was in process of buying a new one in 70's when Baldwin in uk used to import them but it never arrived in uk so deal fell through - bought 2 strats danelectro les paul tele and flying v before eventually bit the bullet and saved up for the WF in 2006 -is almost like a work of art as well as a guitar to me - can just look at it on the stand in wonderment(!!!) playing wise is not the automatic first choice for me - is a strat for versatility etc but vibe wise the WF is just 'it' for me. Eddie Cochran was my first reason for wanting a Gretsch but on investigation back in 75 realised the WF was the one for me!
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 9:12 am

I play a Gretsch, cause I just love their Look ( and also the Sound!)
There's nothing cooler than a orange guitar with oversized F-Holes!!
The reason wahy I bought the one with the Humbuckers was just, that I wanted a guitar that looks like Brian's Rolling Eyes , So it had to be the orange one.
For me personally, I think, that gretsches are just the coolest guitars on this planet!!!

Greetz:
Paul
Back to top Go down
Patrick

Patrick

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 10:56 am

Yeah the Gretsch 6120 f-holes are the greatest!
For instance the Ibanez type.......bbbbrrrr.
Look so dull.
I used to have an Ibanez AM50 about 100 years ago, that Ibanez had real f-holes. Not like the new ones.
oh....by the way, I don't have a Gretsch.
(yet)
Back to top Go down
ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 8:52 pm

Uuuum Brian Setzer plays one. lol! Really it was because in the words of Setzer himself. "This guitar IS rock'n roll." Been playing the thing at Guitar Center for a while and couldn't find a sound that I liked better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ledzeppelin92
donpepe

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 9:06 am

Although it's the coolest looking and sounding guitar ever, there were two cats who played them, Eddie Cochran and Brian Setzer.
Back to top Go down
webelvis

webelvis

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 9:27 am

ArtVandelay wrote:
Uuuum Brian Setzer plays one. lol! Really it was because in the words of Setzer himself. "This guitar IS rock'n roll." Been playing the thing at Guitar Center for a while and couldn't find a sound that I liked better.
Yes, that's it.
At least for me, it ws almost like for Brian himself. He said he bought his Gretsch cause it looked like Eddie Cochrans, and I bought mine cause it looked like Brian's Wink
Back to top Go down
ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Yeah, it's not one of those "gumby" guitars with the jagged edges. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/ledzeppelin92
alka-setzer

alka-setzer

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 8:28 am

I am still wanting one. The reason I want one is I hope someday I can get the same sound out of it that Brian does. I love that twangy jangly sound.

I do however haev a orange Ibanez hollowbody. Yeah I know its not a Gretsch but it has been mistaken for one a couple times.(even buy a guitar center salesman Shocked ) Its not my dream guitar but its as close as I can afford right now.My playing really doesnt justify a more expensive guitar anyway.
Back to top Go down
Flattop Rob

Flattop Rob

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 2:36 pm

alka-setzer wrote:
My playing really doesnt justify a more expensive guitar anyway.

Same here....but, maybe one day, the Big G will come my way. In the mean time, I'm gonna try to find a cheaper hollow body electric substitute, while I bang away on my Stratocrapster clone.... Sad
Rob
Back to top Go down
brett

brett

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 4:07 pm

when i bought my Gretsch (6120) i was nearly 40 and played for many years Strats and Strat-Clones.
I saw this BSO DVD from Japan and was so impressed. A few weeks later i bought an 6120.
My girlfriend called me crazy. But i never had regrets.

So, because of Brian Setzer.

But these guitars are really hot....
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rhythm56
Diggey

Diggey

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 5:38 pm

"WHY DID I BUY A GRETSCH?"

Because I deserve it. Them, all of them. Oh yea, and the Twangy tone and vibe is the best.
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptySun May 25, 2008 8:50 pm

It's a funny thing that certain cars and clothes and hairstyles ooze that rockabilly style, and thbig old Grestch hoolowbody has the same style. It just looks the business. As a novice on guitar, it would have been much easier to learn stuff on a flat guitar, like a tele or a strat, much easier to ahndle and play. But, nah! it has to be the Gretsch 6120, low slung. So I'm on stage playing at Mecca Bingo (Hmmm rock n roll) trying to fill my backing track playing the solo to Can't buy me love and it's so much more difficult with a low slung grestch, but in my fantasy life, i really believe those bingo platers appreciated the look, rather than if i'd have played it much more easily with a high belted strat

Mikey Fenderbilly xx
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyMon May 26, 2008 4:05 pm

Flattop Rob wrote:
alka-setzer wrote:
My playing really doesnt justify a more expensive guitar anyway.

Same here....but, maybe one day, the Big G will come my way. In the mean time, I'm gonna try to find a cheaper hollow body electric substitute, while I bang away on my Stratocrapster clone.... Sad
Rob

I just bought a 5129 on ebay, with a case, for $525 US. Quite a step up from the Chinese strat clone that I got (with an amp and gig bag!) at an Aldi grocery store for $65! So I guess quality-wise, you could say I started at pretty much rock-bottom.

Rob and Alka: Don't be too hard on your own playing ability, and don't think a quality guitar won't make a difference. I spent YEARS mooning over Gretsches on ebay, first thinking Electromatic, then I had the Japanese Annies and Roses stuck in my head, thinking that this might be the last guitar I ever buy, so it had better be good. Then I spent some time on GretschPages, reading what other 5120 buyers thought. That got me back down to earth regarding Electromatics. I had tried one at a Guitar Center a few months back, and it was so much better than what I was playing, but even at the discount price ($599 brand new), it was still kind of pricey. If not for the economic stimulus check, I might still be looking!

So am I happy? Heck yeah! I feel better about my playing, and without even being any kind of guitar expert, it's obvious that the 5129 is a much higher quality than what I was playing. I also got a Fender G-Dec recently, and while it's no vintage tube amp, it does make some great sounds, and it's fun to play with, and it didn't cost a bazillion dollars.

So I figure it this way: I'm having a blast, I didn't go broke, and IT'S A GRETSCH!! It was worth waiting for.
Back to top Go down
venturini

venturini

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 4:04 pm

I wish i could have one 6120 for me...but too expensive here in Portugal!

Best Regards
Back to top Go down
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 2:13 am

Why I bought a Gretsch? Because I needed one... Wink
Back to top Go down
TommyM
Admin
TommyM

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 5:18 am

1954inMemphis wrote:
Why I bought a Gretsch? Because I needed one...

Hahahhaa!! Brilliantly said.

Why am I about to put $2050 on my Guitar Center Preferred Player credit card? Same reason! Hahahaha!

Sitting on the pile of debt,
Tommy "Black Beauty" M
Back to top Go down
http://tommymaguire.com
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyFri Jun 06, 2008 6:05 am

BTW I could need another... tongue Still I am lurking around a 5120 in grampa-sunburst and TV Jones PUs... but this will take a little time until my account is being refilled.... well in about 3 to 4 years. affraid
Back to top Go down
noelweller

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 8:07 pm

I play Gretsch's Because I was a huge fan of Billy Duffy back in the early 80's.
Back to top Go down
psychobilly-bert

psychobilly-bert

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyMon Jun 09, 2008 9:45 pm

I bought my Gretsch because when I played it I knew that no matter the price tag (alot) I had to have it. And it has been a beloved obsession ever since.
Back to top Go down
therealdeal

therealdeal

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? EmptyTue Jun 10, 2008 10:40 pm

I bought a Gretsch because I was looking for a different kind of sound, a sound different from the solidbody Peavey I had at the time Cool . I started out trying 335's, found out that was not the tone I was looking for, and decided to get a Gretsch instead. Been happy with my 6120 ever since! The tone has never failed me, that's for sure! afro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why did you buy a Gretsch?   Why did you buy a Gretsch? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why did you buy a Gretsch?
Page 1 of 1