The Forum That Came Back From The Dead
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A rockin' fan forum that rose from the grave

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

should i buy a gretsch?

Go down 
+8
Davy Jones
raveoned
Wrock
scatcatcnut
alka-setzer
1954inMemphis
Kid Setzer
setzerino
12 posters
AuthorMessage
setzerino

setzerino

should i buy a gretsch? Empty
PostSubject: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 7:16 am

Im 31, and cant play the guitar. When i was 16 bought my first acoustic and had it for around a year, the trouble was that i had my friends and work and i played a lot of football so i didnt have the time (or dedication at that time) to devote to playing it.
Now some 15 yrs later and i have a family and i still love my rockabilly, i have an urge to start learning again.
Am i too old to start learning again? Ive dreamed about owning a gretsch since i was 16 and now i think im going to do it...im gonna buy one.
But is this the right thing to do? should i start on an old acoustic? or should i give in to temptation and buy that big orange bad boy?
I know there are alot of players here so id love some input.
Back to top Go down
Kid Setzer

Kid Setzer

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 7:24 am

I don't think anyone could ever be too old to start playing an instrument or learning something new. There is a man at my University that is at least 75 and he's learning to become a teacher so I don't think age has any limits. As far as buying a Gretsch.. well YEAH! Razz

Kid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 7:27 am

Why not? Learning on a good instrument will provide more motivation than on a crappy ship´s plank. And if you should find out (hopefully not!!!) that playing guitar is not your favourite you will get your money back in case you sell the Gretsch again... stable value comes along with it! king
Back to top Go down
alka-setzer

alka-setzer

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 8:22 am

Hi Setzerino

I was 34 when I started learning to play guitar, I started on an $85 acoustic, as soon as I could fret a few chords I couldnt wait to get an electric. Should you buy a Gretsch? My theory is if you can afford it (the kids will still get fed and clothed right?) then buy the guitar you fall in love with and cant put down. The more you like your particular instrument the more likely you will pick it up and practice. Most importantaly is to have fun with it.

Jon
Back to top Go down
scatcatcnut

scatcatcnut

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 8:36 am

the better the guitar/more excited it makes you etc the more likely it will be that you'll keep at it - plus if comes to worst shouldn't be too hard to sell!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Wrock

Wrock

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 9:08 am

Hi setzerino,

don´t worry, if you want to learn to play Rockabilly, just go for it! I always wanted to play that style since I was 15, played a lot of Blues in between and have started my real Rockabilly guitar attempt only 2 1/2 years back (after turning 38 ). Nowadays there is a wealth of good instruction material (DVDs and also some useful internet resources) to facilitate learning.

I also completely agree to the other posts here: Learning is much more fun on a good sounding / playable instrument than on an old log. And if you really want a Gretsch... I am afraid there is also no way to resist Laughing . Because I didn´t want to spend too much money, I first got an Epiphone ES295 some two years ago (with the P90s that I liked over the Gretsch humbuckers on the Electromatic series) but ended up with the "real thing" with "That great Gretsch sound" - 6120. Needless to say that this is the guitar for me now.

So if you can afford the time for learning and the money for the guitar, don´t waste your time hesitating.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
raveoned

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 9:31 am

Not to encourage you further, but if you've always wanted a Gretsch, nothing is gonna satisfy you until you see that actual T-Roof emblem on the guitar you're playing.

I have been playing for about 20 years now, and always wanted a Gretsch. I had hollowbodies that looked like a Gretsch to try and satisfy, but it didn't work.

2 years ago, I got a Tennessee Rose, and I've never looked back. I have to use a Strat for live shows, but apart from that I always play the Tenny. OK, I've snuck the Tenny into some of my Holly shows (I have a pic of Buddy playing a hollowbody at a show where his guitar hadn't gotten to the show in time, so he borrowed someone's guitar).

Also, if you decide the guitar is not for you, a real Gretsch will resell very well. Lower priced or beginner guitars hardly sell well in the secondary market for close to what you want.
Back to top Go down
setzerino

setzerino

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 12:38 pm

Ive been impatient and bought an old acoustic (for some reason it buzzes like hell when you press the E&B strings on the first fret) but im still gonna get the Gretsch, the missus has said i can get one as long as i get rid of my xbox 360 to help pay for it. So i took it to a shop and sold it for 100 pounds so only 400 to go Smile
Back to top Go down
1954inMemphis

1954inMemphis

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 1:31 pm

I assume English pounds? So it´s going to be a 51 Electromatic? Good choice! Good choice!
You might have a look at Mr. TV Jones Website soon... promised! Wink
Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 2:32 pm

setzerino wrote:
Ive been impatient and bought an old acoustic (for some reason it buzzes like hell when you press the E&B strings on the first fret) but im still gonna get the Gretsch, the missus has said i can get one as long as i get rid of my xbox 360 to help pay for it. So i took it to a shop and sold it for 100 pounds so only 400 to go Smile

Good for you. Yer never too old to learn something new. Keep at it and you'll get there. As for the fret buzz, that could be one of several things. The "action" or height of the bridge might be off (perhaps a little low) for those strings. The neck might be bowed (adjust the truss rod). You might have an out-of-crown fret that may need to be fixed. Or, perhaps the simpest thing, maybe the strings need to be changed. Anyway, since you're a beginner, you might want to take the guitar to a pro. tech. at your local music store, as they might be able to help, if you can't figure out a fix yourself.

Good luck to ye.
Back to top Go down
onefin

onefin

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Yes Buy a gretch!
Back to top Go down
stray matt

stray matt

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 3:58 pm

setzerino wrote:
Im 31, and cant play the guitar. When i was 16 bought my first acoustic and had it for around a year, the trouble was that i had my friends and work and i played a lot of football so i didnt have the time (or dedication at that time) to devote to playing it.
Now some 15 yrs later and i have a family and i still love my rockabilly, i have an urge to start learning again.
Am i too old to start learning again? Ive dreamed about owning a gretsch since i was 16 and now i think im going to do it...im gonna buy one.
But is this the right thing to do? should i start on an old acoustic? or should i give in to temptation and buy that big orange bad boy?
I know there are alot of players here so id love some input.

definetly buy the gretsch you wont look back go for it man
Back to top Go down
Mikey

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Depens on Budget!

I have Gretsch, it cost me a coupe of grand (£££ not $$) and, as a musician, i have plated it on stage a handful of times. Then again, i AM a crap guitarist. That said, as a Setzer fan, it's the only guitar i'd consider, so my advice would be go get the Gretsch, learn what you can and flaunt it.

Mikey

Advisory: any advie given within this post should be treated with suspicion and trepidation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.backbeatgroup.co.uk
setzerino

setzerino

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 2:27 am

Ive found one on ebay, and currently im top bidder at £255. considering it comes with the case too, i think its a bargain if i can get it at this price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250269891227&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=015
Back to top Go down
Bear85

Bear85

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? EmptyFri Jul 18, 2008 10:23 am

Setzerino,

Good luck on that auction - looks like a very nice guitar. I bought a 5129 on Ebay a couple of months ago, and I couldn't be happier with it. I play it through a Fender G-Dec practice amp, which has preset tones and rhythm tracks to play over. On this forum, it seems like everyone switches out their pickups and tuners, but for my needs, my Electro sounds awesome just as it is, and stays in tune better than any guitar I've had before, so why change anything?

Again, good luck. If you don't get this one, keep your chin up - there's always another one coming up on Ebay!

Bear85
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: should i buy a gretsch?   should i buy a gretsch? Empty

Back to top Go down

should i buy a gretsch?
Page 1 of 1